HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I wonder if the Habs will draft a defenseman or a forward.

A few months ago I would have said "definitely a forward", but the season has been sobering. If there's a potential Hedman, Dahlin, Power, etc -type player available, then they should go for it. Because we're not guaranteed that Guhle-Reinbacher will be it.

Anton Silayev?

I am totally fine with them going D in the top 10.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Drafting experts missed the boy Carcone eh

The road of #Yotes    Michael Carcone, now top 12 in NHL goal scoring is wild.

> Broken thumb, 2 concussions in rookie QMJHL year
> 89PTS in 2nd QMJHL season
> Went undrafted in the QMJHL
> Signs entry-level deal with Vancouver
> Traded to the Leafs for Josh Leivo
> Plays 42 games with Marlies (AHL)
> Traded to the Sens in Zaitsev/Ceci deal
> Plays one season in Belleville (AHL)
> Traded to Preds for Zach Magwood
> Loaned to Coyotes AHL team
> Signs 2-way deal with Coyotes
> Leads AHL in scoring in 2022-23
> Up to 30 NHL games, inks 775k, 2-year deal
> After being on waivers twice, called up seven times in his tenure with Arizona, wins secure roster spot
> 14 goals in 26 games in his first FULL NHL season

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if the Habs will draft a defenseman or a forward.

A few months ago I would have said "definitely a forward", but the season has been sobering. If there's a potential Hedman, Dahlin, Power, etc -type player available, then they should go for it. Because we're not guaranteed that Guhle-Reinbacher will be it.

Anton Silayev?

BPA

There is no potential surefire Dahlin, Power or Hedman and Silayev, Dickinson and Levshunov all have their question marks.

If at our spot, the player with the highest upside is a LD then we should go with him imo

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Someone tell tank commander Monty that hes blowing up wrong

185.jpg

Reactions: atrud66

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man Ive been watching Greentree and I can't help but draw a pretty freaking clear line to Perry. I need to investigate more but I love the swagger he has, he's very Musty and Geekie in that sense, he knows what he is and he knows what he can do, but I'd say he doesn,t take as many shifts off as those two.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Watched a couple Helenius games and he looks amazing. I initially thought he was just racking up points but from what I've seen the production is actually catching up to his play.

He's flying out there, very deceptive with his skating and relentless on the puck. Processing is very quick, and he handles physicality well already. On multiple occasions he would create a scoring chance and be first on puck recovery to extend the play.

He's an NHL player, I'm positive on that. The one thing that bothers me is he doesn't seem to have one specific elite offensive skill. Can he beat NHL goalies with his shot from far out? Can he dangle through defenders? Not sure. Think of Lundell who had more than decent D0 production, but no outstanding skill.

In general I think he'll be a great piece and worthy of the average 5-10 pick. I just don't know if he's the elite piece we need. Imo the same applies to Catton, when comparing to Eiserman and Demidov who are riskier but bring that elite component.

Reactions: Frank JT and Jaynki

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Watched a couple Helenius games and he looks amazing. I initially thought he was just racking up points but from what I've seen the production is actually catching up to his play.

He's flying out there, very deceptive with his skating and relentless on the puck. Processing is very quick, and he handles physicality well already. On multiple occasions he would create a scoring chance and be first on puck recovery to extend the play.

He's an NHL player, I'm positive on that. The one thing that bothers me is he doesn't seem to have one specific elite offensive skill. Can he beat NHL goalies with his shot from far out? Can he dangle through defenders? Not sure. Think of Lundell who had more than decent D0 production, but no outstanding skill.

In general I think he'll be a great piece and worthy of the average 5-10 pick. I just don't know if he's the elite piece we need. Imo the same applies to Catton, when comparing to Eiserman and Demidov who are riskier but bring that elite component.

I'd say Catton's offensive tools are all a level above Helenius.

Catton's skating combined with the dual threat in his shooting and passing.. he's a really good one.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I'd say Catton's offensive tools are all a level above Helenius.

Catton's skating combined with the dual threat in his shooting and passing.. he's a really good one.
I love Catton's skillset as well. I don't know about his tools being a level above, to me they're in a similar tier.

Both are very good but I just don't know if they're "better than Suzuki" good, you know?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I love Catton's skillset as well. I don't know about his tools being a level above, to me they're in a similar tier.

Both are very good but I just don't know if they're "better than Suzuki" good, you know?

I'd say they are. Catton has such a better motor and skating, being able to pair those tools with high end skating elevates the other skills.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I'd say they are. Catton has such a better motor and skating, being able to pair those tools with high end skating elevates the other skills.
Skating is probably Helenius' best skill as well imo, it's not a knock on Catton.

Again, I have yet to see the Hlinka Catton (who was incredible) in the regular season this year. Might be my sample size or Spokane is just trash, idk. If he can be consistently at that level, he would be an amazing pick.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Skating is probably Helenius' best skill as well imo, it's not a knock on Catton.

Again, I have yet to see the Hlinka Catton (who was incredible) in the regular season this year. Might be my sample size or Spokane is just trash, idk. If he can be consistently at that level, he would be an amazing pick.

Spokane is very very bad.. Catton's numbers on that team is a giant plus in why he should go high.

Reactions: Frank JT

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Love Catton but nah, Suzuki is one of these kids that is much more than the sum of his parts. His shot, his hands and his passing are all top of the league worthy. Of course his skating explosion and his intensity is what holds him back, probably due to his overall frame being too heavy, I don't know.

One thing that's very underrated in scouting and player evaluation in general is explosiveness and also aerobic endurance. People just assume that, if a player is weak there, it will just get to the level we need it to be, but that's just wrong, like every skill, theres a limited ceiling to every player. Catton to me seems to have a pretty high ceiling in both of those, something that Suzuki does not have. So Im not sure "being as good as" Suzuki skills-wise is a relevant thing, can you name a lot of players that have all three skills on the level of Suzuki ? I can't name a lot of them.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Love Catton but nah, Suzuki is one of these kids that is much more than the sum of his parts. His shot, his hands and his passing are all top of the league worthy. Of course his skating explosion and his intensity is what holds him back, probably due to his overall frame being too heavy, I don't know.

One thing that's very underrated in scouting and player evaluation in general is explosiveness and also aerobic endurance. People just assume that, if a player is weak there, it will just get to the level we need it to be, but that's just wrong, like every skill, theres a limited ceiling to every player. Catton to me seems to have a pretty high ceiling in both of those, something that Suzuki does not have. So Im not sure "being as good as" Suzuki skills-wise is a relevant thing, can you name a lot of players that have all three skills on the level of Suzuki ? I can't name a lot of them.
I didn't mean necessarily skill-wise. I don't care how he does it, we need a forward who's better than all of our current forwards.

Is that Catton? Not sure.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't mean necessarily skill-wise. I don't care how he does it, we need a forward who's better than all of our current forwards.

Is that Catton? Not sure.
Thats what I meant with the skating comment, I don't think Catton is better than Suzuki when you isolate hands, shot and passing, but he tracks to be when he's summed up, because he has better skating, because he has what seems like better intensity.

Of course it would've been better to just get Michkov or Celebrini but you get what you can, amirite ?

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Thats what I meant with the skating comment, I don't think Catton is better than Suzuki when you isolate hands, shot and passing, but he tracks to be when he's summed up, because he has better skating, because he has what seems like better intensity.

Of course it would've been better to just get Michkov or Celebrini but you get what you can, amirite ?
Fair enough! At the Hlinka I definitely thought Catton had the potential to be a 1C. I still think he's a better prospect than Cooley, for example.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is where I am pre-WJC.

If anyone sees someone I am missing, throw their name my way and I'll try to catch some games or make a point to watch them more closely. I don't get to see nearly as much as I used to.

Name
Position
League
Macklin Celebrini​
C
NCAA
Sam Dickinson​
LHD​
OHL​
Ivan Demidov​
F​
MHL​
Berkly Catton​
C​
WHL​
Cayden Lindstrom​
C​
WHL​
Cole Eiserman​
LW​
USHL​
Artyom Levshunov​
RHD​
NCAA​
Zayne Parekh​
RHD​
OHL​
Konsta Helenius​
C​
Liiga​
Carter Yakemchuk​
RHD​
WHL​
Anton Silayev​
LHD​
KHL​
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard​
LW​
Allsvenskan​
Adam Jiricek​
RHD​
Czechia​
Ryder Ritchie​
C​
WHL​
Trevor Connelly​
F​
USHL​
Cole Hutson​
LHD​
USHL​
Henry Mews​
RHD​
OHL​
Emil Hemming​
RW​
Liiga​
Nikita Artamonov​
C​
KHL​
Tij Iginla​
LW​
WHL​
Zeev Buium​
LHD​
NCAA​
Sacha Boisvert​
C​
USHL​
Liam Greentree​
RW​
OHL​
Terik Parascak​
RW​
WHL​
Dean Letourneau​
C​
PHC​
Maxim Masse​
RW​
QMJHL​
Igor Chernyshov​
LW​
MHL​
Matvei Gridin​
LW​
USHL​
Adam Jecho​
RW​
WHL​
Tanner Howe​
LW​
WHL​
Noel Fransen​
LHD​
J20​
Aron Kiviharju​
LHD​
Liiga​
Andrew Basha​
C​
WHL​
Kamil Bednarik​
LW​
USHL​
Yegor Surin​
C​
MHL​
Alfons Freij​
LHD​
J20​
Melvin Fernstrom​
RW​
J20​
Michael Hage​
C​
USHL​
Justin Poirier​
RW​
QMJHL​
Leo Sahlin Wallenius​
LHD​
J20​
Beckett Sennecke​
RW​
OHL​
Miguel Marques​
F​
WHL​
Carter George​
G​
OHL​
Veeti Vaisanen​
LHD​
Liiga​
Stian Solberg​
LHD​
Norway​
Tuomas Suoniemi​
C​
Mestis​
Raoul Boilard​
C​
QMJHL​
Simon Zether​
C​
SHL​
Yegor Graf​
C​
MHL​
Mac Swanson​
F​
USHL​
Daniil Ustinkov​
LHD​
NLA​
Jamiro Reber​
F​
J20​
Alex Zetterberg​
C​
J20​
Tomas Galvas​
LHD​
Czechia​
Leon Muggli​
LHD​
NLA​
Tory Pitner​
RHD​
USHL​
Julius Miettinen​
LW​
WHL​
Cole Beaudoin​
C​
OHL​
Adam Titlbach​
C​
WHL​
Will Felicio​
LHD​
USHL​
Aidan Park​
F​
USHS​
Max Plante​
C​
USHL​
Oskar Vuollet​
C​
SHL​
Anthony Cristoforo​
RHD​
OHL​
Dominik Badinka​
RHD​
J20​
Matvei Shuravin​
LHD​
KHL​
Artyom Schuchinov​
LHD​
KHL​
Jakub Chromiak​
RHD​
OHL​
Jakub Milota​
G​
QMJHL​
Charlie Elick​
RHD​
WHL​
Ryerson Leenders​
G​
OHL​
Ilya Pautov​
RW​
MHL​
Aatos Koivu​
C​
U20​
Owen Keefe​
LHD​
USHL​
EJ Emery​
RHD​
USHL​
Arsen Taimazov​
RHD​
MHL​
Ollie Josephson​
LW​
WHL​
Carson Wetsch​
C​
WHL​
Luca Testa​
C​
OHL​
Tarin Smith​
LHD​
WHL​
Viktor Olofsson​
RW​
J20​
Harrison Brunicke​
RHD​
WHL​
Lucas Van Vliet​
LW​
USHL​
Kam Hendrickson​
G​
USHL​
Will Skahan​
LHD​
USHL​
Ondrej Kos​
LW​
U20​
John Parsons​
G​
USHL​
Jordan Forget​
RW​
QMJHL​
Jiri Klima​
LW​
QMJHL​

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Nice list thanks for sharing , need to stop being lazy and get into 24 draft
Same

Usually by now as long as we have a first round I'm all into it but after the last couple years I'm losing the interest I once had in the draft from a Habs fan POV

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really like the prospect pool of Habs. I just hope that we are going to draft a top forward with that high pick in 2024. So far I have a big crush on Cayden Lindstrom. Habs need to get bigger on front, but with talent. Slaf, Dach and Lindstrom?!?!?!. That's going to be insane !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad