Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That would be sweet. Unfortunately there is zero chance Luchanko is still available at #26. He'll go in the teens...possibly in the mid-teens. It's hilarious how out of touch the RDS guys are.

We say that every year and every year there's that one guy that drops for no reason.

Will it be Luchanko? I don't think so, but who knows?

Reactions: Addik04

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
What are you talking about. IQ 100% is THE most projectable capability. Mike Ribeiro, a bum with no speed, no discipline, no strength, had a long career only because of IQ.

The problem is that scouts label players as high IQ that are average at best. Show me a player that did not succeed but had "high IQ" and he either got into injury issues or was not high IQ to begin with.

Our highest IQ player right now is Matheson. Suzuki is above average, but not in the elite or he would be Sidney Crosby.
Bold take. I’d considered Matheson a toolsy player with brain cramps. Or is the IQ on one side of the puck? I’m certainly no expert.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
We say that every year and every year there's that one guy that drops for no reason.

Will it be Luchanko? I don't think so, but who knows?
Luchanko has too much momentum. Had a very impressive WU18 and Combine. He'll be higher on NHL teams lists than he is on public lists. I'd bet a lot of money that he goes closer to 14 than 26.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Who is sleeping on him lol
Plenty on this board are. A sizeable contingent here has drank the Sennecke Kool-Aid that McCagg has been serving up. A lot of the posters here haven’t even watched these players aside from a highlight video here and there and rely on others to tell them what to think. That’s why you have people here questioning Lindstrom’s “IQ”, and then praising Sennecke’s in the next post.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Hedman had 85 points in 82 games a couple years ago and has come close a few other times, so yes by comparing him to Hedman you are talking about a D that can go ppg.

Becoming the next Makar isn't a question of being better then Makar was at 17.

The point is if you want to talk about ceiling without regards to how likely they are to reach it then even 5th round picks have ceilings of being 50 goal scorers or 100 point players. If scouts thought Buium was likely to become Makar he'd be the undisputed #1 OA ahead of Celebrini.

Ok you are sticking to names, what i meant was that Silayev ceiling is an oversized 1D, two way D. I named Hedman because he had similar profile but no i don't expect him to have 85 points season.

Still, he played 20min a night in the KHL and has been the most used defenseman by his coach in the playoff.

He is 6ft7 and has incredible tools.

Thats a profile as unique as there is and we have no comparables to this because Silayev is the first of this kind to do this. The upside is as high as it could be.

Now, Becoming the next Makar is not a question of being better than Makar at 17, i agree. Lets forget the name Makar then and focus instead of being a true 1D, top 10 in the league with potential norris nomination.

What should it look like in its draft year?

The answer is : this defenseman should be the best in his league. He should excel in all three zone. He should beat offensive record. He should be consistent all year long and shine on every stage he plays.

You know, every single boxes Buium check.

Your point with the 5th rounder is lunacy tho. We are talking about 0.01% and less occurence.

To summarize my point, the forward at the top of the draft are very good indeed, but they are more in line with top six forward. We are in dire need for one. But aside from Celebrini and to a lesser extent Demidov, the gamebreaking upside is on the defenseman.

We should not pass on a gamebreaking talent at D because we need a top six F.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Bold take. I’d considered Matheson a toolsy player with brain cramps. Or is the IQ on one side of the puck? I’m certainly no expert.

He certainly create things out of nothing, Hutson looks like an improvement in the same strand.

The problem with using the creativity as a D, is that when the high-risk plays don't work you pay a higher personal price. I wouldn't say he uses it on one side only, he often make defensive plays that are not completed with the currently young forwards so he looks worse than he is.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I mean...half the people on this forum for starters.
Really? I don't see very many on this board sleeping on Lindstrom at all. He's probably not being talked about much on this board right now because most seem to think he'll likely be picked in the top 4 and won't be there @ 5 for the Habs.

From what I've seen Demidov and Lindstrom are the 2 players that most on this board seem to want with the 5th pick, if either is available.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Plenty on this board are. A sizeable contingent here has drank the Sennecke Kool-Aid that McCagg has been serving up. A lot of the posters here haven’t even watched these players aside from a highlight video here and there and rely on others to tell them what to think. That’s why you have people here questioning Lindstrom’s “IQ”, and then praising Sennecke’s in the next post.
That's condescending to a lot of knowledgeable posters in here who follow these prospects closely and watch the games. It's well known that Sennecke has sky-rocketed up most credible lists. I would be willing to bet that most fans of Sennecke in here are also big fans of Lindstrom, like me.

One thing that everyone agrees on is that this draft is up in the air after #1 and there are a whole bunch of plausible possibilities for the Habs at #5. Maybe tone down the blustery attitude a few decibels.

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Really? I don't see very many on this board sleeping on Lindstrom at all. He's probably not being talked about much on this board right now because most seem to think he'll likely be picked in the top 4 and won't be there @ 5 for the Habs.

From what I've seen Demidov and Lindstrom are the 2 players that most on this board seem to want with the 5th pick, if either is available.
a lot of people think he is low IQ and only does well because of his size...
and of course many don't want him due to fear of his injury, but I'll trust Habs brass does their homework on that.

Sorry boys. Back to talking about the same things!
I don't blame you for posting it, but these GMs are so cliche, say the exact same crap every year and then nobody trades away their top 10 pick despite all the hype the Dregers of the world attempt to drum up.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Let's say Verbeek calls them and offers Carlsson and the 3rd pick

They making that deal
Not really. Maybe for you it's a slamdunk in term of talent/value but Mike Grier is a huge fan of character and I think they view Macklin Celebrini has their next Sidney Crosby/Nathan MacKinnon, the guy that will lead their rebuild with talent+leadership. Not many players like that.

• Haha
Reactions: SOLR and Doublechin

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Here are 4 shift by shift videos of Sennecke, more than an hour of game play, all from February onwards.

Expecting people to watch? Lofty. Wait until you hear my opinion on a hockeyettan guy we draft in round 6 that I definitely did watch and didn't read a scouting report from a hooligan on Twitter and decided that's my take.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Not really. Maybe for you it's a slamdunk in term of talent/value but Mike Grier is a huge fan of character and I think they view Macklin Celebrini has their next Sidney Crosby/Nathan MacKinnon, the guy that will lead their rebuild with talent+leadership. Not many players like that.
There's zero chance Grier declines

Celebrini for Carlsson and one of Demidov/Levshunov

None

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
What are you talking about. IQ 100% is THE most projectable capability. Mike Ribeiro, a bum with no speed, no discipline, no strength, had a long career only because of IQ.

The problem is that scouts label players as high IQ that are average at best. Show me a player that did not succeed but had "high IQ" and he either got into injury issues or was not high IQ to begin with.

Our highest IQ player right now is Matheson. Suzuki is above average, but not in the elite or he would be Sidney Crosby.
Matheson highest IQ almost caused a spit take

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Luchanko has too much momentum. Had a very impressive WU18 and Combine. He'll be higher on NHL teams lists than he is on public lists. I'd bet a lot of money that he goes closer to 14 than 26.

If not him, it's very likely another guy we were sure would be gone is going to be there.

I'm expecting a surprising first night.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There's zero chance Grier declines

Celebrini for Carlsson and one of Demidov/Levshunov

None
Maybe you should call him and ask him or are you Mike Grier himself? Hello Mike.

The Sharks will build their team around Macklin Celebrini for years to come that's the only true fact. The rest is pure speculation by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad