HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Catton's teammates are terrible. Makes me wonder how he even has 46 points right now. On so many shifts he just circles around, back-and-forth, while his team bubbles the puck and has to regroup after each attempted breakout. In 2 complete games I can count on one hand the amount of quality passes he has received. It's a shame really, he could create so much if fed in stride in the neutral zone.

For those who have seen even more games, where do you think he could fit in our future top-6? I would personally say he's a better fit at center.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Catton's teammates are terrible. Makes me wonder how he even has 46 points right now. On so many shifts he just circles around, back-and-forth, while his team bubbles the puck and has to regroup after each attempted breakout. In 2 complete games I can count on one hand the amount of quality passes he has received. It's a shame really, he could create so much if fed in stride in the neutral zone.

For those who have seen even more games, where do you think he could fit in our future top-6? I would personally say he's a better fit at center.

If we had the luxury of drafting Catton

Slafkovsky-Catton-Suzuki
Caufield-Dach-Newhook

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
If we had the luxury of drafting Catton

Slafkovsky-Catton-Suzuki
Caufield-Dach-Newhook
I think we'll have the option to draft him. Not necessarily at our pick but, if we really want him we can make it work somehow. I don't think he goes before 7, and then at worst we should be in range to trade up from 9-10.

I like your vision but I would rather not have Newhook in the top-6 once we are playoff-bound. He could very well be our 6th best forward but he could do much more damage on a 3rd line against weaker competition, and I would prefer to complete the top-6 with size.

In 2025-26:

Caufield - Dach - Slaf
XXX - Catton - Suzuki
Newhook - Beck - Anderson

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think we'll have the option to draft him. Not necessarily at our pick but, if we really want him we can make it work somehow. I don't think he goes before 7, and then at worst we should be in range to trade up from 9-10.

I like your vision but I would rather not have Newhook in the top-6 once we are playoff-bound. He could very well be our 6th best forward but he could do much more damage on a 3rd line against weaker competition, and I would prefer to complete the top-6 with size.

In 2025-26:

Caufield - Dach - Slaf
XXX - Catton - Suzuki
Usually near impossible to trade up. If we draft in early teens, probably take Connelly instead. He was good in Hlinka/Gretzky.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Usually near impossible to trade up. If we draft in early teens, probably take Connelly instead. He was good in Hlinka/Gretzky.
I would normally agree but I believe this year might be different for a couple reasons, even though still unlikely:

1. There are many "disappointing" teams that will be picking top-12, i.e. teams that want to get competitive quickly. They could definitely be interested by one of our young defensemen to compensate the difference in picks.

2. There are many teams who are thin on D in their prospect pool that will be picking top-12. If there are 2-3 equivalent Dmen available at pick 7, I wouldn't be surprised to see a team trade down.

As for Connelly, don't think they go anywhere near him. I'm not going to be the judge of his character, but I expect they would want to avoid the media attention.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
As for Connelly, don't think they go anywhere near him. I'm not going to be the judge of his character, but I expect they would want to avoid the media attention.
Exactly, they won’t want some sort of controversy even if things are fine with the kid now. Sad because he’s skilled.

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is Lindstrom too much like Slaf ? I've been really intrigued by him, the tools are obvious... But at some point we'll have to add cerebral players too imo.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Is Lindstrom too much like Slaf ? I've been really intrigued by him, the tools are obvious... But at some point we'll have to add cerebral players too imo.
Nah, just like Byfield isn't like Slaf. Lindstrom would be amazing.

Roy has that potentiel he was great in the Q,World Juniors and now the AHL
Sure does, I've liked his progression a lot. I'm not sure where he fits in though. In this scenario (where we draft Catton) I would like more size to complete the top-6. Roy could definitely play 3LW and 2nd PP, but I think either him or Newhook could be part of a package to acquire that bigger 2LW.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Yep indeed. I also have Hemming very high on my list that might be there as well.
Just curious… thoughts on Artomonov?

In 2025-26:

Caufield - Dach - Slaf
XXX - Catton - Suzuki
By 25-26 you gotta think Roy will be top 6

DrBizz4r3

Oct 5, 2020
I start to worry that we will miss the first tier (pt two) of forward in the next draft if we continue like that… if celibrini, demidov, eiserman, lindstrom, helenius and catton are out, do you prefer brandsegg-nygard or chernyshov to our spot? Are you high on an other forward?

Reactions: Nevins

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I start to worry that we will miss the first tier (pt two) of forward in the next draft if we continue like that… if celibrini, demidov, eiserman, lindstrom, helenius and catton are out, do you prefer brandsegg-nygard or chernyshov to our spot? Are you high on an other forward?

MBN for sure. He's a forecheck menace. He's physical. He can finish. He's just an awesome power forward.

MBN for sure. He's a forecheck menace. He's physical. He can finish. He's just an awesome power forward.

In the worst case scenario we are still looking at a group of MBN, Ritchie, Hemming and Artamonov.

They may not be game breakers but they all have potential to become that.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
we will start losing more after the holidays our team is simply not good enough to keep it up for a full season too many injuries and not enough talent

im sure if you look at our record last year before the holidays we wont see much of a difference in points and we finished bottom 5

and then we have to hope for some draft lottery luck or atleast give me some lotto max luck

Reactions: Nevins and SlafySZN

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Theres no way all these guys are out, but even if they are, we have to go defense. Bolster that right side, maybe pick an actual gamebreaking talent on defense. If we get to draft a Makar or a Fox on D, we should do it regardless of strength of defense, it is just what it is.

Its two seasons in a row we don't go BPA and we pick for needs, we need to go BPA.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Theres no way all these guys are out, but even if they are, we have to go defense. Bolster that right side, maybe pick an actual gamebreaking talent on defense. If we get to draft a Makar or a Fox on D, we should do it regardless of strength of defense, it is just what it is.

Its two seasons in a row we don't go BPA and we pick for needs, we need to go BPA.
As much as I’d love a forward, go BPA.

I really like our D prospects but they’re question mark-y as hell.

If there’s a guy who can be our best D prospect and is BPA, pick him.

Having a high powered D core would be great and we’d have a surplus of prospects to make a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad