Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
It's not about talent. We all know he is talented very high hockey IQ. It's just a physical limitation. It's like QBs in football, Kyler Murray and Bryce Young are talented, but they will never win a Super Bowl, they are just too small for the position.

Hutson may be a bit of a unicorn but it's a huge stretch to say we can't win with him.

It's fine to have small players. You need a mix of talent and size. As long as you have that you'll be fine.

The guy has insane talent. And we saw what he did in his first two NHL games, it was like watching Subban when he first came up. The talent is there. I can't belive people are so quick to just give up on this guy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not about talent. We all know he is talented very high hockey IQ. It's just a physical limitation. It's like QBs in football, Kyler Murray and Bryce Young are talented, but they will never win a Super Bowl, they are just too small for the position.
It's a different league and smaller players are having more success than in the past. You're writing this guy off way too prematurely. Martin St Louis was a monster and much smaller. Yeah it was the forward position but he's a good example of what you can do when you surround a player well.

Hutson's young. 5'10 is samll but not ridiculously so. He'll put on muscle in the coming years. Be patient. Let's at least see what he can do. He has star potential, you don't just give up on that.

Having watched him he's a lot like Subban with pull you out of your seat talent. No he won't have the physical side to the game but he's so skilled. He's going to be the most exciting player we've had in years.

Reactions: crosbyshow

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Russell Wilson had no problem winning a SB and should have won a 2nd in a row with the right call. Drew Brees and Fran Tarkenton were also short and dominated the sport.

The issue is if everyone on your team is 5’10. Not if one elite player is.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
+2000 for Catton, basically free money

Berkly Catton SZN

8urcxr.jpg

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
The hyperbole is strong, especially with huge IQ players like Celebrini, Demidov, Helenius, Buium etc around......why do people find it necessary to make ridiculous claims that can not be proven. Just state that Catton appears to be a high IQ player and move on to the next trait, you sound like you are selling Catton Vacuum's in the 70's.
First of all Buium has nothing to do with it cause I wrote among forwards.

I can share my opinion if i want. You can disagree but I can write what I think....

I wrote yesterday that Celebrini and Demidov (close) were before Catton in my ranking.(forwards) I have Catton 3rd then Sennecke Iginla and Lindstrom and I wrote that I like them all in their own way.

Celebrini especially has many things that Catton Dont' have but I analysed their IQ with puck possession and for me, Catton is the best chest player. Celebrini and Demidov close to him.

..oh and I can say that Lindstrom has a average IQ too

Reactions: Toene

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
At the 2017 Combine Suzuki was measured at 5'11 and 183 lbs. Catton this year, 5'10.25 and 175 lbs, but 8 months older than Suzuki was then.

Actually one of the knocks that analysts have on Catton is his translatable ability to dominate from the middle. As I said, I don't think either of the two prospects will be centres. Cattons game is super reliant on playmaking from the inside which I don't think he'll be able to do. We can agree to disagree. But when you have a smaller player built like a high schooler, chances are they'll get eaten up in the middle. Suzuki is at least built like a bull. 5'11 over 210 lbs. The reason Catton plays on the inside more than Suzuki is quite obvious, because he has the privilege to do so I'm juniors. Habs either need a hyper talented player like demidov that is the exception or someone who plays more smash mouth hockey or is a big body. If they want to go sennecke, it is what it is. But Habs should probably be focused on demidov, Lindstrom, or Iginla if team building is the name of the game

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fans will say what they say
Its their choice as a fan. Let's all remember that KH has done way more good than the bad.
I was dispointed when we didn't take Michkov last year. But I understood it. RD stud who can bolster the roster and they felt high on him. Cool.

If they somehow got Levshunov, I'd understand it again. RD. Highest ranked in the draft... okay.

But guys who are in the same tier as the forwards and on the left side? Yeah, I'd be pissed.

Reactions: dinodebino

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
At the 2017 Combine Suzuki was measured at 5'11 and 183 lbs. Catton this year, 5'10.25 and 175 lbs, but 8 months older than Suzuki was then.
You are right

However , only 4 months difference. January for Catton and May for Suzuki.

I see him at 5.10 185-190 at 22 years old.

He was at 163 last September

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Hutson is a D, what don't you understand? MSL was a winger and he emerged at 26 years old. Hutson won't be able to resist physical pressure in the playoffs. He will be a regular season point producer.

It's a different league and smaller players are having more success than in the past. You're writing this guy off way too prematurely. Martin St Louis was a monster and much smaller. Yeah it was the forward position but he's a good example of what you can do when you surround a player well.

Hutson's young. 5'10 is samll but not ridiculously so. He'll put on muscle in the coming years. Be patient. Let's at least see what he can do. He has star potential, you don't just give up on that.

Having watched him he's a lot like Subban with pull you out of your seat talent. No he won't have the physical side to the game but he's so skilled. He's going to be the most exciting player we've had in years.

Wrong, August for Suzuki.

You are right

However , only 4 months difference. January for Catton and May for Suzuki.

I see him at 5.10 185-190 at 22 years old.

He was at 163 last September

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
A three year tank in Montreal is unseen. Just the fact that fans are behind it is a miracle, but I feel like this is the last year of patience.

Fans can’t handle more without breaking down :laugh:
I dont think the problem is fans, its medias...fans have not shown 1 ounce of impatience as of now, bell centre is full every game and athmosphere seems quite cheerful honestly! As long as the front office show us a real direction to move forward I think most fans will be on board, but medias are starting to panic lol

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Hutson is a D, what don't you understand? MSL was a winger and he emerged at 26 years old. Hutson won't be able to resist physical pressure in the playoffs. He will be a regular season point producer.

Wrong, August for Suzuki.
Yep man, my.mistake 8 months

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I acknowledged it in my post. Different positions but Hutson's taller than MSL was and has time to put on muscle.

And he's not going to wait to emerge until 26. Have some patience. No player is guaranteed anything but that would be the same for anyone in this draft.

We've got some good prospects coming in. Give them a chance to show what they can do. Add to the forwards, that's where we need talent.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
First of all Buium has nothing to do with it cause I wrote among forwards.

I can share my opinion if i want. You can disagree but I can write what I think....

I wrote yesterday that Celebrini and Demidov (close) were before Catton in my ranking.(forwards) I have Catton 3rd then Sennecke Iginla and Lindstrom and I wrote that I like them all in their own way.

Celebrini especially has many things that Catton Dont' have but I analysed their IQ with puck possession and for me, Catton is the best chest player. Celebrini and Demidov close to him.

..oh and I can say that Lindstrom has a average IQ too

When I wrote that I went back to make sure that you did not mention forwards....I did not see the bracket at the end if it was indeed there at the time.

And of course you can write whatever you want and you should expect to be criticized for doing so when you make hyperbolic claims....that is how rational discourse works.

So you believe Catton is the best "chest" player.....you need to consider that perhaps you do not have the ability to discern which player definitively has the highest hockey IQ for a host of reasons including the fact that it is a subjective claim made by an amateur viewer.

You do you big guy, I certainly am not telling you to not post your opinion just suggesting a more measured approach and a little more humility as there are many NHL scouts who would call you out on this assessment. Not because you are definitively wrong but because you very likely are not right.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Sorry, but Hutson won't be able to put on much more weight. He is genetically skinny. His brother Quinn is two years older, 5'11 and stuck at 170 lbs. Maybe at 24 Hutson will come to training camp at 170, but as the season will go on, he will lose weight. Look at Aleksi Heponiemi. Very talented, but very skinny. He is now 25 and has not been able to add weight. It forced him to play in the Swiss league last year.

I acknowledged it in my post. Different positions but Hutson's taller than MSL was and has time to put on muscle.

And he's not going to wait to emerge until 26. Have some patience. No player is guaranteed anything but that would be the same for anyone in this draft.

We've got some good prospects coming in. Give them a chance to show what they can do. Add to the forwards, that's where we need talent.

Reactions: Balthazar

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There’s some information they can gain from being that close to everyone. It may not be of the most strategic importance but still new info that us posters wouldn’t have otherwise known

Of course but none of it is about who they are going to draft or who they are trying acquire. They will know about conflicts between players, coaches, upper management etc and can speculate from there. The only time a reporter is introduced to an organizational strategy is because they are part of the strategy and are being used to leak information/misinformation that the team believes is in it's best interest. There literally is nobody that they guard their inner strategic workings more from than the local media.

There are minor tidbits that may be sent a reporters way in order to gain favourable public opinion in an article but it is never anything that they consider to be top secret .

My only point with all of this is reporters are regarded as a necessary evil and teams try to stay in good standing with them as they are essentially an arm of their PR so they will feed them things that don't really matter but these reporters are not insiders and do not have tentacles into the inner circles where the decisions that we are all waiting on are being formulated. I am sure that there has been a dysfunctional organization in the past where an individual leaked stuff to undermine the team but that is very rare and is certainly not the case in Montreal.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Sorry, but Hutson won't be able to put on much more weight. He is genetically skinny. His brother Quinn is two years older, 5'11 and stuck at 170 lbs. Maybe at 24 Hutson will come to training camp at 170, but as the season will go on, he will lose weight. Look at Aleksi Heponiemi. Very talented, but very skinny. He is now 25 and has not been able to add weight. It forced him to play in the Swiss league last year.

There's more than 1 reason to pair Hutson with Savard next year :naughty:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Wheeler is as much a nobody as could possibly be so why would anyone put any stock in his very amateur opinion.

People.....stop giving credit to fake scouts......they are no different to most of the posters on these boards who have not seen these players live, have no scouting acumen and no connections to NHL teams.

For the love of Gawd!
Yeah - button, mccagg- real scouts … much better sources of quality information!

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
When I wrote that I went back to make sure that you did not mention forwards....I did not see the bracket at the end if it was indeed there at the time.

And of course you can write whatever you want and you should expect to be criticized for doing so when you make hyperbolic claims....that is how rational discourse works.

So you believe Catton is the best "chest" player.....you need to consider that perhaps you do not have the ability to discern which player definitively has the highest hockey IQ for a host of reasons including the fact that it is a subjective claim made by an amateur viewer.

You do you big guy, I certainly am not telling you to not post your opinion just suggesting a more measured approach and a little more humility as there are many NHL scouts who would call you out on this assessment. Not because you are definitively wrong but because you very likely are not right.
It is the beauty of a hockey forum .

For me it is not hyperbolic to say that he has the best IQ among forwards.

It is easy to say that Lindstrom is the biggest forwards among him, Catton Celebrini etc..but my grand Mother could say it as well.

I always prefered to watch carefully Iq and vision in hockey cause it is not always in your face like speed and size.

Gretzky had nothing better than everyone else except his IQ and vision so since early 1980's I studied that specific quality in hockey a lot.

A Guy like Ribeiro had nothing...slow like a turtle..skinny like Gretzky, no character no discipline....but what a great IQ he had. I had.him in the first round in 98 wishing that he could take his career more seriously.

On the other hand..Josh Anderson had everything except IQ. The dude is strong...speed, great shot etc..

Look , I watched Berkly a lot and I might be wrong with him but for now I see a wizard a bit like Kucherov man and i prefer him at the same age than Suzuki, Jarvis, Benson...all of them were sub 6.0 but had great IQ as well. All those guys deserved to be drafted higher.

I am confident that few teams will regret to not take Catton him Top 5 but hey I might be wrong..it is the beauty of this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad