HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Well, score goals is one. His hands are also insane. He can corral pucks that you wouldn't even think were available. His one on one ability is 3rd in the draft. While hes not as good of a playmaker, hes certainly better than hes shown. The size difference is also massive. Eiserman should be 6'1/ 6'2 210+ lbs in the NHL, thats not a small difference at all. Even if one would say hes soft (I wouldn't), theres value in just being big.

Catton is a better skater, but Im sure Eiserman can hang with him in a long-range race, and the gap is only going to narrow with time.

Eiserman is gonna be Pacioretty at the very worse. Thats insane value.
While Eiserman is a better playmaker than he has shown, Catton is also a way better scorer than what he's given credit for. The truth is somewhere in the middle on both fronts.

Can you really assume Eiserman will grow 1-2 inches though? Going by that logic Catton may very well end up 6' 190lbs which is more than fine. Either way, it's not like Eiserman uses his size so much.

Catton controls the game, Eiserman doesn't. Funny enough, I consider Eiserman a "safe" prospect. He will most probably score 35+, but I don't think he impacts the game much more than that. It's still something we truly need (and we all love Caufield), but if we're looking for a game-breaker I think Catton is the better profile. We'll see.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eiserman is getting blasted for doing nothing but shooting, sometimes to the detriment of the team.

They aren't gonna pick Eiserman unless they are picking outside of the top ten and it doesn't make sense.

Caufield is their one dimensional guy.. they want more faceted players than that.

Reactions: dinodebino

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
1705949673973.png

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Obviously scouts are disappointed with Eiserman relative to the expectations for him coming into this season, but if he's on the board when HuGo step up I've got no problem with taking him. He's literally a bigger, better Caufield. Just staple him to Dach and let Dach carry the puck and do the dirty work while Eiserman finds space.

Could trot out two lines looking something like
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy(?) - Dach - Eiserman
In this case the 2nd line looks very much like the 1st in terms of player profiles:
Dach = Slaf (forecheck, possession, extend plays, playmaker)
Roy = Suzuki (positioning, defense, shot & pass threat, vision)
Eiserman = Caufield (elite sniper, skilled for days, average to below average defense)

We see how this combination works now, imagine if we could have 2 of them in their prime.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We can see the size movement on Bob's new rankings, big guys moving up, little guys going down.
And that means the Habs might end up in a position to draft Demidov or Lindstrom.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Eiserman is getting blasted for doing nothing but shooting, sometimes to the detriment of the team.

They aren't gonna pick Eiserman unless they are picking outside of the top ten and it doesn't make sense.

Caufield is their one dimensional guy.. they want more faceted players than that.
In a vacuum, sure. I do hope they understand that to get elite goalscoring you have to sacrifice other aspects of the game, unless we're talking about a 1st overall talent. What's the point in picking reliable, 2-way players if you can't pounce on a skilled forward after?

Our current core can support a 1-way offensive winger, and compensate for defensive woes. I sure hope they see it that way too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While Eiserman is a better playmaker than he has shown, Catton is also a way better scorer than what he's given credit for. The truth is somewhere in the middle on both fronts.

Can you really assume Eiserman will grow 1-2 inches though? Going by that logic Catton may very well end up 6' 190lbs which is more than fine. Either way, it's not like Eiserman uses his size so much.

Catton controls the game, Eiserman doesn't. Funny enough, I consider Eiserman a "safe" prospect. He will most probably score 35+, but I don't think he impacts the game much more than that. It's still something we truly need (and we all love Caufield), but if we're looking for a game-breaker I think Catton is the better profile. We'll see.
theres like an 8 months difference between the two. Its much more likely Cole keeps growing than Berk. Just looking at them its clear Catton is much more developped physically than Eiserman, and should be close to what he will be in the NHL.

ive also seen Cole play a more diverse game than he does now, pretty sure hes just gunning for Coles record and it works.

Mans talking like he knows HuGo personally, lmao.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
theres like an 8 months difference between the two. Its much more likely Cole keeps growing than Berk. Just looking at them its clear Catton is much more developped physically than Eiserman, and should be close to what he will be in the NHL.
Lmao how is that even an argument. We're talking 17/18 year olds with 8 months difference as if everyone's growth curve was the same. Catton is physically developped? Is that why he's like 165?

Come on, bud. We can discuss their play but this holds absolutely no value whatsoever.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In a vacuum, sure. I do hope they understand that to get elite goalscoring you have to sacrifice other aspects of the game, unless we're talking about a 1st overall talent. What's the point in picking reliable, 2-way players if you can't pounce on a skilled forward after?

Our current core can support a 1-way offensive winger, and compensate for defensive woes. I sure hope they see it that way too.

I'm not saying just taking reliable 2-way players at the expense of offense.. you can have offense and still do other things on the ice.

Catton, for example, plays all 3 zones while providing a lot of offensive upside. If they are picking between Eiserman and Catton, they're going to take Catton.

Our current core already supports a 1-way offensive winger.. they may be able to support another, but at that point you're probably looking at Demidov instead, since he has a multi dimensional offensive game where Eiserman has one elite tool and isn't developing anything else.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm pretty surprised none of these players made Bob's list:

• Noel Fransen
  • Justin Poirier
  • Tuomas Suoniemi
  • Yegor Graf
  • Mac Swanson
  • Jamiro Reber
  • Alex Zetterberg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lmao how is that even an argument. We're talking 17/18 year olds with 8 months difference as if everyone's growth curve was the same. Catton is physically developped? Is that why he's like 165?

Come on, bud. We can discuss their play but this holds absolutely no value whatsoever.
You can read up on height velocity if you want. Growing is almost exponential, every day that passes after peak velocity in much more impactful than the days prior.

skidcells

May 11, 2023

Hypothetical and what is most likely going to be a very unpopular question. How does Eiserman compare to Caufield on pure shooting? If Eiserman is better then why not draft him and see if you can trade Caufield for complimentary pieces. In theory, if Eiserman is willing he can become more complete than Caufield on the basis that he is a bigger player/frame and can win puck battles etc

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hypothetical and what is most likely going to be a very unpopular question. How does Eiserman compare to Caufield on pure shooting? If Eiserman is better then why not draft him and see if you can trade Caufield for complimentary pieces. In theory, if Eiserman is willing he can become more complete than Caufield on the basis that he is a bigger player/frame and can win puck battles etc

They are pretty comparable... Caufield has added way more to his offensive game though.. which Eiserman still can and has more size on Caufield.

I think you'd just take the prospect you like that fits better with what you are trying to build vs. try to find the right trade move down the line.

There's also the fact you know who Caufield is as a person and in the room. Locker room is an important aspect of all of this, too.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I am all for Eiserman if he is there. We need more shooters.
If he is there at what?
4?
5?
6?

How you ranking Eiserman vs Lindstrom vs Demidov vs Catton??

If i was GM, with my limited knowledge….

1.Demidov
2. Lindstrom
3.Eiserman
4.Catton

Demidov because of the talent that’s oozing

Lindstrom has that nice mix of size and talent (those 2 are like tied for 1st actually)

Eiserman just because he’s a scoring machine!! 2 more years in NCAA to round out his game should do the trick!!

Catton seems like a guy that just does everything right!!

Reactions: Goalfield13

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
If he is there at what?
4?
5?
6?

How you ranking Eiserman vs Lindstrom vs Demidov vs Catton??

If i was GM, with my limited knowledge….

1.Demidov
2. Lindstrom
3.Eiserman
4.Catton

Demidov because of the talent that’s oozing

Lindstrom has that nice mix of size and talent (those 2 are like tied for 1st actually)

Eiserman just because he’s a scoring machine!! 2 more years in NCAA to round out his game should do the trick!!

Catton seems like a guy that just does everything right!!
Well, I see us picking 6-10. I just don't see how we end the year below OTT, CLB, ANA, SJS or CHI. In that range, I just don't see Demidov or Lindstrom being available. I would rank him above Catton, but my opinion means very little. We have too many smallish players as it is, right now, IMO.

Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well, I see us picking 6-10. I just don't see how we end the year below OTT, CLB, ANA, SJS or CHI. In that range, I just don't see Demidov or Lindstrom being available. I would rank him above Catton, but my opinion means very little. We have too many smallish players as it is, right now, IMO.

Catton plays bigger than Eiserman, though.

Like that should factor in, too. Size is irrelevant if it isn't part of your game.

Lindstrom won't be available beyond 5 - but Demidov is very much in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad