2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
"We're drafting for need, and we're going way off the board with our picks"

Someone lock this man in jail

Also, "stray from what people think we’ve especially focused on in the past" is a hilarious quote

Are you gonna draft slow smurfs now? Like what do you mean?
I don't suppose you could have a greater over reaction but there will be time for that.

You know as well as I that Davidson and his staff prioritize skating and compete level for their picks. His quotes were in the context of 2nd and 3rd rounds and I took it to be the Hawks may sacrifice some of their usual prioritize for size and toughness.

When I became a Hawks fan, there was no imaginary contract that Hawks management had to keep me posted on all of their thoughts and plans. I guess you're a bit different.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I don't suppose you could have a greater over reaction but there will be time for that.

You know as well as I that Davidson and his staff prioritize skating and compete level for their picks. His quotes were in the context of 2nd and 3rd rounds and I took it to be the Hawks may sacrifice some of their usual prioritize for size and toughness.

When I became a Hawks fan, there was no imaginary contract that Hawks management had to keep me posted on all of their thoughts and plans. I guess you're a bit different.
For some reason, I took it kind of the opposite way. I believe the full quote said something along the lines of taking chances on upside. That leads me to believe that we go for a guy like Cole Hutson in the 2nd.

As was the case when we found out we'd be drafting second, I'm completely good with Levshunov. You can't convince anyone that taking the 6'2" (6'1.75"), right-handed, almost PpG college freshman D at #2 will be a bad thing. Maybe Levshunov won't be the 2nd best player from his draft. Who knows. Literally every kid the Hawks could take at #2 is going to have some sort of legitimate question(s) in their projection but knowing that the Hawks will have a D core of Vlasic, Korchinski, Levshunov, Del Mastro and Rinzel when the next window opens is exciting.

Plus, strategically losing the lottery this year to get Hagens next year was always the play.
I personally think Porter Martone would look great on Bedard’s wing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Here are the guys that measured over 6'3.00:
Jack Berglund - C/W
Charlie Elick - RHD
Spencer Gill - RHD
Tanner Henricks - RHD
Colton Roberts - RHD
Carter Yakemchuk - RHD
Simon Zether - C
Maxmilian Curran - C
EJ Emery - RHD
Lukas Fischer - LHD
Julius Miettinen - C/W
Kasper Pikkarainen - RW
Cayden Lindstrom - C/W

Over 6'4.00:
Tomas Lavoie - RHD
Jared Woolley - LHD
Javon Moore - C/W
Colin Ralph - LHD
Will Skahan - LHD

Over 6'5.00:
Adam Kleber - RHD
Eriks Mateiko - LW/RW
Adam Jecho - RW
Mikhail Yegorov - G

Over 6'6.00:
Gabriel Eliasson - LHD
Dean Letourneau - C
Jesse Pulkkinen - LHD

Reactions: Mrfenn92

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Funny thing is all this talk about Levshunov "shrinking" cuz he's 6'1.75 (which is essentially 6'2) Zeev Buium is the one who measured in at 6'0 flat... and he was listed at 6'1-6'2 in alot of places including his DU page.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The combine testing champion clearlybisxJett Luchanko who dominated in so many categories...

But the most fascinating result was thevpro agility tests where Stian Solberg finished 1st in both Rightand Leftcagilityvtesting...this combined with his tremendous showing defensivelyvand in exceptional physicality.has gotvto up him now into consideration inside the top 20..

Even though Hawks are well stocked in LD this kid just reeks of being a certain success as a core dman in first 2 pairings either as a 1LD or 2LD ..Given he was tops in agility at the combine thevoitentiak is tgere for more offebsive upside with him than just a great STAH dman and physical eraser...

If Michael Hage is off the board (C) at #1,f Solberg vas the best remaining Player ...any position ,left on the board...

I didcsee 1 ranjingvrecebtlycwhen Solberg had risen ahead of Hage ...Tgat rankibg put Solberg at #17...

He r guy Hawks coukd be considering at 18 is
Jett Luchanko given heviscso dominant akso in the combine testing for so many categories.

A freak athlete.. butvcautuon..that does no always translate to the pros.. I recall 1 year when Jawksxdraftedxa kid (forget his name) that busted even though he similarly dominated combibe testing like Luchanko just did.

Hawks coukd be interested inE.J.Emery who scored well in some of the testing...hevisxaxRHDv so thevobvuiusvibteres ..butcIvexprcted better production from homthisvpastcsesdon and am left a bit underwhelmed.. I do notvyhink he lasts to #34 ...but goes off late 20s....#18 probably too high for him.
However...if he does getv o#34 and if Hawks did not already draft Levshunov at #2,I can see KD going to a RD at #34...I just do not see RD value at#18 as the best 3 RDs went off early and Adam Jiricek leaves too many questions /risk... for me to spend as high as#18 on him.

Did Levshunov test at the combine?
If so hexwas NIIT top ten on any test...Same for Yakemchuk..

Parekh did not test as he just completed a long seasin at the Memorial Cup and did not get the time for restand recovery and ore-combine prep that others had before testing.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Funny thing is all this talk about Levshunov "shrinking" cuz he's 6'1.75 (which is essentially 6'2) Zeev Buium is the one who measured in at 6'0 flat... and he was listed at 6'1-6'2 in alot of places including his DU page.
Nobody who likes Buium likes him because of his size and I'm a guy who loves Buium. Think he's the best defenseman in this draft class.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Ok..Time to reveal THE MASTER DRAFT PLAN:

#2 CAYDEN LINDSTROM

#11 via trade with Buffalo:*
CARTER YAKEMCHUK
* trade #18+Lukas Reichel (where he can join Peterka ...they have success playing together).
Hawks get #43 as part of the deal.

If NJ or any team they trade #10 pick to takes Yachemchuk at #10, Hawks draft Sennecke at #11...either way good move for Hawks to secure #11.

#19 via trade with Vegas :
Vegas in cap trouble...need to dump
So Hawks takec a contract off them
Give them #43 and #72 for #19 and take a cobtract off their books.

@ #19 draft STIAN SOLBERG LD even if LD is
deep in pipeline.
Size skating physicality and tested #1inagilitycat combine..Pitebtial upsidevoffebsiveky....INO goita have this kid forvourvcore top 4 d ...COULD BE 2LD if Vkasic1KD or vice versa.Playsvkije pro already.

#21 via trade with L A.*

Take MICHAEL HAGE if still on thecboardcon the board ...or take
YEGOR SURIN if HAGE off the board.
* trade would bec#34 and#50 forc#21...L.A. has only pick #21 over first 3 rounds ..so could lookng for 2 seconds.... (early and mid) in a 1 for 2 deal...

Hawks still have #67 :

possible targets:

SIMON ZETHER..big 6'3 Swedish C
JACK BERGLUND Big Swedish RW
NATHAN VILLENEUVE C/RW Sudbury Wolves(I think with a more featured role on top linecthusxsesson with Sudbury hosxstatsxwull explod..He startrdconb3rdvkine..gotcwork on2ndvkinevin 2ndvhalf butvaksobsubbedvon toppe linecand had great stats fikkingva more featured top role So I think hevorobabky iscubder-ranked duevonlyvtobsituatuonal opportunities...used only secondary role.. mostvof lastcseason...but exolodedviffebsivekyb. When he got more minutes in top scoronh line duty.

ALSO gotcsusoebded 15 games lat season due to social media post where he was onevofvtge Sudburyvpkayersxwarnong an oooonentvtonbexawatecwhen they nextbpkayed...implying revebgevforcthatvguyvbeatibgbuo and injury information obevofvtheirctean-mates...In the old days of hockey suchva spoken "tgheat" was
common parlance amongst rival players and warning to keep your head up was taken with approval by fanscofvthevplayers warnibgvtheyvwoukdvgetvthevguy next game...butvhockeyvhas sussifiedvyp and now OC rukes in pkacectovstiffkecthisckondvofvrevengecwarbibg taints..

Itbis not like he said anything sexual or racial...justcan old-tinervgoobaxget you've nextcgame for watching you did to my tean'-mate lsdtcgame.

I want team-mates sticking up for abused teN-mates.

If they physically roughedvup Bedard you want guys going to give payback to thebm oppos..

We do not want to draft sissy milquetoasts .

Anyway Villenueve has reak with more of a top role coming...and is a good t 200ft player.
Hexwas draftedchigh by Sudbury into the OHL ...so I think he really breaks out this season ...I think hexwill prvexa steal at #67 .

Anyway I putvour 3 kids who shoukld be of interest ifcwecstill own pick#67 (maybe KD pulksoff another trade?

Anyway thisvisxakk posdiblechiven our draft capital..needsxandcwabtscof some other teams.

You can see Buffalo thinking how well Peterman and Reichel play together in their history with Germany ...

So I think Reichel +#18 for#11 and #43 is a fair exchange.

They coukd draft Sennevke but he may not hot the NHL for 2 more seadons..Peterman might unlock the potential of Reichel...diggingboutvpuckscoffvthevbisrdsxandvinpuck battkescto get Reichel more scoring chances.
Reichek coukd blossom I Buffalo so thevoroce has to be worth it...gettinga Yakemchik for Hawks RDvofctgecfuturecisxsuchvacprize so Hawks definitely for the RDcstructurexwoukd do the deal .

So I hope sobething like this comes to pass.

Ther are other teams with cap room to a Vegas cap problems off their books for#19 andvoucjs back to them ,could be in a bidding war of those cap space teams also have multiple picks in 2nd and 3rd round...but #43 (viatrade with Buffalo ( and #72 should do the trick for helping Vegas get cap space while still adding quantity for their pipeline...

# 21 for #34+#50 is a typical givevupb1 pick to get 2 picks type deal that teams with onlyv1 pick over first 3 rounds do ..we have seen this before...so maybe L A. Makes such a deal with the Hawks ?

It is all possible.

If this Master Plan is accomplished byvKD we get a draft looking like this:
LINDSTROM C
YAKEMCHUK RD / or SENNECKE RW
SOLBEG LD
HAGE C/RW or SURIN LS RW C
ZETHER C or BERGLUND C/RW
Or VILLNEUVE C/RW

This would be a tremendous draft for the Hawks...and Size,Speed,Physicality ,Skill abd compete..if we got Yakemchuk at #11 ,along with Sokbergcat #19; that is a pairing that changes everything in favourvofxa future Cup wining tea. Size Physicality great shots...skating . SOlLBERG already is a superior defender. YAKENCHUK is a superiorvoffensivectgreat ...just neddsxtobrefibevsonevofvhis defebsivecdecision-majing..But it coukd becone the bestc1-2pairng in hockey in a few years.

My plan is brilliant...forget Levshunov orc Demidov..Lindstrom starts the transfer to a much bigger more balanced Hawks team...Stilklroom for the liittle guys..but now a much biggerx tougher team to cope with..

If both Hage or Surin tgerexat #21 that woukd becaxtoughvdecsuion...Hage sobgoidvin o-zobe..Surin is a risk if he cannot control his violent physicality. O woukdvoredictcHage goes ahead of Surin...butvid gone before#21I still feel haooy taking a risk on Surin controlling that physicality to use it properly....becausechevisxa fine poisoect...good size,skatng, athleticism,good shot...the tools and upside are there,and you can see he plays with a passion ..A very intriguing prosoect..but Hage is morexe creative in the o-zone ...cannot teach hockey sense ..

Cannot have both underctge scenario above..butgetyibg one of them adds to the talent portfolio of the team .

This my draft has no smurfs ..We already have enough onVedard,Nazar,Moore,Lardisxand Kantserov...all under 6'0 ...they compete but only so much you can do physically when you do not have size and strength ...

The draft I propose changes that equation
Kk has size and maybecthecskilk required.. but his size does not translate to power and physical Play ..

Yakemchuk is more physical.. Solberg epitomizes physical play and strength...

That would be d-pairingIthink changes the opps look at the Hawks now...easy pickings to push around..
Anyway KD should Try to make the trades to enable this.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Ok..Time to reveal THE MASTER DRAFT PLAN:

#2 CAYDEN LINDSTROM

#11 via trade with Buffalo:*
CARTER YAKEMCHUK
* trade #18+Lukas Reichel (where he can join Peterka ...they have success playing together).
Hawks get #43 as part of the deal.

If NJ or any team they trade #10 pick to takes Yachemchuk at #10, Hawks draft Sennecke at #11...either way good move for Hawks to secure #11.

#19 via trade with Vegas :
Vegas in cap trouble...need to dump
So Hawks takec a contract off them
Give them #43 and #72 for #19 and take a cobtract off their books.

@ #19 draft STIAN SOLBERG LD even if LD is
deep in pipeline.
Size skating physicality and tested #1inagilitycat combine..Pitebtial upsidevoffebsiveky....INO goita have this kid forvourvcore top 4 d ...COULD BE 2LD if Vkasic1KD or vice versa.Playsvkije pro already.

#21 via trade with L A.*

Take MICHAEL HAGE if still on thecboardcon the board ...or take
YEGOR SURIN if HAGE off the board.
* trade would bec#34 and#50 forc#21...L.A. has only pick #21 over first 3 rounds ..so could lookng for 2 seconds.... (early and mid) in a 1 for 2 deal...

Hawks still have #67 :

possible targets:

SIMON ZETHER..big 6'3 Swedish C
JACK BERGLUND Big Swedish RW
NATHAN VILLENEUVE C/RW Sudbury Wolves(I think with a more featured role on top linecthusxsesson with Sudbury hosxstatsxwull explod..He startrdconb3rdvkine..gotcwork on2ndvkinevin 2ndvhalf butvaksobsubbedvon toppe linecand had great stats fikkingva more featured top role So I think hevorobabky iscubder-ranked duevonlyvtobsituatuonal opportunities...used only secondary role.. mostvof lastcseason...but exolodedviffebsivekyb. When he got more minutes in top scoronh line duty.

ALSO gotcsusoebded 15 games lat season due to social media post where he was onevofvtge Sudburyvpkayersxwarnong an oooonentvtonbexawatecwhen they nextbpkayed...implying revebgevforcthatvguyvbeatibgbuo and injury information obevofvtheirctean-mates...In the old days of hockey suchva spoken "tgheat" was
common parlance amongst rival players and warning to keep your head up was taken with approval by fanscofvthevplayers warnibgvtheyvwoukdvgetvthevguy next game...butvhockeyvhas sussifiedvyp and now OC rukes in pkacectovstiffkecthisckondvofvrevengecwarbibg taints..

Itbis not like he said anything sexual or racial...justcan old-tinervgoobaxget you've nextcgame for watching you did to my tean'-mate lsdtcgame.

I want team-mates sticking up for abused teN-mates.

If they physically roughedvup Bedard you want guys going to give payback to thebm oppos..

We do not want to draft sissy milquetoasts .

Anyway Villenueve has reak with more of a top role coming...and is a good t 200ft player.
Hexwas draftedchigh by Sudbury into the OHL ...so I think he really breaks out this season ...I think hexwill prvexa steal at #67 .

Anyway I putvour 3 kids who shoukld be of interest ifcwecstill own pick#67 (maybe KD pulksoff another trade?

Anyway thisvisxakk posdiblechiven our draft capital..needsxandcwabtscof some other teams.

You can see Buffalo thinking how well Peterman and Reichel play together in their history with Germany ...

So I think Reichel +#18 for#11 and #43 is a fair exchange.

They coukd draft Sennevke but he may not hot the NHL for 2 more seadons..Peterman might unlock the potential of Reichel...diggingboutvpuckscoffvthevbisrdsxandvinpuck battkescto get Reichel more scoring chances.
Reichek coukd blossom I Buffalo so thevoroce has to be worth it...gettinga Yakemchik for Hawks RDvofctgecfuturecisxsuchvacprize so Hawks definitely for the RDcstructurexwoukd do the deal .

So I hope sobething like this comes to pass.

Ther are other teams with cap room to a Vegas cap problems off their books for#19 andvoucjs back to them ,could be in a bidding war of those cap space teams also have multiple picks in 2nd and 3rd round...but #43 (viatrade with Buffalo ( and #72 should do the trick for helping Vegas get cap space while still adding quantity for their pipeline...

# 21 for #34+#50 is a typical givevupb1 pick to get 2 picks type deal that teams with onlyv1 pick over first 3 rounds do ..we have seen this before...so maybe L A. Makes such a deal with the Hawks ?

It is all possible.

If this Master Plan is accomplished byvKD we get a draft looking like this:
LINDSTROM C
YAKEMCHUK RD / or SENNECKE RW
SOLBEG LD
HAGE C/RW or SURIN LS RW C
ZETHER C or BERGLUND C/RW
Or VILLNEUVE C/RW

This would be a tremendous draft for the Hawks...and Size,Speed,Physicality ,Skill abd compete..if we got Yakemchuk at #11 ,along with Sokbergcat #19; that is a pairing that changes everything in favourvofxa future Cup wining tea. Size Physicality great shots...skating . SOlLBERG already is a superior defender. YAKENCHUK is a superiorvoffensivectgreat ...just neddsxtobrefibevsonevofvhis defebsivecdecision-majing..But it coukd becone the bestc1-2pairng in hockey in a few years.

My plan is brilliant...forget Levshunov orc Demidov..Lindstrom starts the transfer to a much bigger more balanced Hawks team...Stilklroom for the liittle guys..but now a much biggerx tougher team to cope with..

If both Hage or Surin tgerexat #21 that woukd becaxtoughvdecsuion...Hage sobgoidvin o-zobe..Surin is a risk if he cannot control his violent physicality. O woukdvoredictcHage goes ahead of Surin...butvid gone before#21I still feel haooy taking a risk on Surin controlling that physicality to use it properly....becausechevisxa fine poisoect...good size,skatng, athleticism,good shot...the tools and upside are there,and you can see he plays with a passion ..A very intriguing prosoect..but Hage is morexe creative in the o-zone ...cannot teach hockey sense ..

Cannot have both underctge scenario above..butgetyibg one of them adds to the talent portfolio of the team .

This my draft has no smurfs ..We already have enough onVedard,Nazar,Moore,Lardisxand Kantserov...all under 6'0 ...they compete but only so much you can do physically when you do not have size and strength ...

The draft I propose changes that equation
Kk has size and maybecthecskilk required.. but his size does not translate to power and physical Play ..

Yakemchuk is more physical.. Solberg epitomizes physical play and strength...

That would be d-pairingIthink changes the opps look at the Hawks now...easy pickings to push around..
Anyway KD should Try to make the trades to enable this.

excitemelt.gif

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If Hawks draft Levshunov, I imagine he plays in college again or Rockford. There really isn't a spot for him on the Hawks unless he takes a spot away from EDM/Korchinski/Allan and all 3 of those guys will be competing hard for a roster spot

Reactions: Mrfenn92

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
If Hawks draft Levshunov, I imagine he plays in college again or Rockford. There really isn't a spot for him on the Hawks unless he takes a spot away from EDM/Korchinski/Allan and all 3 of those guys will be competing hard for a roster spot
Honestly I wouldn't mind Korchinski-Levshunov as the top pairing for the Hogs all year. I think Korch could use the year in the Rock. It's a shame the Hawks were in the position they were with him last year. I think Vlasic benefitted from his year there.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I've said the darkhorse option is he signs an ELC, attends Hawks training camp and they assign him to a CHL team (that would acquire his rights). He said in interviews he wanted to go CHL like his former teammate Yegor Sidorov but it wasn't an option due to the nationality ban (which is now lifted).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad