2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
artyom-levshunov-2024-andrei-markov-2000-guys-just-hear-me-v0-l8hyys7s825d1.jpg

Levshunov is 18 or 34?

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Levshunov is 18 or 34?
Pronman and Powers were discussing our choice at 2 and apparently they are lead to believe the Hawks are picking Levshunov. Levshunov had 3/10 Bob Mckenzie scouts put him at 2, but 5/10 scouts had him 5 or later. I'm more on the less optimistic side, but I'll get over it eventually. I wasn't a fan of the Oliver Moore pick last year and would prefer Demidov this year, but let's see how these guys do relative to the top guys that were available to us before any doubts about KD creep in

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
No one from within the organization is going to leak who they are going to pick.

The insiders are only speculating. They have no inside knowledge on this topic.

If any info was "leaked" to an insider it would be to throw the other teams off. But the other teams know this. They know how the game is played.

Reactions: bwana63

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If RD is the priority at #2 comvince me Levshunov will have more offensive impact including PP QB than Yakemchuk would..

I do not see it.

Lev's point shot from distance is good but tgere is less dynamism to hisxattack than all tgexwzys Yakemchuk uses...He is simply less "excitibg" ....maybe the rankers are leery of thecisks Yakemchuk takes and prefer a more conventional 2 way steady approach...

Iam still not sure why given the size alk the tools, equal if not better physicality ,certainly better puck handler ,certainly more electrical either needs to improve decision-making in neutrak zone,why Yakemchuk id not rated better for potential star dman than Lesvsnovv?

Defensively I am not sure Levshunov has the work ethic in the d-zone that Yakenchuk puts out...the only drawback on Yakemchuk I see is the occasionall lapse /poor decision i n the neutral zone where gao control goes off... Maybe they think Levshunov is a lot more reliable with such neutral zone decisions on closing off attacks..

But once in tgevo-zone,by far Yakemchuk is more dangerous and certainly the more dynamic player.

Maybe you coukdcsay Levshunov is more advanced defensively especialky in the neutral zone ...but otgerwisexI think Yakemchuk coukd have real star potebtial...Levshinov is more 50-60 certain floor so a more conservative bet ...but esoecoalky if hecqb's a Pp1,Yakemchuk has 80+points ceiling plus you still get size physicality work ethic and you hope he improves his defensive decision-making ?

I think Yachemchuk's celingbusxa 1RD star...I think Levshunov is a high 2RD with less impact if he isvonOo1 but useful in PK role ...nit sure Yakenchuk can be useful...yet..on PK...

So this isxwhy theyvusex"alk-round" 2 way dman for Levshunov...

But Yakemchuk has tge skating and physicality to be used in every role too..itbis just that he needs to improvevon sone defensive processing and deciion making...so maybectgey rank Lev higher because he is more polished moreadvanced to take axroke in thecshow sooner...maybe onkyv1 mirexseason from starting NHL 2RD role..

MaybectgeyvviewxYakemchuk asxax2-3yearcaway NHK 2RD with eventuaklyca staring 1D leader inoactvrole?

But maybe drafyingcasvhigh as #2you do not want to wait 3 more sesdobsvto inject such a high pick?

So you go the more conservative high floor route ratger than shoot for thevooos hoping Yakemchuk works on the parts of his ganectgatvneedvto improve if he ever can be ready to get to ekite ceiling?

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Apparently next draft is forward heavy, so probably there. And we still have a first we can upgrade from 18.

And if they might say f*** it and sign Guentzel. That’s guaranteed scoring for a few years.
Its kind of funny how people are acting like Demidov is a sure fire thing, but then act like he is coming over next season. If we draft a forward this yr or next yr they are on same time frame to play in NHL as Demidov is. I would argue Iginla, Catton, Sennecke, Lindstrom can provide the same level impact as Demidov

Reactions: HawksDub89

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Its kind of funny how people are acting like Demidov is a sure fire thing, but then act like he is coming over next season. If we draft a forward this yr or next yr they are on same time frame to play in NHL as Demidov is. I would argue Iginla, Catton, Sennecke, Lindstrom can provide the same level impact as Demidov
but the top 2 rated D men projected in the top 8 are RD. take the BPA. IMO that is Demidov.

Reactions: wladyslaw

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
The first bolded part is iffy since at this point in time there's not certainty in the Hawks draft position.

The second bolded part is possible. In this draft, it's possible that several or none of the top defensemen can provide the same level impact as Levshunov.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
The first bolded part is iffy since at this point in time there's not certainty in the Hawks draft position.

The second bolded part is possible. In this draft, it's possible that several or none of the top defensemen can provide the same level impact as Levshunov.
I guess my biggest argument is people anointing Demidov as some hockey savant while not acknowledging the inferior level of talent he is facing. I am more worried about his size, lack of speed, and creating bad habits that wont translate to players who are much bigger and faster in NHL. I wont be pissed if Blackhawks take him but at this point I am more a play it safe and take the RHD Dman who has size/skills intangibles and playing at collegiate level against way higher competition, Move up from 18 and try and snag one of Catton, Iginla, Sennecke as the additional scoring punch

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I guess my biggest argument is people anointing Demidov as some hockey savant while not acknowledging the inferior level of talent he is facing. I am more worried about his size, lack of speed, and creating bad habits that wont translate to players who are much bigger and faster in NHL. I wont be pissed if Blackhawks take him but at this point I am more a play it safe and take the RHD Dman who has size/skills intangibles and playing at collegiate level against way higher competition, Move up from 18 and try and snag one of Catton, Iginla, Sennecke as the additional scoring punch
Can’t say I disagree. Except I’d drop some in front of intangibles.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Powers reporting today that he thinks it going to be Levshunov based on what he's heard and the resources the Hawks have invested into watching Michigan State.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Powers reporting today that he thinks it going to be Levshunov based on what he's heard and the resources the Hawks have invested into watching Michigan State.
Really surprised it's not Dickinson

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Levshunov is 18 or 34?
Nickname--Benjamin Button... 40 going on 16...
His photo is as confusing as the #2 pick.... Is he going to retire early due to pre-mature aging??? OR is he gonna grow another 2 inches and 25 lbs due to --he looks like he is a 15 year old 🧓???

Very confused

I go Demidov!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: hawksrule

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If Levshunov is the guy they like then I’ll trust they made the right decision. He was nominated for a bunch of NCAA awards this year like “player of the year” “defensive player of the year” and I think “rookie of the year” too. Moved up a level 3 years in a row. 6’2” and can skate well.

My combined < 60 minutes spent watching his highlights isn’t enough for me to have an opinion one way or the other.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Levshunov is the guy they like then I’ll trust they made the right decision. He was nominated for a bunch of NCAA awards this year like “player of the year” “defensive player of the year” and I think “rookie of the year” too. Moved up a level 3 years in a row. 6’2” and can skate well.

My combined < 60 minutes spent watching his highlights isn’t enough for me to have an opinion one way or the other.
Yeah, I didnt get blown away by him in any of my limited viewings of him. Seemed he was disinterested at times in his own zone, but had all kinds of energy when the puck went towards the opposing end. Has a great shot, good skating, and good vision. But some of his decision making was questionable, but hard to deny the talent and the success of such a young guy in NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad