HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Why is there lack of hype tho?
I think you can boil it down to not having a standout skill, set of tools, or overwhelmingly dynamic element to his game up to this point. His production doesn't typically come from flashy plays or a big shot. His defensive game isn't physical/smothering. While a very strong skater, he's not particularly big or strong. From what I saw last year, he's kind of a jack of all trades, high-IQ, strong positioning type that's been surrounded by flashier, bigger, older players. I think there's been a lot of question marks about whether or not he's "the guy" on his pairing/unit/team or just a strong facilitator. Top-20 pick, seems a pretty safe bet for NHL minutes.

Reactions: Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think you can boil it down to not having a standout skill, set of tools, or overwhelmingly dynamic element to his game up to this point. His production doesn't typically come from flashy plays or a big shot. His defensive game isn't physical/smothering. While a very strong skater, he's not particularly big or strong. From what I saw last year, he's kind of a jack of all trades, high-IQ, strong positioning type that's been surrounded by flashier, bigger, older players. I think there's been a lot of question marks about whether or not he's "the guy" on his pairing/unit/team or just a strong facilitator. Top-20 pick, seems a pretty safe bet for NHL minutes.
Thanks !

Reactions: Draft

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Most midseason rankings aren't out yet. Heck Reinbacher didn't get shot up lists until the end of the season despite being good all year. He is another small guy though. His team mate Rizzo is also leading the NCAA in scoring and the team has 12 drafted players. Four other d on the team are hovering around a point per game or higher so I'd guess his team being stacked counts against him. With that many high scoring d it's likely the coach likes the activate the d in his system more frequently.

Personally he wouldn't be on my first round priority list simply because of his size and position. I may cry if we draft an LD unless they're a can't miss cale makar type. I have a feeling we're taking lindstrom if he's available and we're not picking first and if we end up closer to 10th we will reach on Iginla.
I get this, but you can make the argument the other way as well. He is the leading D scorer and 3rd on the team in points on a team with 12 drafted players and he is only 17.

I think the lack of hype is mostly because his production was unexpected, but also because an undersized LHD is the last thing we need. But once you hear his name get called a couple times at the WJC you will hear guys on here talk about him a lot more often, his production right now is truly record breaking.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Catton numbers less than Jarvis more comparable to Zary. I usually try and stay in same lesgue

I've watched a lot of both Jarvis and Catton and I think you're missing some context in this post. Namely that Portland was the best team in the league that year, while Spokane is one of the worst teams in the league this year.

He has no offensive help and is still pacing for ~100 pts while playing responsibly in his own end. Haven't really seen that since Sam Reinhart. And no - that's not a comp.

We'll see how it shakes out but I'm confident that he's a better prospect than Jarvis. And I was/still am a big fan of Jarvis'.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've watched a lot of both Jarvis and Catton and I think you're missing some context in this post. Namely that Portland was the best team in the league that year, while Spokane is one of the worst teams in the league this year.

He has no offensive help and is still pacing for ~100 pts while playing responsibly in his own end. Haven't really seen that since Sam Reinhart. And no - that's not a comp.

We'll see how it shakes out but I'm confident that he's a better prospect than Jarvis. And I was/still am a big fan of Jarvis'.
Portland had strong team that year but Jarvis was main player. Only one to play in NHL

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Yep Spokane is indeed f***ing terrible and hard to watch. Catton is pretty much alone there.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

1st assist - 1:14
2nd assist - 4:41

just another sick game from Demidov wow, he could easily of had 5 or 6 points. He's got some work to do as you can see in the vid but the talent looks legit. If you don't win the lottery and miss out on Celebrini, Demidov would be a fun consolation prize.

I will admit to not knowing anything about him. Are his physical tools (skating, stick handling, shooting) projectable at the NHL level?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I will admit to not knowing anything about him. Are his physical tools (skating, stick handling, shooting) projectable at the NHL level?

yes, he needs to add mass, strength in a big way as you can see how easy it is to push him off balance as he's got that lanky frame that in time he should grow into.

Reactions: sandviper

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

1st assist - 1:14
2nd assist - 4:41

just another sick game from Demidov wow, he could easily of had 5 or 6 points. He's got some work to do as you can see in the vid but the talent looks legit. If you don't win the lottery and miss out on Celebrini, Demidov would be a fun consolation prize.

I hope we can pick him.

This spectacular, all offensive prospect would excite the shit out of us fans.

rochab

Sep 16, 2020
I don't care where we pick as long as we end up with one of the following players...

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Helenius
Eiserman
Catton

Fortunately this is a strong D class (which are prioritized by teams over forwards) so we don't have to be in the top 6 to get one of these guys.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't care where we pick as long as we end up with one of the following players...

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Helenius
Eiserman
Catton

Fortunately this is a strong D class (which are prioritized by teams over forwards) so we don't have to be in the top 6 to get one of these guys.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the defense go very high.

Eiserman, Demidov and Catton - one of them, if not more than one, should be available to us if we are picking in the top 8.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Helenius
Eiserman
Catton

I would add Tij Iginla to your list. He would fit our team like a glove, he has a knack for scoring goal and has the sandpaper of his dad. (I feel like he is a) Can't miss prospect and he is a potential homerun pick after the big forward.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
My one main concern with Demidov is development over the next season; some of the Russian posters have mentioned SKA might keep him in the MHL as punishment for not extending his contract. Feels like he's spinning his wheels and not adapting to harder play in this situation.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder if the Habs will draft a defenseman or a forward.

A few months ago I would have said "definitely a forward", but the season has been sobering. If there's a potential Hedman, Dahlin, Power, etc -type player available, then they should go for it. Because we're not guaranteed that Guhle-Reinbacher will be it.

Anton Silayev?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder if the Habs will draft a defenseman or a forward.

A few months ago I would have said "definitely a forward", but the season has been sobering. If there's a potential Hedman, Dahlin, Power, etc -type player available, then they should go for it. Because we're not guaranteed that Guhle-Reinbacher will be it.

Anton Silayev?

seems too early to say, I hope they just go BPA. I don't think it will be Silayev. I think Demidov is a decent chance as I still hold out hope for a top 8 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad