2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
205 at 6'1.75 is already filled out. Not a whole lot of room for growth. For how coveted he is for his size, that's pretty small to be honest. Thought he was going to be 6'2.5+ to be honest. As a forward Demidov is like what? An inch or so shorter?
Is Levshunov coveted for his size? People do like that he's physical, but I don't think he's been billed as a massive defenseman but I could be off base.

He's certainly not Silayev.

Dickinson and Yakemchuk are bigger than him too.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What a disappointing draft where #2 is still being debated right down to the wire.

Wish it would've been one guy with a bullet.

There's going to be a lot of "I told you so" in the front office in a few years when the prospects start to separate themselves. Could result in people getting fired.
why the lottery this year was as important as last year as far as rebuild ceiling...Bedard/Celebrini combo would've been lethal, now we gamble at 2 and hope for the best...it scares me this FO wants to "speed it along"...Hawks pool outside Bedard was ranked 19th by one site, we need multiple years of top picks to have cup ceiling unless they hit total home runs all over

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Honestly, I would take Buium or Dickinson before him. It will be interesting to see what Demidov's height and weight come in at.....I bet you he's 6 feet and at least 175. If that damn Lindstrom didn't have his physical issues, we probably wouldn't be debating this.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
“Coveted for his size”..? What? He’s not Silayev. He’s covered because he’s the best transition defenseman in the draft and well-rounded and a right handed shot. May as well say Celebrini is “coveted for his size”

Reactions: HawksDub89

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Levshunov's biggest calling card is being the big "toolsy" player yet he's slower AND smaller than Sam Dickinson. Dickinson also measured to be one of the leanest players at the combine so he likely has plenty of weight he can afford to put on.
So Dickinson is listed at 6'3 and is officially 6'2.75, and Levshunov is listed at 6'2 and is officially 6'1.75. Not sure what you glean to be new information.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
“Coveted for his size”..? What? He’s not Silayev. He’s covered because he’s the best transition defenseman in the draft and well-rounded and a right handed shot. May as well say Celebrini is “coveted for his size”
A lot of scouts have mentioned the combination of size and skating Levshunov brings to the table. Levshunov's size has been mentioned by a lot of scouts as a big plus. Seeing that he is a little shorter than expected isn't the best news. I think there were a lot of people hoping he'd be closer to 6'3. For the style of game Levshunov plays, being a bit taller to fill out would've been more of a plus. I'm more focused on what he brings on the ice and I think both Buium and Demdiov bring better qualities. Levshunov's still a fine pick, would much rather have those two imo

Reactions: ello

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Adam Kiebler. 6-5.5. How would you guys feel about him at 34? Demidov, jiricek/hage. Kiebler.

Reactions: giza

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

“We’re much more free to go in different directions and get creative with things,” he said. “It’s not necessarily taking more risk in our selections, but we’ve just given ourselves the freedom to branch out and go elsewhere if we feel it’s advantageous.

“We’re willing to sacrifice some areas for others. Because our prospect pool is pretty strong in one aspect, maybe we need something else. Whatever that is, we’re open-minded and willing to ... stray from what people think we’ve especially focused on in the past.”

• Wow
Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

“We’re much more free to go in different directions and get creative with things,” he said. “It’s not necessarily taking more risk in our selections, but we’ve just given ourselves the freedom to branch out and go elsewhere if we feel it’s advantageous.

“We’re willing to sacrifice some areas for others. Because our prospect pool is pretty strong in one aspect, maybe we need something else. Whatever that is, we’re open-minded and willing to ... stray from what people think we’ve especially focused on in the past.”
"We're drafting for need, and we're going way off the board with our picks"

Someone lock this man in jail

Also, "stray from what people think we’ve especially focused on in the past" is a hilarious quote

Are you gonna draft slow smurfs now? Like what do you mean?

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

Everything is smoke and mirrors.

When he's forced to talk to the media he just gives a bunch of cryptic answers. Nothing new to see here. Don't read anything into what Davidson said because he really didn't say anything.

I'll be interested in his comments after the draft. He can explain who he picked and why.

Is it June 28th yet?

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
As was the case when we found out we'd be drafting second, I'm completely good with Levshunov. You can't convince anyone that taking the 6'2" (6'1.75"), right-handed, almost PpG college freshman D at #2 will be a bad thing. Maybe Levshunov won't be the 2nd best player from his draft. Who knows. Literally every kid the Hawks could take at #2 is going to have some sort of legitimate question(s) in their projection but knowing that the Hawks will have a D core of Vlasic, Korchinski, Levshunov, Del Mastro and Rinzel when the next window opens is exciting.

Plus, strategically losing the lottery this year to get Hagens next year was always the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad