HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
The only way Buium makes any sense is if they manage to deal Matheson for the 10th or 11th pick and draft Sennecke/Iginla/Catton then, or acquire a similar caliber forward prospect for Matheson. Or trade another LD prospect for similar return. What I'm saying is, a LD would need to go right away.

Avoiding drafting a position where there is a current and forthcoming logjam is not at all the same thing as drafting for need. Drafting for need is targeting one position. The process here is targeting every position but one, where there is already a surplus of players.

If Buium was such a prospect that you absolutely have to take him regardless of position, he would not be available at 5. Plain and simple. Especially since all of CBJ, ANA and CHI have more room than the Habs at LD.

Reactions: dralaf

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Guhle tops out as a second pairing D. He has very little offense.
I’d say he has good offence. He’s not running a PP but 22 points as a sophomore with 0 PP time and 61% defensive zone starts is decent. He showed good offence in the WHL too.

Reactions: Deebs

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I wouldn't go as far as saying this, Basu most certainly talks to NHL scouts and Montreal scout but he probably gets vanilla info. I agree Beaudoin might have got some inside info tho that wasn't supposed to reach the public, much more likely to leak these types of info than Basu.
Good point, I retract what I said. I would still take his comments with a grain of salt as you don't know why Arpon was fed that information.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Denver inflates numbers all of the time.. the tools are what matter and Hutson's offensive tools are better than Buium's.

It certainly looks that way,

66 goals in 12 non conference games vs mostly weak comp outside the Hockey East teams,

vs Yale - 14 goals/2 games
vs ASU - 13 goals/2 games
vs Alaska - 12 goals/2 games
vs Niagara - 11 goals/2 games
vs Augustana - 5 goals/1 game
vs Air Force - 4 goals/1 game

vs Providence/BC - 7 goals/2 games

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'd take the dman who's already established before any prospect. You trade the ones who aren't established, unless you want to be in forever rebuild land.

i assume your referring to a previous comment someone made about Buium > Guhle?

If I’m Hughes I don’t trade Guhle, the guy to trade and always was the one to trade is Matheson.
The only way Buium makes any sense is if they manage to deal Matheson for the 10th or 11th pick and draft Sennecke/Iginla/Catton then, or acquire a similar caliber forward prospect for Matheson. Or trade another LD prospect for similar return. What I'm saying is, a LD would need to go right away.

Avoiding drafting a position where there is a current and forthcoming logjam is not at all the same thing as drafting for need. Drafting for need is targeting one position. The process here is targeting every position but one, where there is already a surplus of players.

If Buium was such a prospect that you absolutely have to take him regardless of position, he would not be available at 5. Plain and simple. Especially since all of CBJ, ANA and CHI have more room than the Habs at LD.

Cale Makar was drafted 4th overall.

I have nothing else to add.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Good point, I retract what I said. I would still take his comments with a grain of salt as you don't know why Arpon was fed that information.
Basu is our most prolific and most read English language reporter. I’d say he’s being fed the information that the team wants fed to him. To me it’s likely to misdirect other teams. If it was to “prepare” the fanbase, they’d give the same info to a French language reporter too, but I don’t see it.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
People who watched Dickinson and Buium, what kind of gap are we talking about between the two of them?

If the draft goes Celibrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom I wouldn't be against trading 5OV to Ottawa (who might want to secure Buium) for 7OV + 25OV.

Give us another late first round pick and at 7OV you can still get one or Dickinson, Silayev or Iginla.

Reactions: phillytennis

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He's born in America.
You might be unfamiliar with the concept of dual-nationality. Many many years ago, I attended Dawson College and had quite a few classmates who held both Canadian and Israeli passports. A number of them sought to make Aliyah (sp) after their studies, some of them openly wanted to “serve their country” — now I don’t know how many actually did, it could’ve been the bluster of youth, but it wasn’t an alien notion to them.

Considering the possible two-front conflict around the country, and the aggressive nature of the rhetoric around its ruling government, it seems like a worthwhile question to ask about drafting an Israeli citizen of military age during a period of the hottest conflict in decades.

These questions were asked about Russian prospects. They continue to be asked about them. It’s nothing strange. We live in interesting times, as the saying goes.

You don’t have anything to add so you don’t need to bother responding. Maybe one someone else with something relevant to the topic will have some insight.

Reactions: Jaynki

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Basu is our most prolific and most read English language reporter. I’d say he’s being fed the information that the team wants fed to him. To me it’s likely to misdirect other teams. If it was to “prepare” the fanbase, they’d give the same info to a French language reporter too, but I don’t see it.
I agree
No way KH shows his hand

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
People who watched Dickinson and Buium, what kind of gap are we talking about between the two of them?

If the draft goes Celibrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom I wouldn't be against trading 5OV to Ottawa (who might want to secure Buium) for 7OV + 25OV.

Give us another late first round pick and at 7OV you can still get one or Dickinson, Silayev or Iginla.

I didn't get to see much of Dickinson this year but I worry about the IQ, iced the puck way too much in the playoffs/memorial cup. But he's a lock to be an NHLer, no question there. I don't think I would pick him in the top 5.

Buium looks smarter to me but doesn't have the frame of Dickinson, I would likely pick him over Dickinson and likely the 2nd D behind Leshunov (who I only saw early on in the season)

Locks

May 28, 2005
I think Buium is definitely an option, and I get it, he's an exciting prospect. MO Beaudoin said that our first and second options were Demidov and Lindstrom, in that order. After that, Buium and/or Sennecke. I trust Beaudoin a lot more than Basu; the latter seems to be the type to throw shit at the wall hoping it sticks.

Last year, there was A TON of noise that we wouldn't draft Michkov. This year, I haven't seen anything like that with Demidov.
That's correct. By all accounts, they had no intention of drafting Michkov while Demidov is seriously considered.

Reactions: dralaf and montreal

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I love Demidov. He is so damn creative and his hands and vision are amazing. He would be a great pick, but there are a bunch of great picks this year so I won't cry...

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
1719078650226.png

This sums up my knowledge of Arpon Basu (I don't really read sports news). I shouldn't have made assumptions about him.

I do agree with you that it seems like misdirection, and I strongly think they're drafting Demidov if he's available.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Buium is the smarter player and better offensively, Dickinson is a better defender.

Dickinson probably plays a game easier to translate, but Buium’s upside is higher.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You might be unfamiliar with the concept of dual-nationality. Many many years ago, I attended Dawson College and had quite a few classmates who held both Canadian and Israeli passports. A number of them sought to make Aliyah (sp) after their studies, some of them openly wanted to “serve their country” — now I don’t know how many actually did, it could’ve been the bluster of youth, but it wasn’t an alien notion to them.

Considering the possible two-front conflict around the country, and the aggressive nature of the rhetoric around its ruling government, it seems like a worthwhile question to ask about drafting an Israeli citizen of military age during a period of the hottest conflict in decades.

These questions were asked about Russian prospects. They continue to be asked about them. It’s nothing strange. We live in interesting times, as the saying goes.

You don’t have anything to add so you don’t need to bother responding. Maybe one someone else with something relevant to the topic will have some insight.
Israeli citizenship is a lot different than other countries. It might just have been automatic for Zeev if both of his parents are from there, regardless of where he was born. They might have applied for it at birth for him. I don’t think it necessarily ties him to anything domestic.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I said that last year when we heard at the WJC's or around then that the Habs were high on Reinbacher, thought no way would Hughes and his staff want that leaked if that was really their guy. Guess not.
It was safer then and win-win: either one of the clear top4 drops to 5 or they get their man at 5.

Israeli citizenship is a lot different than other countries. It might just have been automatic for Zeev if both of his parents are from there, regardless of where he was born. They might have applied for it at birth for him. I don’t think it necessarily ties him to anything domestic.
So can he be drafted? I think it’s like S Korea, you can’t seem dodge military service with a cash payment.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So can he be drafted? I think it’s like S Korea, you can’t seem dodge military service with a cash payment.
What are they going to do, fly to the US, kidnap him and bring him back to Israel? If he can get drafted, he just doesn’t have to go. Just means he likely faces charges if ever he goes to Israel in the future.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Habs are probably just instructing their media it's time to now prepare Hab fans for them potentially passing on yet another highly skilled offensive Russian forward for someone else. As John Fogerty wrote it's Deja Vu all over again it seems.

What a wild roller coaster ride this past month has been for this 5th pick and who the Habs may pick. I think I'm at the point now where I really don't care who they end up picking anymore. Just don't f*** this 5th pick up and get it right is all I ask.

Reactions: Runner77

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The Habs are probably just instructing their media it's time to now prepare Hab fans for them potentially passing on yet another highly skilled offensive Russian forward for someone else. As John Fogerty wrote it's Deja Vu all over again it seems.

What a wild roller coaster ride this past month has been for this 5th pick and who the Habs may pick. I think I'm at the point now where I really don't care who they end up picking anymore. Just don't f*** this 5th pick up and get it right is all I ask.
Agreed
Lot at stake here #5

Reactions: sheed36

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
What are they going to do, fly to the US, kidnap him and bring him back to Israel? If he can get drafted, he just doesn’t have to go. Just means he likely faces charges if ever he goes to Israel in the future.
I mean… that’s a concern, isn’t it? Or what if he doesn’t dodge it and accepts his solemn duty?

It’s a risk with Russians, it’s a risk with Ukrainians now that the Ukrainian government has changed conscription laws and doesn’t recognize dual nationality, and it’s definitely an escalating risk with Israeli nationals as the hot conflict escalates.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I mean… that’s a concern, isn’t it? Or what if he doesn’t dodge it and accepts his solemn duty?

It’s a risk with Russians, it’s a risk with Ukrainians now that the Ukrainian government has changed conscription laws and doesn’t recognize dual nationality, and it’s definitely an escalating risk with Israeli nationals as the hot conflict escalates.
Just pick
Lidstrom or Sennecke and call it good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad