2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
What a disappointing draft where #2 is still being debated right down to the wire.

Wish it would've been one guy with a bullet.

There's going to be a lot of "I told you so" in the front office in a few years when the prospects start to separate themselves. Could result in people getting fired.
Nice job, finding an absolutely mundane reason to criticize management.

There is no reason at all right now to cement their opinions on who they plan to take, especially before knowing what Demidov's real height and weight are, or what the situation is with Lindstroms' back.

Reactions: Hakoon

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

There is no reason at all right now to cement their opinions on who they plan to take, especially before knowing what Demidov's real height and weight are, or what the situation is with Lindstroms' back.
The Blackhawks know those things already lol

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
If Levshunov is the guy they like then I’ll trust they made the right decision. He was nominated for a bunch of NCAA awards this year like “player of the year” “defensive player of the year” and I think “rookie of the year” too. Moved up a level 3 years in a row. 6’2” and can skate well.

My combined < 60 minutes spent watching his highlights isn’t enough for me to have an opinion one way or the other.
He was also nominated for the NCAA "best impression of a teenager by a 20 something".

And no, I don't believe that shit.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You have no clue what the Hawks know or don't know. Stop pretending you do.

For all anyone knows, the Hawks could know exactly who they're picking and just aren't keen on letting anyone else know.
Buddy, the Blackhawks already know Lindstrom's back situation. They already know Demidov's height.

They have sources. They do their homework,

Lmao :laugh:

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

Agreed. The combine isn't even done yet. Still a lot more info to gather. They still have the Russian mini camp to do as well.

Take your time and get it right.

Reactions: Giovi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Buddy, the Blackhawks already know Lindstrom's back situation. They already know Demidov's height.

They have sources. They do their homework,

Lmao :laugh:
Does Demidov know his specific height? Does his agent? Who do you think last officially measured him to get their source from this homework?

They have a scout and others who have talked to him in person and seen him, are they objective & accurate in their judgements. People make bad comparisons of size all the damn time

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So every team makes a ranking list uptoba certain point the draft and what remains onthe board becomes the BPA off their list to draft...at the point of switchover they then consider groupings of "close" talent levels of any positioning then pick the best positional fit for their team from this close on talent grouping or "tier"...so we all know this is how the GM playbook is suposed to be followed in the draft
....except if a club thinks that after a certain one or a certain top tier 3,5 or sonetines even more go off the board THEN the switchover to positional need cones quicker in the draft... this draft Celebrini is the consensus BPA at#1...butcafter that no consensus and differing opinions as to who is in the 2nd tier..

What if Hawks at #2 feel there is not much separation in a wider tier of top forwards(Lindstrom,Demidov,Iginla Sennecke Catton ...not easy to predict which of these has highest starimpactat the NHL level..
Or take the top dmen tier of Silayev ,Levshunov,Parekh,Buuim,Dickinson and Yakemchuk...can anyone guarantee who will be the best most impactful mhl player from this grouping..

Look ,we get "lists'" that is all.. the lists are not the same..the rankings differ ...you can average out a group of different ranking opinion lists and then say "aha" we have a consolidated ranking but that may not be close to what each club's own scouts rank the talent..
Usually you do get a top ten or top mid-terns similar list containing the specific prospects but order of ranking differs...

So if thetier after Celebrini is that big and that diverse with forwatds and dmen,maybe the GM should ask : "what position is our biggest Need to have in our pipeline" and THEN go to their own rankings for that position rather than an overall future inpact regardless of position criteria?

So which positional need isca priority pipeline NEED?

RD ...then rank Levshunov, Parekh and Yakemchuk...you can make a case for each...but :

If instead you argue that a Big 2C behind Bedard is paramount ,then you forget dmen and take Lindstrom Or Senecke who some think can play
center.

If you think a talented wingman to play with Bedard is more important
then take Demidov or Sneke
Or Iginla or Catton ..

If was me, I would prioritize tge 2C soit...

But if KD wants wingers for Bedard,not sure you put Denidov ahead of Iginla or Senecke ...

You CAN make a case for Iginla or Senecke over Demidov as they bring both size and physical play Demidov and are better skaters.

It is harder to get the size speed power and scoring at Center in the package of tools Lindstrom brings...so OF the Hawks arexsatisfied on his health not beibg any problem they should go Center...Eve if his ealth report goes sour they still should take
Sennecke who just needs to add to his big frame because he has the athleticism and tools to drive offense at eitger wing or Center..

Some think even Iginla can pkay Center but I think he would help Bedard a lot at wing.

I know Sennecke is not on NY listcas hogh as top 5 let alonecto 2...butvhevhad sicha greatc2nd half...a huge riser for this draft...immense potential to beca star at the NHL level..

Maybe KDxsurproses everyone and takes himat #2?

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I agree that the report that they haven’t made their mind yet, if true, is disappointing. There’s literally no more hockey to be played this year. They’ve had all season to deliberate this.

It’s not like we’re picking between Fantilli and Carlsson here

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Even if they do have all of the measurements and health info (which I doubt they have had a chance to verify themselves) they haven't even met all of the players yet. Why exactly are we disappointed if they haven't made a decision three weeks early with incomplete information?

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Why exactly are we disappointed if they haven't made a decision three weeks early with incomplete information?
people become very emotionally involved in their favorite tv shows and media spectacles. when there isn’t a clear decision to be made, it fuels anxiety. said anxiety is amplified by the cognitive dissonance of being so emotionally invested and opinionated about a decision over which one has precisely zero influence.

Mister X

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2010
IL
I agree that the report that they haven’t made their mind yet, if true, is disappointing. There’s literally no more hockey to be played this year. They’ve had all season to deliberate this.

It’s not like we’re picking between Fantilli and Carlsson here
May I suggest that getting those final combine numbers/measurements and final interviews may infact sway one’s decision between Player 1A and Player 2B?

Unless the gap between #2 and #3 is significant, you want all the data you can obtain before you make a final decision.

I for one think Chicago probably has made a decision on which way they are going. Right now they are just playing tight lipped in the slim chance that someone comes with a trade offer that improves the teams outlook more than the potential impact of the #2 pick.

I still think it is Demidov.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It could be complete BS that they haven't made their mind up on a player. They aren't going to say who they are picking, and aren't going to tip any hat towards who they are picking. It's a nothing statement in my mind.

You gain nothing by saying you know who you're taking at two. The Hawks were "considering all their options" going into the Bedard draft.
Lol posted the same thing at the same time basically.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It could be complete BS that they haven't made their mind up on a player. They aren't going to say who they are picking, and aren't going to tip any hat towards who they are picking. It's a nothing statement in my mind.

Lol posted the same thing at the same time basically.
Yep. It's media white noise.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
After seeing Levshunov's hairline for the first time I think the pick should be him. Looks like he has a mortgage and 2 kids already.
You know with that mortgage and two kids hairline that he will bring it every shift. Can’t afford to be slacking when he has to put food on the table for this imaginary family we all believe he secretly has

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If the end up wanting Demidov, they probably could bluff Anaheim in to a pick swap and free asset.

But like others said - whoever they go with, I'm good. Lots of good options here. And yeah, it does feel right now that the wind is blowing in levshunov's direction.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This thread needs krisbryant/justinfieldsisbest to drop his wisdom as to the player the Hawks select at #2.

Preceeded, of course, with "I'm calling it now".
Does Demidov know his specific height? Does his agent? Who do you think last officially measured him to get their source from this homework?

They have a scout and others who have talked to him in person and seen him, are they objective & accurate in their judgements. People make bad comparisons of size all the damn time
Hawks have had their Russian scout secretly follow him out of the locker room and mark on the wall where the top of his head reaches and measure that. To be safe, he’s done this about 30 times to adjust for any inaccurate measurements.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Hawks have had their Russian scout secretly follow him out of the locker room and mark on the wall where the top of his head reaches and measure that. To be safe, he’s done this about 30 times to adjust for any inaccurate measurements.
...and then the scout let Musto know that the Hawks know Demidovs true height, because, you know, Musto's in the loop.

Reactions: BHawks77 and d rake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad