Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
This kid is so intriguing man. I'm not super high on him and would rather draft Buium, Demidov with our pick. He's in the next tier for me with Iginla & sennecke.

But man you cannot deny this dudes skill. Unreal player. Whoever gets him is going to look really good in a couple years
Not just his skill. His vision and awareness are second to only Celebrini in this draft. His head is never down, he's constantly scanning for openings and opportunities. He's a true play driver and dual threat, and thinks the game fast enough to almost always choose the most dangerous option while playing at full speed. I honestly get the impression that there's a lot of people who straight up don't watch him or consider him an option cuz they have mental barriers around selecting sub-6-foot players.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
This kid is so intriguing man. I'm not super high on him and would rather draft Buium, Demidov with our pick. He's in the next tier for me with Iginla & sennecke.

But man you cannot deny this dudes skill. Unreal player. Whoever gets him is going to look really good in a couple years
The thing is that it's not those highlights when he carries the puck to the net that impress me the most. In fact..that kind of plays dont' work at the NHL level except for Mcdavid and Mackinnon.

People should instead watch Catton's highlights when he feeds his teammates on the zone entrance and the way he attracts opponants to him etc....

It is where you can see his real genius and it is where it will translate so well in the NHL too.

The dude has the best IQ of this draft ( forwards)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Iginla is probably a better choice as Catton probably won't be able to dominate from the middle of the ice like he has up until now. They'll both probably have to become wingers and Iginla game won't be as hurt from doing so. Nothing against Catton but he's more of a perimeter player. Habs need to learn how to play on the inside more
Catton isn't any more of a perimeter player than Suzuki or Caufield, in fact, I'd say he attacks the inside and, as you said the middle of the ice, a lot more than these two. One of the reason why the Habs have been so sad for decades now is that. We have no one that can challenge a defender one on one and beat him and he have no one that can walk in and expose defenses. Catton can do that. Iggy is my favored pick but it's not because Catton is a "perimeter" player.
Not just his skill. His vision and awareness are second to only Celebrini in this draft. His head is never down, he's constantly scanning for openings and opportunities. He's a true play driver and dual threat, and thinks the game fast enough to almost always choose the most dangerous option while playing at full speed. I honestly get the impression that there's a lot of people who straight up don't watch him or consider him an option cuz they have mental barriers around selecting sub-6-foot players.
Demidov exists but yes hes very good.
This stats is cherry-picked and cutted at 50 goals because his production is also eerily similar to Rossi(120 pts), Petan(120) or Jordan Dumais(109), fwiw.
Yes its stupid to cherry pick numbers like that, Catton is still an impressive player.

Reactions: PavelBrendl

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
im not going to say Buium isn’t going to be a star. I don’t know anymore than anyone here. Truth be told, under different circumstances I’d love to draft him.

But we’re at the point where we’re overstocked in D. To the point where we already are going to have to make trades. And you can’t just bank on trading for a forward. It doesn’t work that easily.

We have a real need up front. To me it’d be crazy not to go that way.
I wouldn't pay attention to Buium's position if he's going against a forward in a different tier. This is probably the last top 5 pick of our rebuild and you should squeeze the most of those in terms of talent.

What Basu has described, though, is a Buium vs Demidov scenario, which is a head-scratcher and precisely what you have described as overthinking it.

Reactions: Gustave

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Catton isn't any more of a perimeter player than Suzuki or Caufield, in fact, I'd say he attacks the inside and, as you said the middle of the ice, a lot more than these two. One of the reason why the Habs have been so sad for decades now is that. We have no one that can challenge a defender one on one and beat him and he have no one that can walk in and expose defenses. Catton can do that. Iggy is my favored pick but it's not because Catton is a "perimeter" player

Actually one of the knocks that analysts have on Catton is his translatable ability to dominate from the middle. As I said, I don't think either of the two prospects will be centres. Cattons game is super reliant on playmaking from the inside which I don't think he'll be able to do. We can agree to disagree. But when you have a smaller player built like a high schooler, chances are they'll get eaten up in the middle. Suzuki is at least built like a bull. 5'11 over 210 lbs. The reason Catton plays on the inside more than Suzuki is quite obvious, because he has the privilege to do so I'm juniors. Habs either need a hyper talented player like demidov that is the exception or someone who plays more smash mouth hockey or is a big body. If they want to go sennecke, it is what it is. But Habs should probably be focused on demidov, Lindstrom, or Iginla if team building is the name of the game

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
For you draft nerds that still want actual prospect break downs, the guys that help out with the black book released videos explaining their rankings and giving their scouting reports on their top 32.

Here's the top 15. Lots of great insight here. I found the Catton discussion really good and also why they have Buium as the best defenseman in this class. Timestamps are in the description.

Reactions: Locks and Deebs

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Now try to explain how skating can be magically detached from IQ since it's mainly a coordination challenge. And how a fast player need to process the game often 30-40% faster than a slower player (Suzuki who is average). Matheson is higher IQ than Suzuki, his issue: he would have to be even higher IQ to just look like Suzuki who plays the same 10-15 plays over and over. Being a forward is a lot simpler than being a D
About that skating, last season:

Top speed:
Mike Matheson: 22.94 mph, 83rd percentile
Nick Suzuki: 23.03 mph, 86th percentile

Bursts over 20 mph:
MM: 113, 75th percentile
NS: 218, 95th percentile

Reactions: Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wouldn't pay attention to Buium's position if he's going against a forward in a different tier. This is probably the last top 5 pick of our rebuild and you should squeeze the most of those in terms of talent.

What Basu has described, though, is a Buium vs Demidov scenario, which is a head-scratcher and precisely what you have described as overthinking it.
If Buium was a no brainer pick… sure. Who’s going to draft Plekanec over Nick Lidstrom? But that’s not the case in terms of projections. Iginla, Sennecke, Buium are all in the same tier. Rankings are all over the place. If anything, Dickinson is ranked higher.

Last edited:

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
This stats is cherry-picked and cutted at 50 goals because his production is also eerily similar to Rossi(120 pts), Petan(120) or Jordan Dumais(109), fwiw.
That's fair enough, we can all agree that 50 goals and 115 pts and 30 goals and 115 pts are very different statlines.

There are also a few caveats. Catton was pretty much all alone on a terrible team, while each of these other guys were on powerhouse teams. I think it was quite accepted that in particular, Petan's numbers were inflated for this reason.

Another being that there's an argument for each of those other 3 guys being legitimately undersized at 5'9" and being flyweights when they were drafted. Although I'm not bothered by Rossi's size, as he's relatively thick and playing at a pretty average/acceptable NHL weight right now. While Catton is merely "undersized", being 2 inches taller and already heavier at the combine than either of the other two are even today.

I also think Rossi was a fine pick at #9, and he could have gone earlier but we'll see how his career progresses.

Reactions: dralaf and Ozmodiar

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The thing is that it's not those highlights when he carries the puck to the net that impress me the most. In fact..that kind of plays dont' work at the NHL level except for Mcdavid and Mackinnon.

People should instead watch Catton's highlights when he feeds his teammates on the zone entrance and the way he attracts opponants to him etc....

It is where you can see his real genius and it is where it will translate so well in the NHL too.

The dude has the best IQ of this draft ( forwards)

The hyperbole is strong, especially with huge IQ players like Celebrini, Demidov, Helenius, Buium etc around......why do people find it necessary to make ridiculous claims that can not be proven. Just state that Catton appears to be a high IQ player and move on to the next trait, you sound like you are selling Catton Vacuum's in the 70's.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
About that skating, last season:

Top speed:
Mike Matheson: 22.94 mph, 83rd percentile
Nick Suzuki: 23.03 mph, 86th percentile

Bursts over 20 mph:
MM: 113, 75th percentile
NS: 218, 95th percentile

Oh another top speed analysis that calculates on 0.1% of skating moments.

Of course Suzuki would burst higher, he's a forward.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Actually one of the knocks that analysts have on Catton is his translatable ability to dominate from the middle. As I said, I don't think either of the two prospects will be centres. Cattons game is super reliant on playmaking from the inside which I don't think he'll be able to do. We can agree to disagree. But when you have a smaller player built like a high schooler, chances are they'll get eaten up in the middle. Suzuki is at least built like a bull. 5'11 over 210 lbs. The reason Catton plays on the inside more than Suzuki is quite obvious, because he has the privilege to do so I'm juniors. Habs either need a hyper talented player like demidov that is the exception or someone who plays more smash mouth hockey or is a big body. If they want to go sennecke, it is what it is. But Habs should probably be focused on demidov, Lindstrom, or Iginla if team building is the name of the game
I think you're mistaken, Catton is also a pretty obvious exception. He's not any smaller than Keller, Point, Marner, Guentzel, Bratt, Panarin, etc.

There's also the fact that he's not "built like a high schooler", he is a high schooler.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Catton isn't any more of a perimeter player than Suzuki or Caufield, in fact, I'd say he attacks the inside and, as you said the middle of the ice, a lot more than these two. One of the reason why the Habs have been so sad for decades now is that. We have no one that can challenge a defender one on one and beat him and he have no one that can walk in and expose defenses. Catton can do that. Iggy is my favored pick but it's not because Catton is a "perimeter" player.

Demidov exists but yes hes very good.

Yes its stupid to cherry pick numbers like that, Catton is still an impressive player.
True on Demidov. Buium and Parekh are also nuts, but I was thinking more in terms of forwards.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you're mistaken, Catton is also a pretty obvious exception. He's not any smaller than Keller, Point, Marner, Guentzel, Bratt, Panarin, etc.

There's also the fact that he's not "built like a high schooler", he is a high schooler.
So, basically… we can draft Peter Parker.

I’m in.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Agree

That's fair enough, we can all agree that 50 goals and 115 pts and 30 goals and 115 pts are very different statlines.

There are also a few caveats. Catton was pretty much all alone on a terrible team, while each of these other guys were on powerhouse teams. I think it was quite accepted that in particular, Petan's numbers were inflated for this reason.

Another being that there's an argument for each of those other 3 guys being legitimately undersized at 5'9" and being flyweights when they were drafted. Although I'm not bothered by Rossi's size, as he's relatively thick and playing at a pretty average/acceptable NHL weight right now. While Catton is merely "undersized", being 2 inches taller and already heavier at the combine than either of the other two are even today.

I also think Rossi was a fine pick at #9, and he could have gone earlier but we'll see how his career progresses.
Well, Catton is ultimately a way better prospects than the 3 i named. ainec.

Maybe we should slack the Crosby/Bedard convo tho.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Oh another top speed analysis that calculates on 0.1% of skating moments.

Of course Suzuki would burst higher, he's a forward.
You’ll notice the top speed is also higher.

Also, percentiles are relative to their peers. NS higher in both.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
IMG_6980.jpeg

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton

Maybe it's just me, in my old age, but there is a little resemblance to Doug Gilmour in Catton's compete and game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad