HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean… that’s a concern, isn’t it? Or what if he doesn’t dodge it and accepts his solemn duty?

It’s a risk with Russians, it’s a risk with Ukrainians now that the Ukrainian government has changed conscription laws and doesn’t recognize dual nationality, and it’s definitely an escalating risk with Israeli nationals as the hot conflict escalates.
No, it’s not a concern. He just doesn’t go. They can’t force him if he’s also a citizen and resident in another country.

It’s not a risk for Russians or Ukrainians abroad. They go because they choose to go. Russians might be coerced because they still have family there. Ukrainians have a sense of duty because they are the victims. The issue is if ever you decide to go back to that country in the future.

The US isn’t going to arrest draft dodgers of other countries and ship them back home.

Reactions: Deebs

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
As if trades do not exist.

They're just gonna do it again. I'm out on this decision I can't get behind passing on a forward talent this team hasn't had in 30 plus years, two years in a row, this time for a marginal upgrade on Hutson and our deepest position.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
No, it’s not a concern. He just doesn’t go. They can’t force him if he’s also a citizen and resident in another country.

It’s not a risk for Russians or Ukrainians abroad. They go because they choose to go. Russians might be coerced because they still have family there. Ukrainians have a sense of duty because they are the victims. The issue is if ever you decide to go back to that country in the future.

The US isn’t going to arrest draft dodgers of other countries and ship them back home.

Especially star athletes.

If anything Buium would be an Israeli treasure. They would look the other way.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’ll be interested to see what the overall plan is if they do prefer Buium. There would have to be multiple subsequent moves because the forwards in the Habs system are really bad.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
A guy here, a bully is negative about everything related to Buium. Not big enough according to him but Hutson is great according to him??? We saw it again in these playoffs, there is no place for a D the size of Hutson if the goal is to win the cup. In the regular season it can be OK, but you won't win the cup with a D so small. Not is fault, he won't be able to compete physically. So yes, draft Buium that is big enough and trade Hutson. That's it.

You think it’s smarter to draft Buium and trade Hutson for a forward? Because Hutson is already seemingly a fan favourite and has shown great growth. We don’t know what Buium is. Why not just take a forward at 5th

Reactions: HabzSauce

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I mean… that’s a concern, isn’t it? Or what if he doesn’t dodge it and accepts his solemn duty?

It’s a risk with Russians, it’s a risk with Ukrainians now that the Ukrainian government has changed conscription laws and doesn’t recognize dual nationality, and it’s definitely an escalating risk with Israeli nationals as the hot conflict escalates.

It definitely has to be explored if he can be drafted.

Tho when Israelis are at war, usually a lot of expat comes back home voluntarily to go help. Obviously different then a forced conscription.

But first and foremost, i doubt Buium had his mandatory two years in the IDF so i am not even sure he could be conscripted while abroad.

Also, if the front truly expand to a point where Israel need to go full conscription and even go abroad, USA will already have joined the party with all its diplomatic power.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You think it’s smarter to draft Buium and trade Hutson for a forward? Because Hutson is already seemingly a fan favourite and has shown great growth. We don’t know what Buium is. Why not just take a forward at 5th

There is a lot of overthinking

Why couldn't we have both Buium and Hutson?

More than a forward, we need elite talent. And the elite talent might just be a D at 5.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A guy here, a bully is negative about everything related to Buium. Not big enough according to him but Hutson is great according to him??? We saw it again in these playoffs, there is no place for a D the size of Hutson if the goal is to win the cup. In the regular season it can be OK, but you won't win the cup with a D so small. Not is fault, he won't be able to compete physically. So yes, draft Buium that is big enough and trade Hutson. That's it.
His point is there’s nothing that separates Hutson and Buium that is worth the value of a 5th overall pick. The two inch height difference isn’t enough. The skating is similar. The offensive game is similar. Buium isn’t elite defensively, just good.

The difference between let’s say our best forward prospect, Joshua Roy and Ivan Demidov is FAR FAR greater than the difference between Hutson and Buium. That’s the point.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
we're getting into that true crazy time of year ... ahh the hot takes are getting crazier and those championing their guys are getting louder... good times! means the draft is close :D

I'm pretty set on my order now... but I'm not going to be mad at any one if these taken from this list.. I'll just be a bit more excited for a few of them than the others

1.Demidov
2. Catton (yeah I know they not likely looking at him.. but hes a close second to demidov for me)
3. Lindstrom
4. Levshunov
5. Iginla
6. Buium
7. Sennecke (the least exciting for me... but what the f*** do I know? lol)

but dear God, please let Demidov fall to us... that will make me legit lose it in the best of ways :)
I agrée with Catton. We’ve been starved of elite offensive talent for a long time and he would finally bring it.

Reactions: Rozz and crosbyshow

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There is a lot of overthinking

Why couldn't we have both Buium and Hutson?

More than a forward, we need elite talent. And the elite talent might just be a D at 5.
Because if you use a 5th overall pick on an offensive defenceman, he better play 1.5 mins per PP, and he better get 60% offensive zone starts. So where does that leave our other offensive LD? It neuters him. He becomes redundant.

If we were talking a 15th overall pick, whatever, let’s just get BPA. But we are picking 5th and can address a major weakness as opposed to strengthening a current strength.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I’ll be interested to see what the overall plan is if they do prefer Buium. There would have to be multiple subsequent moves because the forwards in the Habs system are really bad.

I understand and even agree with the lines of thinking

I just think we are distracting ourselves from the main objectives tho.

There does not need to be a plan, or subsequent move, at least in the immediate if we go LD.

The talk is Buium, but maybe we go Silayev. The sole and only goal here, in my opinion, is to get elite talent.

Focusing on current need, what we lack since Mats Naslund, where we are deep, etc. is a recipe to end up with KK when Tkachuk and Hughes are on the board.

Reactions: Runner77

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
His point is there’s nothing that separates Hutson and Buium that is worth the value of a 5th overall pick. The two inch height difference isn’t enough. The skating is similar. The offensive game is similar. Buium isn’t elite defensively, just good.

The difference between let’s say our best forward prospect, Joshua Roy and Ivan Demidov is FAR FAR greater than the difference between Hutson and Buium. That’s the point.
Buium is noticeably bigger than Hutson and is a considerably better skater. Hutson is great on his edges for sure. Buium is just better overall that way. I agree that having both isn’t a bad thing if the 5th pick merits it. It’s going to be fascinating to see how it unfolds.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Because if you use a 5th overall pick on an offensive defenceman, he better play 1.5 mins per PP, and he better get 60% offensive zone starts. So where does that leave our other offensive LD? It neuters him. He becomes redundant.

If we were talking a 15th overall pick, whatever, let’s just get BPA. But we are picking 5th and can address a major weakness as opposed to strengthening a current strength.

I don't think it neuters anyone. In fact, it is the exact opposite.

I think we could exploit Hutson a lot at equal strenght if he can play behind a pairing of Silayev - Reinbacher or Buium - Reinbacher.

As for the PP, there is room for both of them. It will open options in a lot of way. One where Hutson QBs it. The other whete Buium QBs it. Another option would be to have them both in the same unit but to exploit one or the other in another role, especially in the concept of positionless hockey that is praised by MSL.

Reactions: Runner77

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Well, you don't - whether you agree or not he's the right pick. You have to admit that the profile is an attractive and intriguing one.

If this guy had more buzz earlier, this board would be going nuts at the idea of a kid with this size, growth potential and skill. No one ever said there was no risk here. There's a risk. If you don't want the risk - that's FINE. Just say you want the safer player and put it at that. You don't have to diminish his qualities and potential upside to make that point.
He reminds me of Bobby Smith

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Buium is noticeably bigger than Hutson and is a considerably better skater. Hutson is great on his edges for sure. Buium is just better overall that way. I agree that having both isn’t a bad thing if the 5th pick merits it. It’s going to be fascinating to see how it unfolds.
Buium isn’t a better straight line skater. They are similar. And a 2 inch difference isn’t worth a 5th overall pick in my mind.

I don't think it neuters anyone. In fact, it is the exact opposite.

I think we could exploit Hutson a lot at equal strenght if he can play behind a pairing of Silayev - Reinbacher or Buium - Reinbacher.

As for the PP, there is room for both of them. It will open options in a lot of way. One where Hutson QBs it. The other whete Buium QBs it. Another option would be to have them both in the same unit but to exploit one or the other in another role, especially in the concept of positionless hockey that is praised by MSL.
Neither can one-time the puck at an NHL level. You cannot have both on the same PP. No team does it either.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Buium is already 20 pounds heavier while being two years younger and Hutson looks like he is 5'09. He looks damn small and skinny. The type unable to add weight, just genetically skinny.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
MSL is not praising positionless hockey. That concept is a fiction. It does not exist in the NHL or anywhere else. The last time I saw something approaching it was with the Soviets in the seventies.

Another option would be to have them both in the same unit but to exploit one or the other in another role, especially in the concept of positionless hockey that is praised by MSL.

Chomsky22

Aug 1, 2022

Article by Arpon Basu, title says it all
  • Ivan Demidov could be available at No. 5 for the Canadiens, though they might consider Cayden Lindstrom depending on other available players.
  • Demidov's game-breaking abilities are recognized, but concerns exist about his playoff adaptation, skating, and size.
  • Contractually, Demidov has one year left with SKA Saint Petersburg, potentially limiting his options for development in the KHL or forcing him back to the MHL.
  • SKA Saint Petersburg's preference for keeping Demidov adds uncertainty, with pressure possibly influencing his decision.
  • Canadiens weigh player profile scarcity heavily, alongside team building needs and the concept of best player available.
  • Character is a significant factor; Lindstrom, Buium, and Parekh are noted for their strong character, with ongoing assessments of Demidov's character underway.
So nothing

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Okay — I’ll try this again: what do “some hockey people” have to say about his defensive game?

You referred to them and didn’t really demonstrate what they said. I’ve been genuinely curious about this but you keep changing your tone. As far as I can see, the hockey consensus is that Levshunov is a very very good prospect and likely the top dman prospect of this year and last.

I have zero attachment to Lev or Celebrini because I figure they’d be gone before the Habs pick. Not everything has a psychological angle to it, it could be that you’re just not communicating your thoughts in a way I can understand.
Here's a small copy/paste of quotes from scouts from NHL teams noted in the HP Black Book that came out a couple of weeks ago. Keep in mind they several pages for each prospect. The HP scouts have him ranked #10 and have a lot of the same questions in their analysis.

“He turned the puck over five or six times with and without pressure.” - NHL Scout, December2023

“I see him ranked second on lists and I ask myself what am I missing?” - NHL Scout, December2023

“I haven’t seen him play bad, but for every good play he made, he made an equally bad play.”- NHLScout, January 2024

“I really like his game a lot but I would agree with you that it seems like he is getting a little overhyped.” - NHL Scout, January 2024

“Great skater, good shot…good puck skills…there is a lot to like. My top Dman.” - NHL Scout,January 2024

“I like him but I’m not comfortable enough with his hockey sense right now to draft him in the top 10.” - NHL Scout, January 2024

“He’s 100% Evan Bouchard for me. A lazy defender. He’s a one dimensional offensive player. By the way,I still really like Bouchard.” NHL Scout, January 2024

If you want to see more, you should purchase the black book. These guys work hard at their livelihood. I spend a silly amount of my disposable income to these draft sources (I'm lucky I'm not in divorce court) and HP is my favourite as they're so thorough. Unfortunately this is the last year of the black book as they're going to rebrand next year with a less extensive guide likely due to the work involved. Projecting where 17-18 year olds will be is an imperfect science but HP and our old friend McCagg both called Wright falling in the draft two years ago.

I watched a few games of Levshunov this year knowing Habs would be drafting early again and I wasn't impressed by his defensive play or his reads. Maybe I got him on bad days but he'd pinch when the play was low in the O-zone or when he didn't have support. Lots of puck chasing. He looks like a headless horseman who goes after the puck with zero structure. He has great tools and had a great season and was one of the best D in the NCAA but I question whether this style will fly at the next level when players are bigger/faster/stronger. Processing the game and IQ isn't easy to teach and it's tough to be a top pairing D if that's a gap. As I told you, I'm in the vast minority on Levshunov and most (far from consensus though) have him as the top D. It's been mentioned throughout the scouting world that there is very little consensus after Celebrini this year and tough to differentiate the prospects from 2-11.

Reactions: ReHabs and bopeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad