HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Is there a single report that shows the Habs would take Buium over Demidov?

Article by Arpon Basu, title says it all
  • Ivan Demidov could be available at No. 5 for the Canadiens, though they might consider Cayden Lindstrom depending on other available players.
  • Demidov's game-breaking abilities are recognized, but concerns exist about his playoff adaptation, skating, and size.
  • Contractually, Demidov has one year left with SKA Saint Petersburg, potentially limiting his options for development in the KHL or forcing him back to the MHL.
  • SKA Saint Petersburg's preference for keeping Demidov adds uncertainty, with pressure possibly influencing his decision.
  • Canadiens weigh player profile scarcity heavily, alongside team building needs and the concept of best player available.
  • Character is a significant factor; Lindstrom, Buium, and Parekh are noted for their strong character, with ongoing assessments of Demidov's character underway.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
They are going to draft Buium then swap Guhle for Necas the same day. Everyone will lose their mind until a week later they realize it was the right thing to do.
Oh, so Buium is going to be able to step in and play 20+ minutes a night a week after the Guhle Necas trade?

Good to know.

Reactions: Runner77

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The money line means more to me than any publicly available rankings. You'd be foolish to think there's not people in the know who are making a pretty penny off this.

The money line moves off the money flow tho. Not insider knowledge.

Ultimately, insider knowledge may make the money flow a certain way but not right now, i think.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Habs fan will riot if they pick Buium. That name sounds just like Bouillon. Imagine picking Bouillon over Demidov. On the plus side, it might help Carey remember his name this time.

Funny jokes :slaugh:

Fans will be just fine with Buium dw

1000005150.jpg

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Article by Arpon Basu, title says it all
  • Ivan Demidov could be available at No. 5 for the Canadiens, though they might consider Cayden Lindstrom depending on other available players.
  • Demidov's game-breaking abilities are recognized, but concerns exist about his playoff adaptation, skating, and size.
  • Contractually, Demidov has one year left with SKA Saint Petersburg, potentially limiting his options for development in the KHL or forcing him back to the MHL.
  • SKA Saint Petersburg's preference for keeping Demidov adds uncertainty, with pressure possibly influencing his decision.
  • Canadiens weigh player profile scarcity heavily, alongside team building needs and the concept of best player available.
  • Character is a significant factor; Lindstrom, Buium, and Parekh are noted for their strong character, with ongoing assessments of Demidov's character underway.
Nothing here points to them taking Buium over Demidov. That just seems like an irrational hyperbole.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Ainec. Why is this even a debate
Because Guhle is the better all around player. If it was just offence, then I'd agree with it, unfortunately sometimes Defensemen needs to play defense at a high level.

Reactions: dralaf

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'd take the dman who's already established before any prospect. You trade the ones who aren't established, unless you want to be in forever rebuild land.

Reactions: Gustave

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Nothing here points to them taking Buium over Demidov. That just seems like an irrational hyperbole.
Aarpon is reporting what he is hearing around the league and from Montreal.

"From a strictly hockey standpoint, the Canadiens recognize Demidov has game-breaking qualities they lack in the organization. But there is some doubt about whether his style would translate well to playoff hockey in the NHL. "

"But more than the strict hockey questions are the ones surrounding his status in Russia."

"Numerous conversations with scouts and team officials at the combine confirmed the Demidov situation is a total wild card. "

"But scarcity of player profile is not the only consideration for the Canadiens. It is a big one, though.

They also look at team building as a big factor, boxes they need to check as they eventually build a Stanley Cup contender, and also boxes they might have already checked to avoid redundancy down the line. This is why it seems like Buium and Parekh could be in the mix, because while Hutson could potentially check the box of elite puck-moving defenceman, there is no assurance he will. And even if he does, having two defencemen like that would not necessarily preclude the Canadiens from winning."

" This year, Lindstrom left a very good impression on the Canadiens, Buium and Parekh seem like strong-character guys"

I mean what we're you expecting, a statement from Kent Hughes himself stating he would draft Buium over Demidov?

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Be prepared for them to take Buium over Demidov. Basu starting to socialize that to the fan base.

I'll crucify them myself. I let them off the hook on the Reinbacher pick because I liked the player and he filled a clear and dire need.

This one is indefensible.
I think Buium is definitely an option, and I get it, he's an exciting prospect. MO Beaudoin said that our first and second options were Demidov and Lindstrom, in that order. After that, Buium and/or Sennecke. I trust Beaudoin a lot more than Basu; the latter seems to be the type to throw shit at the wall hoping it sticks.

Last year, there was A TON of noise that we wouldn't draft Michkov. This year, I haven't seen anything like that with Demidov.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Aarpon is reporting what he is hearing around the league and from Montreal.

"From a strictly hockey standpoint, the Canadiens recognize Demidov has game-breaking qualities they lack in the organization. But there is some doubt about whether his style would translate well to playoff hockey in the NHL. "

"But more than the strict hockey questions are the ones surrounding his status in Russia."

"Numerous conversations with scouts and team officials at the combine confirmed the Demidov situation is a total wild card. "

"But scarcity of player profile is not the only consideration for the Canadiens. It is a big one, though.

They also look at team building as a big factor, boxes they need to check as they eventually build a Stanley Cup contender, and also boxes they might have already checked to avoid redundancy down the line. This is why it seems like Buium and Parekh could be in the mix, because while Hutson could potentially check the box of elite puck-moving defenceman, there is no assurance he will. And even if he does, having two defencemen like that would not necessarily preclude the Canadiens from winning."

" This year, Lindstrom left a very good impression on the Canadiens, Buium and Parekh seem like strong-character guys"

I mean what we're you expecting, a statement from Kent Hughes himself stating he would draft Buium over Demidov?
Nothing even remotely pointing to Buium over Demidov. Buium and Parekh are in the mix but Demidov/Lindstrom are still the favorites.

I'd have rather preferred Michkov + Dickinson/Buium over Rein/Demidov either way. They galaxy brained the picks.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I hate the week before the draft when Arpon Basu is fed a few morsels by Kent Hughes but we have no choice but to doubt what he says because he has no scoops and no insight or anything interesting to share the other 50, 51 weeks of the year.

Is the Buium > Demidov stuff speculation, disinformation, or legit?

I guess we’ll see

Last edited:

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I think Buium is definitely an option, and I get it, he's an exciting prospect. MO Beaudoin said that our first and second options were Demidov and Lindstrom, in that order. After that, Buium and/or Sennecke. I trust Beaudoin a lot more than Basu; the latter seems to be the type to throw shit at the wall hoping it sticks.

Last year, there was A TON of noise that we wouldn't draft Michkov. This year, I haven't seen anything like that with Demidov.
I wouldn't go as far as saying this, Basu most certainly talks to NHL scouts and Montreal scout but he probably gets vanilla info. I agree Beaudoin might have got some inside info tho that wasn't supposed to reach the public, much more likely to leak these types of info than Basu.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Markov was picked as a Center prospect in the 6th round. Completely different situation.

If they do indeed pick a LHD at 5, HuGo better have a trade ready to go to get a top 6 forward. And to relieve the log jam at LHD. They can only ice 3-4 lefties per game.

This will only hurt their development as there isn't enough ice time available for all the lefties.
I’m not talking about what Markov was drafted as, I’m talking about what Markov was. The perfect example of an elite defenceman who didn’t possess elite tools.

Reactions: Locks

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Nothing even remotely pointing to Buium over Demidov. Buium and Parekh are in the mix but Demidov/Lindstrom are still the favorites.

I'd have rather preferred Michkov + Dickinson/Buium over Rein/Demidov either way. They galaxy brained the picks.
Can't say I disagree here. But it would be because the gap between the D. As Demidov seems to be a better prospect than Michkov, who is still a great prospect nonetheless (going from what I heard, I never saw Demidov play only Michkov).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad