Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The only thing that's iffy on sennecke is his skating and that might be due to the growth spurt. I just hope it's that and not a lack of skating skill like KK
I can’t imagine walking after having grown that much in a year, let alone doing crossovers.

Anyways, it’s all up to how he interviewed. Is he aware of what he needs to improve? if so, is he determined to improve? And if so, is he willing to listen to advice on how to improve?

I feel like KK and Galchenyuk didn’t say yes to the 3rd option. They just did their own thing listening to daddy. Galchenyuk more concerned about having rock hard abs. KK, more concerned about trolling.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I'm kinda sad Chris didn't answer my question on this episode.

"Hey Chris, long time listener, first time caller.
I was just curious how much upside is left for players that are 37 years old like Levshunov?"

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I'm not taking a 2 inch taller Hutson at 5.

That is one hell of a convincing argument in favour of Buium tho.

I don't think he is overhyped tho, he indeed played in a strong program but he was also the leader of this program as a 17YO.

His resume is incredible and i believe he has a case for BPA against any forward in this draft not named Celebrini.

Also, his toolkit is not impressive, from a physical standpoint (skating, hands, shooting for example) i agree. But his hockey IQ is elite, top of the class and that is the most important trait for me.

He is not the best offensive dman of the class, nor the most physical or biggest but he excels at a very high level in every single one of those categories.

I can totally envision Buium being a true 1D with norris nomination. (Ceiling). He does not have the rock-solid big top pair archetype of a Lev, Dickinson or Silayev, but imo, he simply has an higher ceiling than those.

The guy has killed the NCAA at 17, that is big, he is probably coming at the end of next season and although we have many LDs, he would be top of the list.

He is my personal favourite at 5. In fact, he is 2nd on my worthless list. One possible scenario is that he becames a 1D and with Reinbacher will gives us one of the best pairing in the league. We will be in a spot to deal from a position of strenght and the forward we may acquire trading one of our young Ds may be better than the forward we would draft instead.

I also think Buium displays the human qualities we saw in Slaf and Reinbacher. Starpower, charisma, humble confidence, ability to handle the MTL market, etc.

Finally, some forward have great profile indeed, and we are in dire need for offensive punch, but i don't know, i am simply higher on the top defenseman in this class. There is many valid question marks on the forward beside Celebrini and although they are great prospects and we could absolutely benefit from them, i don't think there are players with superstar upside like Buium has, in my humble opinion.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
That is one hell of a convincing argument in favour of Buium tho.

I don't think he is overhyped tho, he indeed played in a strong program but he was also the leader of this program as a 17YO.

His resume is incredible and i believe he has a case for BPA against any forward in this draft not named Celebrini.

Also, his toolkit is not impressive, from a physical standpoint (skating, hands, shooting for example) i agree. But his hockey IQ is elite, top of the class and that is the most important trait for me.

He is not the best offensive dman of the class, nor the most physical or biggest but he excels at a very high level in every single one of those categories.

I can totally envision Buium being a true 1D with norris nomination. (Ceiling). He does not have the rock-solid big top pair archetype of a Lev, Dickinson or Silayev, but imo, he simply has an higher ceiling than those.

The guy has killed the NCAA at 17, that is big, he is probably coming at the end of next season and although we have many LDs, he would be top of the list.

He is my personal favourite at 5. In fact, he is 2nd on my worthless lost. One possible scenario is that he becames a 1D and with Reinbacher will gives us one of the best pairing in the league. We will be in a spot to deal from a position of strenght and the forward we may acquire trading one of our young Ds may be better than the forward we would draft instead.

I also think Buium displays the human qualities we saw in Slaf and Reinbacher. Starpower, charisma, humble confidence, ability to handle the MTL market, etc.
yes.
Will be a star.
Happy to revisit and bookmark everyone that doesn't see this.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Then at that point I’d rather take a chance at the toolsy Dickinson. Because if not, you’re just banking on Buium having the best hockey sense in the NHL in order to carve out a career. I don’t think that’s a smart risk to take at 5.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Then at that point I’d rather take a chance at the toolsy Dickinson. Because if not, you’re just banking on Buium having the best hockey sense in the NHL in order to carve out a career. I don’t think that’s a smart risk to take at 5.

Its a question of preference.

Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium.

Its a matter of preference as they all have things going for them and question marks.

Dickinson is awesome and fits the archetype ofa big, smooth skating, athletic top pair dman with one hell of a cannon.

I personally believe Buium ceiling is in the tier of Makar, Hughes and Fox. I don't see that in any other defenseman, maybe Parekh but im less fond of the profile. Although i see good top pairing D. As for the top forward, same things, i see good top six players with very interesting profile but i don't see any forward with that superstar upside that i believe Buium has.

I think he is 2nd to Celebrini in terms of pure upside.

That is just my personal opinion tho.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Is it about being injury prone ?

Concerns about size is usually moreso about how they will physically handle the play in the post-season, meaning will they be able to play their game or be shut down as the games get tighter. The other concern is will they be able to impose themselves physically without the puck in shut down roles which is equally as important.
Are you talking about 6.3 Auston Matthews and 6.4 Joe Thornton in the playoffs?

Cause in their career they imposed nothing in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Smurf like St Louis Lane , Yzerman, Naslund , Marchesseaut etc etc completely lost them in the dust in the playoffs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm kinda sad Chris didn't answer my question on this episode.

"Hey Chris, long time listener, first time caller.
I was just curious how much upside is left for players that are 37 years old like Levshunov?"
On the other hand, he has to send his kids to college pretty soon, so I guess he's more motivated than most to succeed and make some money fast :dunno:

Reactions: McGees

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Its a question of preference.

Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium.

Its a matter of preference as they all have things going for them and question marks.

Dickinson is awesome and fits the archetype ofa big, smooth skating, athletic top pair dman with one hell of a cannon.

I personally believe Buium ceiling is in the tier of Makar, Hughes and Fox. I don't see that in any other defenseman, maybe Parekh but im less fond of the profile. Although i see good top pairing D. As for the top forward, same things, i see good top six players with very interesting profile but i don't see any forward with that superstar upside that i believe Buium has.

I think he is 2nd to Celebrini in terms of pure upside.

That is just my personal opinion tho.
That’s fair. I think typically you need at least 2 elite traits in order to become a consistent top player in the NHL. Adam Fox is an outlier unless we say vision and hockey sense are different traits. We’d have to bank on Buium becoming Adam Fox to make him a worthwhile 5th pick. It’s a tall order.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That’s fair. I think typically you need at least 2 elite traits in order to become a consistent top player in the NHL. Adam Fox is an outlier unless we say vision and hockey sense are different traits. We’d have to bank on Buium becoming Adam Fox to make him a worthwhile 5th pick. It’s a tall order.

Its a tall order indeed because we are speaking of the best Ds in the world. We can only speculate but in my opinion, Buium is exactly on this track.

Reactions: Rozz

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Everyone is assuming Ducks are set on taking a D but even they are probably strongly considering Demidov.

If I were to put money down right now, both Demidov and Lindstrom will be gone and Habs go Sennecke.
I don't view Sennecke as a consolation prize. I don't care that he would be considered a reach.

A reach is defined by reference to the hundreds of lists internet scouts create by copying each other's takes. Steals and reaches are little more than memes.

Sennecke's upside is such that he could end up the best player in the draft. That's usually worth a top 5 pick.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Buium plays a roving style, but a lot of time on faceoffs/rush plays he's coming up the right side. I'm thinking Montreal thinks he may be a left handed RD, which makes it easier to see where he could slot within the line-up.

As posters pointed out, his play style is very reminiscent of Lane Hutson. If management is still not sure about Hutson, then maybe the best course of action is to draft Buium as a "hedge," especially if none of any remaining forwards are projected to have more than say, a 2nd line impact. If both Hutson and Buium hit, then you can trade one, and defensemen of that nature are rare and in high demand. If Buium hits and Hutson's size limits him too much, you'll be thankful you had the back-up given how rare these types of players are. If Hutson hits and Buium busts, then you'll be disappointed you wasted a top-5 pick, but I have a hard time picturing Buium not playing in the NHL. Of course there's a chance that neither hit, and that's a worse case scenario.

Still, if you're thinking a cup contender has certain archetypes to fill, and a #1 PP D quarterback is one of them, it's understandable why you might go this route especially if the forwards aren't interesting.

With all that being said, I am hopeful that one of Demidov or Lindstrom falls to Montreal, but in a situation where the top 4 is Celebrini/Lev/Demidov/Lindstrom I'd be very comfortable going for Buium over the rest.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Good afternoon we on the Zeev train today? Aight

Dosen't know what a cheat meal is ✅
No ultra tight pants ✅
Sneakers properly laced ✅

Lovely

1000005064.jpg

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Habs have two significant assets under 190 lbs. Caufield and Hutson. Find me a top 5 or top 10 contender with two top of the line-up assets who are under 190 lbs? I don't know the answer but I suspect it's difficult to find.
Pretty easy to find if you’re watching the Finals.

The Panthers have Verhaeghe (180) and Rodrigues (175) - both in their top 6.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty easy to find if you’re watching the Finals.

The Panthers have Verhaeghe (180) and Rodrigues (175) - both in their top 6.

I don't consider those significant assets. Do you think they have Caufield and Hutson value when they are in their prime? I don't.

Look for significant assets. Marchand on the Bruins when they won the cup is one example. Tampa might have had 2 or more though. Kucherov and Point come to mind. I believe Stamkos was slightly under 190 as well.

After helping you, now I fear some fans will try to justify that it don't matter. :facepalm:. This would be like a Leafs fans building their core to the "Pens Model" thinking they can win.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't view Sennecke as a consolation prize. I don't care that he would be considered a reach.

A reach is defined by reference to the hundreds of lists internet scouts create by copying each other's takes. Steals and reaches are little more than memes.

Sennecke's upside is such that he could end up the best player in the draft. That's usually worth a top 5 pick.
I agree his upside is among the best.

Twice now they've went with the large-framed toolsy player. They have alot of confidence in their revamped development team, with reason. If they feel Adam Nicholas and MSL can mold him as they did with Slaf i can see him being their prefererred choice.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Hutson wasn’t a first-round pick, so I see some have an ‘easy come, easy go’ outlook on him.

I don’t think Habs’ brass shares that view.

Has board enthusiasm for a player ever evaporated at a faster rate? And for no apparent reason?

The kid has even grown and added weight but - he must be moved!!!

Weird shite.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:laugh:
Verhaeghe has back-to-back seasons with over 70 points!

“Not a significant asset”.

How about Trocheck and Panarin? Also not significant assets?

He doesn't put up those points on our team.

So you would value Verhaeghe the same as Caufield and Hutson when they are in their prime. Would you trade either of Caufield or Hutson for Verhaeghe? I wouldn't! Good top 6 or high end middle 6 type. People can laugh at this all they want.

Trocheck and Panarin would be significant assets yes. I don't need to look up their points either ;)

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I can’t imagine walking after having grown that much in a year, let alone doing crossovers.

Anyways, it’s all up to how he interviewed. Is he aware of what he needs to improve? if so, is he determined to improve? And if so, is he willing to listen to advice on how to improve?

I feel like KK and Galchenyuk didn’t say yes to the 3rd option. They just did their own thing listening to daddy. Galchenyuk more concerned about having rock hard abs. KK, more concerned about trolling.
I mean everyone is going to say yes to the 3rd question, but there's a big difference in saying it and doing it. And in Galchenyuk's case not listening to Therrien's advice on how to improve was probably actually the right decision since Therrien's advice is genuinely terrible. Sadly his father's advice wasn't much better, but at least with this management we are giving good advice so it's probably no longer an issue.

I'd probably push to have the coaching staff go over game tape with a prospect to try and get a feel for their hockey iq and how coachable they are. MSL has talked a bunch about how when doing video review with players he doesn't like to tell them what they should've done but instead have a conversation with the player about the play in question, what did you see, why did you do this or not do that, etc... That type of conversation with MSL would probably tell you way more about the player then things like what animal would you be.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad