2024 IIHF WOMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They arrived to this tournament with 11 straight losses, or one win in their last 17 games since beating France and Hungary at the World Championships last year. And that included losses to both France and Hungary among others (in part due to diarrhea within the team in that particular tournament, but nonetheless)... So let's call it a pleasant surprise to not only avoid relegation but to win the group this convincingly, and I think today they could really enjoy that situation on the ice after the struggles. Historically they have a winning record against Czechia, but in their current form I'd say they're the two extremes of the same tier and not in their favor. On a good day they can win, but it'll definitely take that good day.
Are they our most likely quarter with the game at 1-1?

I am finding not much room between 3 to 8 lately so I take nothing for granted and would expect a good game. I only pop in at World's and don't follow this closely.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Are they our most likely quarter with the game at 1-1?

I am finding not much room between 3 to 8 lately so I take nothing for granted and would expect a good game. I only pop in at World's and don't follow this closely.

The way I see it, Germany can beat any team that's not Canada or the US, if Sandra Abstreiter goes nuts in goal and they get a little lucky on offense, but they will be outplayed by a fair margin in the quarters no matter who the opponent is going to be.
So far the team has definitely been better than the sum of its parts, but in the end it will come down to Abstreiter.

Reactions: Czechboy

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The way I see it, Germany can beat any team that's not Canada or the US, if Sandra Abstreiter goes nuts in goal and they get a little lucky on offense, but they will be outplayed by a fair margin in the quarters no matter who the opponent is going to be.
So far the team has definitely been better than the sum of its parts, but in the end it will come down to Abstreiter.
I like their chances better against the relatively young Czech or Swiss teams whereas Finland despite not being quite as good as before still has those experienced players that can turn a game like this around with routine.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, bring on Germany. Thrilled we confirmed our 3rd place spot from the last two tourneys. Have zero ego going into quarters and hope we can pull it out.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Would have been a soft call if it was called. There wasn't much contact made, would be very iffy to call that in OT.

On another note, tough to say the women's game isn't growing. That was a great crowd that turned out.

Here's an angle that show it being a swipe at the puck that taps Jenner's shin or skate.

Definitely on the lighter side, might be Jenner being tired. Referee discression there is a two-edged sword, though.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I like the US and Canada to win and end up in the Gold game. Really putting myself out there for that prediction.

Other 2 games I could see as a toss up. Boring semis followed by 2 great medal games though!

I 'think' it was the last Olympics where Denmark beat the Czechs in both Mens and Womens hockey.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
While I have some of you interested posters here...what is the Italians plan to try and not get blown out of Milan? under 2 years away. Div 1 B 3rd place.. still some ways off a China, Denmark, France, Hungary or Slovakia.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
While I have some of you interested posters here...what is the Italians plan to try and not get blown out of Milan? under 2 years away. Div 1 B 3rd place.. still some ways off a China, Denmark, France, Hungary or Slovakia.
Laura Fortino is working on gaining eligibility for them... but considering she is also an AC and the director of player development for the OHL's Brantford Bulldogs, I'm starting to think the IIHF is going to close their eyes on the residency requirement.

But yeah, don't have much hope for them unless they bring in some NA players next season (change of nationality for female players is 1 and 2 years instead of 2 and 4 for male). EV Bozen Eagles is not anymore a title contender in EWHL, finishing no higher than 8th the last 4 seasons.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Would have been a soft call if it was called. There wasn't much contact made, would be very iffy to call that in OT.

On another note, tough to say the women's game isn't growing. That was a great crowd that turned out.
I bought tickets to all of the USA games. The old barn was electric Monday night. The gold medal game will be crazy... assuming no upsets before then.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Womens have a different format than the Mens/Juniors. Group 1 is the actual 'contending' division. All 5 teams make it to the QFs with the top 3 from Group B.

This is because Canada/USA are heads & shoulders above the rest (although I have seen upsets happen).

I don't like it personally but that's what it is.

Makes sense because gap between tops and bottoms is so wide. Provides at least an opportunity for the lower teams to get a win or two while minimizing the 18-1 blowouts. And doesn't punish top teams that might miss quarter finals depending on the pool.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Makes sense because gap between tops and bottoms is so wide. Provides at least an opportunity for the lower teams to get a win or two while minimizing the 18-1 blowouts. And doesn't punish top teams that might miss quarter finals depending on the pool.
Then you have a team like Switzerland that hopelessly loses all their games and gets to play Finland in the QF while Sweden loses only one and has to go against Canada. Denmark and China relegated after winning one each.

The system should be such that instead of automatically making the QF regardless of performance, the worst-placed Group A team should have to prove themselves against someone from Group B.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats to Finland. Swiss went 0 for 5. I'm guessing some German ladies would love to play them.. and Swedish ones.. and Japanese ones. Been here before... Always fed to Finland but rarely got to play Japan or Switzerland.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs have a funny German day.

Men's NT just finishing up a game against Germany... Late bloomer Tomasek is killing it.

Then women's NT playing Germany now.

Good luck Ladies. I don't get to watch it because of shitty start time.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Still no goals after 2 periods. The Czech ladies are clearly the better team, but the Germans are hanging in there and Abstreiter continues to do an outstanding job in goal.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Just tuned in to see 0-0 and a crossbar lol. Nice job German ladies... Curious if we can beat this German goalie.. she sounds amazing.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My stat watching says Germany only has 1 shot in third. Hoping that very flakey goal is good enough. Feel for the German goalie. She had no chance.. that was a mighty duck knucklepuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad