HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Man if Silayev is everything described in the Bob article, I would forgo some of the forwards if he is BPA. Give us a Hedman please.

Silayev - Rein
Guhle - Hutson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good question, he concedes size and reach to Dickenson, but I like his offensive skills better. It comes to what kind of profile you prefer at that point, who fits best in your system. I have to watch more from Buium, but I like both alot. Top 10 for sure.

Yeah, the top 4 North American D are definitely Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium & Parekh (not in order). Plus, Silayev in Russia, who I haven't been able to watch, but he's number 2 on a lot of lists.

Yakemchuk is a step behind. Offensively, he's a beast from the blueline in. He's really aggressive, and offensively elite.

Defensively, he's improved over last year when he was pretty awful, but it's still not as good as the top 4, who bring both offense & defense.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah, the top 4 North American D are definitely Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium & Parekh (not in order). Plus, Silayev in Russia, who I haven't been able to watch, but he's number 2 on a lot of lists.

Yakemchuk is a step behind. Offensively, he's a beast from the blueline in. He's really aggressive, and offensively elite.

Defensively, he's improved over last year when he was pretty awful, but it's still not as good as the top 4, who bring both offense & defense.
Yeah Yakemchuk seems a bit too agressive at times, but I need to watch more, still alot to like from my limited viewings. Dickenson is solid in many areas, but no real dominant traits IMO.

Silayev has high end mobility for a such mamouth, he is physical, great defending skills and some untapped offensive upside, Im pretty sure his skills would stand out more on a lower level. KHL is no beer league...

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah Yakemchuk seems a bit too agressive at times, but I need to watch more, still alot to like from my limited viewings. Dickenson is solid in many areas, but no real dominant traits IMO.

Silayev has high end mobility for a such mamouth, he is physical, great defending skills and some untapped offensive upside, Im pretty sure his skills would stand out more on a lower level. KHL is no beer league...

Yeah, Dickinson is going to be more in line with Pietrangelo type D. Just a solid all round D, but isn't going to lead any of the D categories. Strong possibility he ends up as a #3 over a #1.

Yakemchuk has upside to be a #1 RD, as long as he can continue to upgrade the defensive side of his game. His skill level is really high, quality skater, big, average physical game (not soft), shooting is elite, great hands, but he definitely can blunder on the defensive end. He could be a Chabot type #1 D, but I think he brings a better offensive game.

I don't see him being a Habs pick. He's in 11-20 range. We're probably top 10 unless we get another 1st rounder.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah, Dickinson is going to be more in line with Pietrangelo type D. Just a solid all round D, but isn't going to lead any of the D categories. Strong possibility he ends up as a #3 over a #1.

Yakemchuk has upside to be a #1 RD, as long as he can continue to upgrade the defensive side of his game. His skill level is really high, quality skater, big, average physical game (not soft), shooting is elite, great hands, but he definitely can blunder on the defensive end. He could be a Chabot type #1 D, but I think he brings a better offensive game.

I don't see him being a Habs pick. He's in 11-20 range. We're probably top 10 unless we get another 1st rounder.
Yeah thats the way I see Dickenson as well, maybe not Pietrangelo level though, but more of a solid all around top 3 than a strong top pairing. I prefer Reinbacher to Dickenson personally, better skater. higher edge work, defends even better.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Where do you have him ranked on your list?
Though the scouts in my organization are high on Parekh, I am less so.

As with Dickinson, who I was able watch while I was following Mailloux's development, I have had an opportunity to watch Parekh play, while I have followed Beck's progression following his trade to Saginaw. While there is no question that Parekh has an offensive skill set (including a better shot) that rivals Hutson's, like Montreal's top prospect, Parekh lacks elite skating ability and strength. No doubt there will be those here who will immediately reference another size challenged defenceman, Quintin Hughes, who is having a Norris caliber year. The difference is Hughes has elite skating abilities. That skating ability allows Hughes to evade forecheckers who are hesitant to be too aggressive in the justifiable fear that Hughes will step around them and create an odd man rush the other way. There are some aspects of Parekh's skating that are elite: his ability to 'walk-the line' backwards, which is the best I have seen in a prospect since: Quintin Hughes. He also on occasion, shows a burst that allows him to gain separation from those who challenge him. But not consistently enough.

Parekh is also a liability in his defensive zone. It's almost as if he’s disinterested in that facet of the game. I can see NHL, teams dumping the puck into Parekh's corner and then trying to steamroll him to gain possession of the puck. Unless he gets much stronger, Parekh will also have trouble boxing out NHL sized forwards around his net.

There's a lot to like about Parekh's game, but the holes noted above are troubling to this writer. He'll go high in the draft as many teams will be attracted by his gaudy offensive skills and production. But if it comes down to a choice between Dickinson and Parekh, the choice, at least to this writer, is a simple one.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Man if Silayev is everything described in the Bob article, I would forgo some of the forwards if he is BPA. Give us a Hedman please.

Silayev - Rein
Guhle - Hutson
I had Silayev 2nd on my list all along, the upside is just too high to pass on. But the russian factor might be enough for some GMs to pass on him over other kids early in the draft.

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If we do, we would be crazy.

As I followed Mailloux last year I had an opportunity to closely watch Dickinson. This kid would immediately become our best prospect. Think a slightly smaller, but far more mobile Hedman. If we don’t take him, we would be crazy. Crazy.

In any event, I think he goes third over all.
Bob McKenzie has Dickinson at 7. We currently draft 8th. We may have a chance

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Happy to see some Silayev love

Celibrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton

All gone at our spot unless we win one lotto imo and i would prefer the big top D over some small player like Helinius and even Eiserman... We can always find one 30 goal scorer eventually when the time is right... à number 1 D...good luck with that

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yeah thats the way I see Dickenson as well, maybe not Pietrangelo level though, but more of a solid all around top 3 than a strong top pairing. I prefer Reinbacher to Dickenson personally, better skater. higher edge work, defends even better.
I think Reinbacher’s skating is overrated. Dickinson is faster, stronger and has a much , much better shot.

But that’s just my opinion.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Buy me a Parekh jersey, kid is insane!

Shift by shift through 2 periods where he played a ton, didnt touch the ice in the 3rd, probably some rest going to the CHL top prospects game since kids like Yakemchuk, Iginla didnt play at all sunday.

Overall, this kid is an elite puckmover, has elite skating, passing, puck poise and Ive been really impressed with his IQ. just a really smart player out there, his D game was quite fine and not a concern at all from this viewing. The hype when it comes to the Ds of this draft class is fully warranted.

Sick pass to Beck at the end of the video. His offensive instincts are high end.

43 goals in 92 OHL games as a U18 defenseman.

He is a potential absolute homerun pick.

I am all in with players like Iginla and Parekh if we draft 8-10OV.

Nah, Im the driver. I have him right behind Catton.

Not below Greentree and MBN anymore?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Top 10 mock off of Bob's mid-season

1. San Jose Sharks - Macklin Celebrini
  2. Chicago Blackhawks - Artyom Levshunov
  3. Anaheim Ducks - Anton Silayev
  4. Ottawa Senators - Sam Dickinson
  5. Columbus Blue Jackets - Cayden Lindstrom
  6. Buffalo Sabres - Zayne Parekh
  7. Montreal Canadiens - Ivan Demidov
  8. Minnesota Wild - Konsta Helenius
  9. St. Louis Blues - Zeev Buium
  10. Seattle Kraken - Berkly Catton

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

I love Demidov...At least his contract is up after the 2024-2025 season. Wouldn't have to wait 3 years like Michkov.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Like it, but also f*** Columbus

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I love Demidov...At least his contract is up after the 2024-2025 season. Wouldn't have to wait 3 years like Michkov.
Perfect timing for him to come over. UFA season. Armia and Dvorak off the books. Sign Crosby for 3 x 8.7

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Dach - Crosby - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Demigod (rookie year)
Heinemen - Evans - Ylonen

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Demidov looks like a player with a skillset we've been craving for a long time. I haven't really looked much into the 2024 crop yet but so far he's the one I'm most intrigued by.

Reactions: Rozz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad