HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We have loads of proven defencemen. In fact we have to trade some on the current team plus elite prospects that aren’t even in the NHL. It’s not even comparable.
Who are these proven defensemen besides Guhle? Harris/Xhekaj/Struble? Yes we will have to trade some bottom pairing guys, that has no relevance to drafting a dman who we expect to be in the top 4 and maybe even top 2.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Who are these proven defensemen besides Guhle? Harris/Xhekaj/Struble? Yes we will have to trade some bottom pairing guys, that has no relevance to drafting a dman who we expect to be in the top 4 and maybe even top 2.
Who are these great forwards that we have where we need to shore up the defence even more? Filip Mesar who barely cracks a PPG in the OHL at 20? Same thing Florian Xhekaj? Joshua Roy who got 50 points his first 10 AHL games then nothing after? Cole “50 goal scorer yet has never even scored 30” Caufield?

I can’t wait to see this offence full throttle.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Who are these great forwards that we have where we need to shore up the defence even more? Filip Mesar who barely cracks a PPG in the OHL at 20? Same thing Florian Xhekaj? Joshua Roy who got 50 points his first 10 AHL games then nothing after? Cole “50 goal scorer yet has never even scored 30” Caufield?

To be honest the only things of value in this organization are Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Ghule and maybe Dach if he can stay healthy. All other spot are wide open.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To be honest the only things of value in this organization are Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Ghule and maybe Dach if he can stay healthy. All other spot are wide open.
Hutson, Reinbacher are as sure things as you can get. Mailloux has also increased his value to the organization. Struble still has decent potential and Harris is steady. You don’t have that up front. It’s the top line then a bunch of unknowns. Even the top line is likely not good enough for a team that wants to compete.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Based on those betting odds it looks like we're going to be picking one of Demidov, Lindstrom, or Sennecke.

I'd be happy with any of em, and happier with the names earlier in that list.

I wonder if the odds change on Tuesday with Bob's list coming out.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Reactions: The Great Weal

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who are these great forwards that we have where we need to shore up the defence even more?
Nick Suzuki, Juraj Slafkovsky, Cole Caufield. You know, the guys who actually produced at the NHL level. Kirby Dach has also proven to be at the very least a 2nd liner and Joshua Roy is a great forward prospect who was our best player on the 2nd line at the NHL level for a good bit.
Filip Mesar who barely cracks a PPG in the OHL at 20? Same thing Florian Xhekaj? Joshua Roy who got 50 points his first 10 AHL games then nothing after? Cole “50 goal scorer yet has never even scored 30” Caufield?
For the billionth time, our forwards have already graduated. If Reinbacher/Hutson/Mailloux make the team next year, does that mean our defense is complete trash since our best dman prospect is Adam Engstrom? Of course not.

If you think Caufield and Roy are underwhelming, that alone should tell you that we have no guarantees on the backend since these two were excellent prospects and are apparently underwhelming. Why shouldn't the same apply to Mailloux/Hutson?
I'm also looking forward to seeing our HOF multiple Norris trophy winners that we currently have in the NHL lead us to 10 Stanley Cups in a row.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
To be top 4 defenseman maybe. They aren't surefire top pairing defenseman.

Once again, top 4 potential.

Nice third pairing guys to have.

Our need are top 6 F and top pairing D.
Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux are guaranteed to be sure of things, but Caufield/Roy/Dach who were better prospects as a whole all suck lol. Saying that we got Harris/Struble as bottom pair guys is the equivalent of saying we got Beck as a 3rd liner.

Not to mention the hypocrisy that Dach is injury prone but we're ignoring how Guhle is also fairly injury prone.

Until we see what Guhle/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Hutson do consistently at the NHL level, the defense is not set whatsoever.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
We have loads of proven defencemen. In fact we have to trade some on the current team plus elite prospects that aren’t even in the NHL. It’s not even comparable.
Yes, we have more prospects in def but who has proven anything beyond any doubts... Ghule is solid, a good 2nd pair def. but he's often injured. We have Matheson. And what about the rest? Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux still have to play 10 games in the show. Strubble? Xhekaj? Ok, we may have a 6th def here with the mighty Sherif. Engtsrom?, Trudeau? Kovacevic? Nothing to write mom about, frankly.

As much as I want a forward taken with our 5th pick - Demidov or Lindstrom if med cleared - picking a good def wont be a tragedy.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....

Hughes and Gorton suddenly became stoopid overnight all because of an article by Arpon.

This place is coocoo bananas! People need to enjoy the nice weather and touch some grass.
Not stupid but it would be a real head scratched if they pass on a player like Demidov if he is available.

Not something i’ll be happy about or encouraged for the future.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux are guaranteed to be sure of things, but Caufield/Roy/Dach who were better prospects as a whole all suck lol. Saying that we got Harris/Struble as bottom pair guys is the equivalent of saying we got Beck as a 3rd liner.

Not to mention the hypocrisy that Dach is injury prone but we're ignoring how Guhle is also fairly injury prone.

Until we see what Guhle/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Hutson do consistently at the NHL level, the defense is not set whatsoever.
We already have our first line, and if Dach can stay healthy, our 2C.

Adding a dynamic 2nd line winger and a bonafide #1 defenseman would set us for the rebuild.

Which we add two top 10 pick this year, any tandem of Demidov/Iginla/Sennecke and Buium/Dickinson/Silayev/Levshunov would solve a lot of thing.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So can he be drafted? I think it’s like S Korea, you can’t seem dodge military service with a cash payment.
Does anyone know why his folks moved to the states? Maybe the parents moved because they didn't want to live in Israel anymore. The Canadian tennis player Denis Shapovalov was born in Israel and didn't serve any time in the IDF. And it doesn't look like he will any time soon.

Reactions: phillytennis

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Does anyone know why his folks moved to the states? Maybe the parents moved because they didn't want to live in Israel anymore. The Canadian tennis player Denis Shapovalov was born in Israel and didn't serve any time in the IDF. And it doesn't look like he will any time soon.
The bolded part could very much change if the conflict gets hotter. Hence the question.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nick Suzuki, Juraj Slafkovsky, Cole Caufield. You know, the guys who actually produced at the NHL level. Kirby Dach has also proven to be at the very least a 2nd liner and Joshua Roy is a great forward prospect who was our best player on the 2nd line at the NHL level for a good bit.

For the billionth time, our forwards have already graduated. If Reinbacher/Hutson/Mailloux make the team next year, does that mean our defense is complete trash since our best dman prospect is Adam Engstrom? Of course not.

If you think Caufield and Roy are underwhelming, that alone should tell you that we have no guarantees on the backend since these two were excellent prospects and are apparently underwhelming. Why shouldn't the same apply to Mailloux/Hutson?

I'm also looking forward to seeing our HOF multiple Norris trophy winners that we currently have in the NHL lead us to 10 Stanley Cups in a row.
Literally 3 forwards have graduated and they led us to 5th worst team in the league. But sure, it’s enough.

Reactions: Deebs

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
They need a forward better than all of the ones we have.

You can’t just pass on Demidov.
If they do pass on him, it will be because they have legitimate concerns. Hughes and Gorton aren't dumb, they always do their due diligence, they have people close to the situation, and they have a very impressive batting average that is worthy of getting the benefit of the doubt. There are so many factors involved when you invest a #5 pick on a player.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Literally 3 forwards have graduated and they led us to 5th worst team in the league. But sure, it’s enough.
Good to know that Kirby Dach hasn't graduated and that it's entirely on those 3 forwards that we've sucked. Certainly has nothing to do with guys like Barron playing over 18 minutes a night despite not being seen as NHL caliber by management.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not stupid but it would be a real head scratched if they pass on a player like Demidov if he is available.

Not something i’ll be happy about or encouraged for the future.
If they don't take him, they'll have their reasons. They want offense.

The head scratcher for me is how fans think they fully understand the possible complexities that might be involved with a Russian hockey player who nobody in North America knows.

Reactions: HabzSauce and 417

skidcells

May 11, 2023
If they do go D they must have a trade in place for a forward using an existing D. If we want quality we have to give quality so I suspect Matheson or Guhle would be used as trade pieces. If we draft Buium and just keep all our existing Ds I’m going to start asking serious questions on management’s team construction capabilities.

Reactions: vokiel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad