HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The money line means more to me than any publicly available rankings. You'd be foolish to think there's not people in the know who are making a pretty penny off this.

They don't have anybody "in the know" lol

They are looking at public rankings to determine where the money will be placed.....how is this not obvious to you? Do you actually believe that they employ actual scouts????

The public sites are nonsense as well as the betting lines. The betting lines are perhaps a more accurate reflection of the overall consensus on the public sites but that is all that it is. You would be foolish to think otherwise.

Reactions: Runner77

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'm one of the biggest pessimists when it comes to the Habs and their decision making but I think there is some overreaction here to the Arpon Basu article. He mentions multiple times that this is just a hypothetical scenario and he could have easily used a different set of forwards and defenceman for the same analysis. He also has the disclaimer early on that he truly doesn't know where the Canadiens stand on either Demidov or Buium, or who they would take in this scenario.

That is not the vibe I'm getting from the article. I'm usually as loyal as it gets towards the front office, but one can smell a PR job from miles away, no matter how many disclaimers Arpon gives.

At the end of the day, it's their call. If they believe they're getting a unique talent in Buium and can address our needs up front in some other ways, be my guest. But people have every right to hold them accountable if it all goes tits up.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I just don't see any sensible similarity between Buium and Hutson, except for the fact they both are offensive Ds.

Hutson is an highlight reel machine. He's a waterbug out there and is more of a puck carrier than a pure puck mover. Which leaves me hesitant as to what his actual upside is in the show.

Buium is more of a quarterback and a puck mover. He's going to be using his teammates a lot more. He's very good at seeing patterns and using his teammates for give-and-gos both in the defensive and offensive zone. He's a bit smaller than I would prefer him to be but there's actual #1 D upside there.

I'd be really excited if we drafted him. I just don't see a lot of guys in our current D prospects pool who are going to be able to man a PP excluding Hutson anyway.

Mailloux might be there for his shot, but as far as puck distribution goes I just don't see it.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'd take buium over guhle pretty easily

Guhle has gotten overrated around here to the point it's comical seriously.

No shit he's playing 20+ minutes a game. We suck. We finished bottom 5 in the league two years in a row.

He's a nice piece but far from being the untouchable player some fans make him out to be.

He's a very good player. That's not what I'm contesting. But he's the kind of very good player teams trade to get their hands on a player that fills a need.

Then you take the injury proneness into consideration and there's no question he should actually be in play.

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I just don't see any sensible similarity between Buium and Hutson, except for the fact they both are offensive Ds.

Hutson is an highlight reel machine. He's a waterbug out there and is more of a puck carrier than a pure puck mover. Which leaves me hesitant as to what his actual upside is in the show.

Buium is more of a quarterback and a puck mover. He's going to be using his teammates a lot more. He's very good at seeing patterns and using his teammates for give-and-gos both in the defensive and offensive zone. He's a bit smaller than I would prefer him to be but there's actual #1 D upside there.

I'd be really excited if we drafted him. I just don't see a lot of guys in our current D prospects pool who are going to be able to man a PP excluding Hutson anyway.

Mailloux might be there for his shot, but as far as puck distribution goes I just don't see it.
The first comparaisons between Buium and Hutson happened like early next year when Buium was showing offensive potential but he was also 5'10

The way he handles the puck while on his stick is the only other comp, I think Hutson has a bit more flashiness while Buium has a bit more of a safe approach but both are very creative.

There's a big difference between them, Buium to me is everything you want in a top end D other than maybe an extra inch and a half to hit 6'2.

I also don't think having Hutson in the lineup is a dead sentence on Buium's PP time, I'd wager against that

Reactions: Kents polished head

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'd take buium over guhle pretty easily
In a vacuum you could very well be right, I’ll concede that.

What I’ll counter you with is this; it sets your development back 3 years. We are actually counting on Guhle because of his age and progress. He’s the “vet” of the new crop, and you are aware that D’s take longer to blossom.

It sets our d squad back too much for my liking. So if Carolina wants Matheson for example I’m good with your trade. But not Guhle. Buium and Guhle could co-exist, I’m not disputing that, I’m only reticent on the back peddling in the formation of our D squad.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Very surprising news today from Elliotte Friedman on 32TP.

“His family advisor and the Jets are not talking, but the only thing I can tell you is that I have heard that Rutger McGroarty has been brought up in trade discussions. »

The 2022 14th overall pick scored 52 points in 36 games for the University of Michigan (NCAA). McGroarty previously announced he was returning to school for his third year. The Jets retain his signing rights for 2 more years.

They can have their 1st and Kovacevic back.

Draft one of the top D + McGroarty.

1000004810.jpg

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The first comparaisons between Buium and Hutson happened like early next year when Buium was showing offensive potential but he was also 5'10

The way he handles the puck while on his stick is the only other comp, I think Hutson has a bit more flashiness while Buium has a bit more of a safe approach but both are very creative.

There's a big difference between them, Buium to me is everything you want in a top end D other than maybe an extra inch and a half to hit 6'2.

I also don't think having Hutson in the lineup is a dead sentence on Buium's PP time, I'd wager against that.
Buium's older brother is 6'4" and was a very later grower, which is genetic. It's almost guaranteed that Buium will get to 6'2", if not more.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Buium's older brother is 6'4" and was a very later grower, which is genetic. It's almost guaranteed that Buium will get to 6'2", if not more.
His other older brother is pretty big too, he definitely has those genes. We'll see if it means a late growth spurt or not, a lot of families have that one shorter sibling, mine certainly does, my sister is 5ft1 on her best day :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad