Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Again, I don't like Pronman's mock draft at all, although -- as I always say -- I do respect the heck out of Pronman. But the idea that the Devils would pass on Dickinson for Sennecke in particular and, secondarily, Catton for Sennecke? I mean Dickinson falling to #10 is almost a pipe dream of precisely what Fitzgerald seems to covet. As for Catton, he literally plays a similar style to Sennecke and literally does everything better than Sennecke except "be over six-feet tall". I like Sennecke as a 15-20 pick and get that some people like him higher, but I'm not sure how anyone could watch Sennecke and Catton and come away with the idea that Catton is the guy to pass on.
It was Max Bultman who made the Devils pick.

I would definitely select Dickinson if he is available. But I also like Sennecke more than you, and I probably would select him before Catton. However, I haven't watched these prospects as much as you guys, so I wouldn't put a lot of weight for my words. :laugh:

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I would definitely select Dickinson if he is available. But I also like Sennecke more than you, and I probably would select him before Catton. However, I haven't watched these prospects as much as you guys, so I wouldn't put a lot of weight for my words. :laugh:
Well, comparing Catton to Sennecke is interesting to say the least, since they are both similar type players.

Both are line-driving-type forwards who like to possess the puck. They are both good skaters without being particularly high end, but I'd give Catton a slight edge in agility. Both are adequate in the defensive zone without being particularly impressive and who begin to shine once the puck is in their teams' possession.

Both Catton and Sennecke excel in transition. They both like to have the puck and drive their lines into the offensive zone, but both are very accomplished in the ability to dish off if they are being keyed on too heavily by the opposition and find open space to make themselves passing options.

In the offensive zone, both Catton and Sennecke are absolutely exceptional at both creating space and utilizing it. Again, both players are elite puckhandlers and can turn defenders inside-out in order to turn a one-on-one in-tight situation into a window of time and space large enough to create high-danger scoring opportunities. Also again, in any window of time and space both players are exceptional high-vision passers who can quickly anticipate and execute high-creativity offensive playmaking.

Both players are good shooters and scorers, but prefer to do this from the perimeter. Catton shows a little more willingness to go down low and get his hands dirty, but it's not his bread and butter. Sennecke prefers to let his linemates get greasy in forechecking and retrieval of pucks and instead make himself a passing option once they do.

It is important to distinguish that Catton was a C in the CHL while Sennecke was a wing. I'm not sure Catton's game translates to center at the NHL level but at least he has shown an aptitude at the position. This absolutely must be considered a mark in favor of Catton. Whereas Sennecke is a bit better in dangling, I'd give Catton a slight edge in goal-scoring acumen and passing. Both of their compete levels could waver in the face of adversity and neither enjoy being played physically by the opposition, but I wouldn't consider either soft by any means. Overall when it comes to intangibles, Catton gets the nod in versatility and overall hockey IQ, but again Sennecke is pretty good in both respects, as well.

I'd rate Sennecke's compete level as "above average" and Catton's as "good". Neither are high end, since neither are particularly adaptable when space dries up in the perimeter and neither show the same degree of intensity without the puck as with it. But because Catton shows more of a willingness to go to greasier areas, I give him the edge.

I would be interested to hear what @Guadana and @evnted would say about this, but if my only choice at the draft is Berkly Catton or Beckett Sennecke, I'd have to say I'm easily taking Catton. Though they are similar players, Catton offers a slightly higher overall skill set between two players of similar strengths, more versatility, and a slightly better 200-foot game. It's not like a "by a mile" thing in any singular aspect, but it's more cumulative. I think the only thing Sennecke offers over Catton is 6'2 vs. 5'10, but since both prefer the exterior size diminishes as a determining factor. If Sennecke played center perhaps I'd think differently, but I think Catton is the better pick of the two.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Well, comparing Catton to Sennecke is interesting to say the least, since they are both similar type players.

Both are line-driving-type forwards who like to possess the puck. They are both good skaters without being particularly high end, but I'd give Catton a slight edge in agility. Both are adequate in the defensive zone without being particularly impressive and who begin to shine once the puck is in their teams' possession.

Both Catton and Sennecke excel in transition. They both like to have the puck and drive their lines into the offensive zone, but both are very accomplished in the ability to dish off if they are being keyed on too heavily by the opposition and find open space to make themselves passing options.

In the offensive zone, both Catton and Sennecke are absolutely exceptional at both creating space and utilizing it. Again, both players are elite puckhandlers and can turn defenders inside-out in order to turn a one-on-one in-tight situation into a window of time and space large enough to create high-danger scoring opportunities. Also again, in any window of time and space both players are exceptional high-vision passers who can quickly anticipate and execute high-creativity offensive playmaking.

Both players are good shooters and scorers, but prefer to do this from the perimeter. Catton shows a little more willingness to go down low and get his hands dirty, but it's not his bread and butter. Sennecke prefers to let his linemates get greasy in forechecking and retrieval of pucks and instead make himself a passing option once they do.

It is important to distinguish that Catton was a C in the CHL while Sennecke was a wing. I'm not sure Catton's game translates to center at the NHL level but at least he has shown an aptitude at the position. This absolutely must be considered a mark in favor of Catton. Whereas Sennecke is a bit better in dangling, I'd give Catton a slight edge in goal-scoring acumen and passing. Both of their compete levels could waver in the face of adversity and neither enjoy being played physically by the opposition, but I wouldn't consider either soft by any means. Overall when it comes to intangibles, Catton gets the nod in versatility and overall hockey IQ, but again Sennecke is pretty good in both respects, as well.

I'd rate Sennecke's compete level as "above average" and Catton's as "good". Neither are high end, since neither are particularly adaptable when space dries up in the perimeter and neither show the same degree of intensity without the puck as with it. But because Catton shows more of a willingness to go to greasier areas, I give him the edge.

I would be interested to hear what @Guadana and @evnted would say about this, but if my only choice at the draft is Berkly Catton or Beckett Sennecke, I'd have to say I'm easily taking Catton. Though they are similar players, Catton offers a slightly higher overall skill set between two players of similar strengths, more versatility, and a slightly better 200-foot game. It's not like a "by a mile" thing in any singular aspect, but it's more cumulative. I think the only thing Sennecke offers over Catton is 6'2 vs. 5'10, but since both prefer the exterior size diminishes as a determining factor. If Sennecke played center perhaps I'd think differently, but I think Catton is the better pick of the two.
I think Sennecke has more room for growth because of his late growth spurt. I also think that size difference is a big difference for that type of players. However, I appreciate your thorough answer.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
@evnted answered this quite well, but I'm just going to double up and say Dickinson's skating in particular is not what should be criticized. The kid is a terrific skater -- not elite like a Makar or Quinn Hughes, but absolutely a huge plus and a major reason teams will want to draft him.

I think if we're weighing the 2024-class defensemen against each other we have a lot of high-end skaters who are just shy of "elite". All of Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Solberg, Takemchuk, Buium, Parekh -- skating is absolutely a strength with all these kids. I think there might be a bit of discrepancy with how to rank them as skaters, but that's only because they are all so good and so close in that regard. It's just a very strong class on the back-line.

Parekh's upside is Erik Karlsson, his downside is Shayne Gostisbehere.

I probably have him ranked too low because of my preference for more well-rounded defensive types. But Parekh is not some "offensively gifted" guy who does not play D -- he is truly special on the offensive side of the puck.
That's a tantalizing player, but how likely is he to hit his peak and in my view, Gostisbehere is something of a fringe player. In the right situation he can play but he hasn't made nearly the impact expected and I'd prefer a more well rounded defender if I have real questions about him achieving his full capabilities. I think this is where things like interviews and knowing the coaches helps. How much is a guy willing to work on his game and fitness and hockey knowledge to achieve his potential? That won't show by watching tape and it's hard to quantify anyway. I'm surprised teams don't have a good sports psychologist as part of the scouting team. To me that's a significant intangible.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

theyre different flavors of acceptable picks at 10 that i dont really want, hard to say i have a strong preference one way or the other

i like sennecke's off puck anticipation, ability to pry open space, and strong possessional ability in the offensive zone better. i like catton's mobility/transitional play, higher overall skillset, and cerebral decision making better. i can buy sennecke being a more important/diversified add to the team, particularly if he ever leans into his frame. i can buy catton being an easier slot on the roster, particularly if he continues to up his speed

if i had to choose? probably catton. better body of work, and with fewer compete/decision making issues (not to say its a major issue for sennecke or anything). i would marginally value a LW/C projection over RW for the roster. i understand catton played a ton which inflated his totals, but i also wonder what his season wouldve looked like had he had a player of ritchie's caliber next to him. i can definitely buy a sennecke hit being an overall more important piece and/or bigger swing to take, but if these two players are the route we're going at 10, id rather the option i felt more comfortable about meshing with the rest of the pieces. both are top 10-15 picks for me regardless

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

FWIW, Pronman did his own (only him) mock draft on June 5th and also had the Devils taking Sennecke. He's usually pretty plugged into this stuff, so he might have some intel or whispers on the Devils liking Sennecke (probably told Bultman about this, as a colleague).

I wasn't really that interested before, but reading more about Sennecke, I am becoming more intrigued.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
FWIW, Pronman did his own (only him) mock draft on June 5th and also had the Devils taking Sennecke. He's usually pretty plugged into this stuff, so he might have some intel or whispers on the Devils liking Sennecke (probably told Bultman about this, as a colleague).

I wasn't really that interested before, but reading more about Sennecke, I am becoming more intrigued.

He’s definitely very interesting. It seems like he took a bit of time to get used to his body after a big growth spurt and then took off.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Not very interested in Sennecke at 10. Isn’t all that skilled and doesn’t belong near the top 10 just because he had a great finish to his season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

He’s definitely very interesting. It seems like he took a bit of time to get used to his body after a big growth spurt and then took off.

Could be a very sharp development curve if he did in fact grow recently. IIRC I also read some reports he was injured somewhat in the first half of the season, and that may have hampered the production.
Not very interested in Sennecke at 10. Isn’t all that skilled and doesn’t belong near the top 10 just because he had a great finish to his season.
I dunno about this? I don't have any insightful scouting to add on him, but the EP Draft Guide rates Sennecke very strongly on puckhandling, passing, shooting, and hockey sense. They graded him with the 5th "best hands" in the draft. Seems fairly skilled, the question is more why wasn't he producing that well earlier.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Very much disagree, Sennecke is easily one of the most skilled and talented players in this class and absolutely belongs in the discussion at 10. There's not a tool he doesn't flash offensively at a high level and considering his recent growth spurt and great finish to the season it's easy to see him as a player that's starting to put it all together.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I like size. I'm not all in for size guy but I like size. I know how lever is working. But I still would prefer Catton. I woukd prefer Iginla, not Sennecke. I would prefer Catton and Iginla over Greentree.
In the same time I have more than 10 players ahead Catton and Sennecke so mostly I don't care.

BTW I understand questions for Dickinson. He is my top 10 but he isn't my top priority and I would definitely prefer Buium over him. I have questions about his decision making, positioning against transition and against rushes. I think he is in the middle as Defensive defenseman and may be above average as offensive defenseman. But I think his tools are so good so he can be perfect in second pair role as Severson was in his last season when he had 3rd-4th ice time. So I would be happy with him as the pick.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Could be a very sharp development curve if he did in fact grow recently. IIRC I also read some reports he was injured somewhat in the first half of the season, and that may have hampered the production.
It looks like he went from 5-10 in 2022 to 6-3 this year. That’s pretty significant.

DraftKings has him at -130 to be picked under 11.5. They have Helenius at +160 for under 11.5. He definitely seems in play for our pick.

Reactions: bossram

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Feel like Sennecke is actually going to be gone before our pick. I remember both Keller and Pettersson as guys in the 8-12 range on a lot of public mocks but got a lot of hype right before the draft and both ended up going higher than expected. Believe our local guys were high on both and not as surprised as the public however.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Feel like Sennecke is actually going to be gone before our pick. I remember both Keller and Pettersson as guys in the 8-12 range on a lot of public mocks but got a lot of hype right before the draft and both ended up going higher than expected. Believe our local guys were high on both and not as surprised as the public however.
To me, Sennecke is not on the level with Keller or Pettersson in their draft years. Again, this is just my opinion. I don't see him on the level with Catton in this draft year. I like him, just don't see him as a top 10 pick.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I dunno about this? I don't have any insightful scouting to add on him, but the EP Draft Guide rates Sennecke very strongly on puckhandling, passing, shooting, and hockey sense. They graded him with the 5th "best hands" in the draft. Seems fairly skilled, the question is more why wasn't he producing that well earlier.
He’s pretty creative, deceptive, and kind of slippery in a way but I’m not sure his hands are anything that special. He makes nice moves and gets around defenders but that’s more due to his mind and the way he plays. I don’t think it’s something that translates well but think some people get enamoured watching a guy put the puck through a defenders triangle (which everyone can do) even though that’s often not the most effective option and won’t work as often at the NHL level.
Just my opinion.

Will say I love his deceptiveness but just don’t think there’s enough skill with it to pick him at 10

Reactions: evnted

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
After an underwhelming and disappointing season, this an opportunity to retool and add missing dimensions to a team that’s looking to compete. Have a hard believing TF and the committee are going with a Catton or a Sennecke when Helenius and MBN provide more elements to what the team lacks while also not being total reaches (MBN is a bit debatable with the ”experts” but f*** them our experts are better) according to their rankings.

Let’s not forget he drafted Stillman for the supposed qualities and intangibles he had and had he hit would probably be competing for a spot this year or at least be designated call up #1. So I think TF is still looking for those traits and not necessarily more high skill scoring.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not really sure who to root for at this point for the Devils...

Dickinson, Buium, Sennecke? All sound good to a certain extent, but I really don't know.

Devils are set at RD, so I guess I'm mostly rooting for Yakemchuk & Parekh to both be taken in the top 9 to give the Devils the best field to choose from.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Not really sure who to root for at this point for the Devils...

Dickinson, Buium, Sennecke? All sound good to a certain extent, but I really don't know.

Devils are set at RD, so I guess I'm mostly rooting for Yakemchuk & Parekh to both be taken in the top 9 to give the Devils the best field to choose from.
You can add Eiserman, Sennecke, Catton, Iginla, Silayev to your Parekh and Yakemchuk group.
It would be the perfect if they will be drafted in top-9. Because it’s seven names.

Overall Buium, Nygard, Dickinson, Helenius are great to be drafted. At least one more realistically will be available.
Chernyshov, Iginla, Catton and Hage are good.
Lindstrom and Demidov are from dream scenario.
Buium and Dickinson have smaller chance to be available, but chance is still exist for one of them.

Last edited:

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
If Fitz had shown any propensity to trade back, I would be more excited with anticipation for the draft. A trade back with SJ to recover a 2nd and still get a coveted player would be a boon. My only concern would be the Halloween unis at #12. Losing Cutter could make them interested in a player like MBN, which would sting but Hage and the Russian Cherry Pie could be good consolation prizes.

I’d be interested in a scenario like this if the first nine picks go bonkers and say most, if not all of the top ranked D go early, add in some GM or GMs falling in love with Catton and Sennecke and a pool of good potential players still being available that dropping four spots still guarantees them a good pick. I wonder if a player like Eiserman is there at ten, would that entice the Sharks to make a trade. They might be the type of team that might take a chance on him with Wood and Celebrini in the fold and needing a trigger man type player for their young centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad