HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
So who else (not that it matters) - I think it will be Hutson in a hurry.
I think the guys who show good IQ are obviously Suzuki, and Caufield strictly in terms of reading goalscoring opportunities. Josh Roy is also quite effective with very few physical advantages. Matheson honestly would be low on my list. He's easily the best skater on the team, and one of the best in the entire league, he's very strong, has good hands and shooting skills. His shot selection is absymal though which is definitely a negative in terms of IQ. If he had a higher IQ than Suzuki he would be like Makar level or something. Obviously IQ is tough to quantify but the guy has incredible tools and was basically dumped for old washed Petry a couple years ago in spite of them. He's improved alot since then though. Agreed about Hutson.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Yeah if anything , Matheson is a good example of a player who's tools are high level enough to compensate for a more than questionable hockey sense.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think the guys who show good IQ are obviously Suzuki, and Caufield strictly in terms of reading goalscoring opportunities. Josh Roy is also quite effective with very few physical advantages. Matheson honestly would be low on my list. He's easily the best skater on the team, and one of the best in the entire league, he's very strong, has good hands and shooting skills. His shot selection is absymal though which is definitely a negative in terms of IQ. If he had a higher IQ than Suzuki he would be like Makar level or something. Obviously IQ is tough to quantify but the guy has incredible tools and was basically dumped for old washed Petry a couple years ago in spite of them. He's improved alot since then though. Agreed about Hutson.

"Shot selection" is hardly a IQ metric because it's situational to what the rest of the on-ice player are doing (they "choose" their shots a lot less than you think). And with the results he's getting "abysmal" is a fair bit of an overstatement - if he was abysmal he would not be on the PP. He could be better for sure, but he's in the top 20 best offensive D in the league.

Matheson hand-eye is higher than Suzuki's and Caufield's imo, that tends to be my tell-tell sign. He can easily deke-out goaltenders with IQ-based tricks. I agree Suzuki is not far behind. But Caufield isn't really close. Roy might be closer as you say.

Thing is we've been so strapped for IQ that for these guys to be at top of our list means that we need to remediate this asap. Hutson in 2 games showed he's in another league on this.

How many goals by Suzuki and Slakovski if they played with Panarin? A lot more.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah if anything , Matheson is a good example of a player who's tools are high level enough to compensate for a more than questionable hockey sense.
Such a stud if we could manage that short circuit that creeps in to his game like faulty shanty town wiring.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I’ll take a crack at posting my top 10:

1- Celebrini
2- Demidov
3- Dickinson
4- sennecke
5- Lindstrom
6- Buium
7- Levshunov
8- iginla
9- Parekh
10- Hutson

Yes I like Cole that much. It is what it is and I’ll own my ranking.

Reactions: Jaynki

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
More like 100% decline.

You don't trade a generational player and Celebrini is one.

Teams who get the best player win trades. Celebrini is much better than Carlsson and the 3rd overall.
You're the first person I see labeling Celebrini as generational

Reactions: Gravity

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
"Shot selection" is hardly a IQ metric because it's situational to what the rest of the on-ice player are doing (they "choose" their shots a lot less than you think). And with the results he's getting "abysmal" is a fair bit of an overstatement - if he was abysmal he would not be on the PP. He could be better for sure, but he's in the top 20 best offensive D in the league.

Matheson hand-eye is higher than Suzuki's and Caufield's imo, that tends to be my tell-tell sign. He can easily deke-out goaltenders with IQ-based tricks. I agree Suzuki is not far behind. But Caufield isn't really close. Roy might be closer as you say.

Thing is we've been so strapped for IQ that for these guys to be at top of our list means that we need to remediate this asap. Hutson in 2 games showed he's in another league on this.

How many goals by Suzuki and Slakovski if they played with Panarin? A lot more.
If you think shot selection isn't a part of hockey IQ I think we may have a different opinion on what the term means. I would think about decision making quality + speed, space mapping, timing, predicting and reading the play before it unfolds etc. way before I would ever think about hand eye coordination, but I'm certainly no expert in the subject.

I don't even know how many times this year I saw Matheson totally ignore a wide open Slafkovsky set up for a one timer to take a totally unforced point shot with no lane open that was subsequently blocked. I don't know if I would say that his IQ must be good or else he wouldn't be on the PP when I believe it says more about the quality of our team and having no other better options. He's certainly one of the better offensive dmen in the league but I would attribute it to his all-world skating and physical traits.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/~2943764
5 minute interview with Lindstrom.
Not a whole lot in it, but he mentions that he boxes a lot. If his injuries don't derail him then he could develop into the dream powerforward. He's big, strong, can score and knows how to fight.

no matter what copie.jpg

wet dream scenario... pick Lindstrom at 5 and trade up for Cole Eiserman!

line 1A
Cole - Dach - Slaf/Lindstrom
line 1B
Cole - Suzy - Slaf/Lindstrom

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If you think shot selection isn't a part of hockey IQ I think we may have a different opinion on what the term means. I would think about decision making quality + speed, space mapping, timing, predicting and reading the play before it unfolds etc. way before I would ever think about hand eye coordination, but I'm certainly no expert in the subject.

I don't even know how many times this year I saw Matheson totally ignore a wide open Slafkovsky set up for a one timer to take a totally unforced point shot with no lane open that was subsequently blocked. I don't know if I would say that his IQ must be good or else he wouldn't be on the PP when I believe it says more about the quality of our team and having no other better options. He's certainly one of the better offensive dmen in the league but I would attribute it to his all-world skating and physical traits.

Active ignorance or conscious ignorance. This is why this isn't always about IQ because it's a situation where the not doing something is active and Matheson is the general having to think 1 pass ahead. And then the player receiving the first pass need to do something predictable and the play Matheson has planned. This is why a rookie like Slafkovski often gets ignored even completely opened, That will change over time as players gain trust in Slaf's finishing/passing/play reading abilities.

I agree IQ plays a role in it (plays a role in everything really), but you have to be aware that what you are judging is in a effect risk management calculations over multiple plays.

You're the first person I see labeling Celebrini as generational

He's on that line between Generational and Franchise, I think given his skating and defensive game, he will have a generational impact. For example, I can imagine a matchup Celebrini/Bedard not turning in Connor's favor at all. The thing is, most of the players in the next few drafts, and the players that will be left when Celebrini will be in his prime (McDavid/MacKnnon/Mathews out, Hughes/Hagens/Bedard/McKenna/Jacobson in) all have a smaller bodies. In his cohort Celebrini will be a fast skating giant.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The coming of Demigod! It has been foretold (by a couple of different mocks)!

Keep the faith! Hold true! Heretics and non believers are among us and will try to sway you! Look to the Twitter Video of his height and weight! Look to the puff pieces about his great english and wanting to come over right away!

Do not despair! Praise Demigod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad