HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I would be very cautious with Finland prospect. Ever since the Laine-Poolparty, pretty much all hype top finland prospect pretty much busted. Don’t know why, but i would stay away from that.

Poolparty
KK
Joakim Kemell
Kakko
Tolvanen.
Lambert
Etc

Only Heiskanen lived up to the hype.
I feel Laine did as well. I mean he had multiple 30+ goals to start his career. And I still think there’s something there. But a mix of his attitude and toxic locker rooms has hindered that.

As for the list I agree a lot of hype. Kk couldn’t skate though. Lambert was known to have skill but no IQ. Pool party just had double hip surgery at 25. Chances are he hasn’t been physically ok for years. Kakko is definitely a disappointment. Tolvanin is finding his way with Seattle. Nashville was never known for developing offence. And as for Kemel, it’s his second year in NA… and he’s putting up .75 points a game. Patience man.

All in all I agree to much hype. However, when looking at each individually, half had visible issues that got whitewashed or ignored.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
What type of player is Tij Iginla?
Very agile skater, high motor, strong puckhandling skills, strong shooter. I would say he needs to get stronger 1 on 1 and his game a bit immature at times since he will sometimes try to force plays, but thats really not that bad, its more related to unexperience than IQ issues IMO. He is also an august birthdate, one of the youngest players in the draft. I would say he is somewhere in the 10-15 range at this point IMO. definitely a riser.

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Very agile skater, high motor, strong puckhandling skills, strong shooter. I would say he needs to get stronger 1 on 1 and his game a bit immature at times since he will sometimes try to force plays, but thats really not that bad, its more related to unexperience than IQ issues IMO. He is also an august birthdate, one of the youngest players in the draft. I would say he is somewhere in the 10-15 range at this point IMO. definitely a riser.
A good target if we pick between 10-15.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Zeev Buium has 25 points in the NCAA, same as Celebrini, but he's a defenseman and is now listed at 6"2 by the University of Denver
The 10 to 23 picks this year look promising. It would be a great opportunity to try and target another pick in that range. We can then pick a forward with our first pick and select one of the Ds like Buium in that range without the fanbase loosing their minds. I feel the true value of this year is on D.

Yep indeed. I also have Hemming very high on my list that might be there as well.
Are you planning to release a mid year list after the WJC?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The 10 to 23 picks this year look promising. It would be a great opportunity to try and target another pick in that range. We can then pick a forward with our first pick and select one of the Ds like Buium in that range without the fanbase loosing their minds. I feel the true value of this year is on D.

Are you planning to release a mid year list after the WJC?
Probably not since my list is too similar to the ones of HockeyProspect and Recrutes this year. Only difference I would say would be Emil Hemming who I have higher.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Carter Yaremchuk is a big right shot defenseman who plays with an edge. The piece cup teams usually target. Creates offense. On pace for 30 goals, 70 points. He could be close to NHL ready.

Right shot, size, physical, hands.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Would it be fair to say that last year's top 3 was better but this year's top 10 is better?

My early analysis is that last year had a better "top 10" as well as a better top 3. There are some nifty players in this draft, just not quite as exciting for me once you get past, say, seven players. Last year I had ten players I would be okay with at five, to various degrees (excluding top 4); if the Habs were to finish fifth this year, my excitable picks for now would be three or four.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
My early analysis is that last year had a better "top 10" as well as a better top 3. There are some nifty players in this draft, just not quite as exciting for me once you get past, say, seven players. Last year I had ten players I would be okay with at five, to various degrees (excluding top 4); if the Habs were to finish fifth this year, my excitable picks for now would be three or four.
I think most of the dmen in this class are quite comfortably better than Reinbacher. Not to mention that I think I'd take Catton over Smith as well when Catton is projected to go a bit later than 4th OA.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The top end of the 2023 is a lot better.

But with the number of defenseman in this draft, I think our chances of getting a great forward is higher than it was last year because if you aren't gonna take Michkov and Will Smith is off the board.. you are looking at Leonard, Dvorsky and Benson.

I think Helenius and MBN compare similarly to Benson and Leonard.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The top end of the 2023 is a lot better.

But with the number of defenseman in this draft, I think our chances of getting a great forward is higher than it was last year because if you aren't gonna take Michkov and Will Smith is off the board.. you are looking at Leonard, Dvorsky and Benson.

I think Helenius and MBN compare similarly to Benson and Leonard.

I'll definitely need to do some Nygard watching, he is part of a small contingent of well regarded Euros I'm behind on due to scheduling conflicts with my everyday life.

Your remark on defensemen is a good point and highlights why I put "top 10" in brackets in 2023, as I think a few teams in that draft passed on excellent players for "hockey men" desired traits (i.e., Danielson and Dvorsky); there will certainly be some surprise picks early on in 2024 that makes some good players slide. Of course, it's always possible the Habs end up being one of these teams.....Bobrov certainly has a type. He's the one piece in this organization I remain queesy about.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad