2024 IIHF WOMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
2-2.. knew this would be a great game. My understanding is winner gets A pool next year?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Swiss ladies win one match in OT and stay in the top division! Win when it counts. Sorry Germany.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Relegation risk notwithstanding I don't mind, Group B will likely offer some interesting games next year as well with Sweden, Japan, and two new teams that might well include Austria, the Netherlands, and/or France.

Reactions: Maverick41

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Relegation risk notwithstanding I don't mind, Group B will likely offer some interesting games next year as well with Sweden, Japan, and two new teams that might well include Austria, the Netherlands, and/or France.
I was thinking Hungary and France right back up.

Again, I don't see why we are relegating two teams in a 10 team format.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Tuning in and 3-0.. looking forward to bronze vs Finland tomorrow. Think it will be very hard to beat them twice in same tourney.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats Canada... Good luck tomorrow. Since I do think it is hard to beat a team twice . My prediction is Canada gold and Finland bronze. Unlike this one.. I'll be tuning in for entire bronze game. 3-2 is my guess.

Reactions: jj cale and HabSgt

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Will I ever see a GMG with neither Canada nor the U.S. in my lifetime? I doubt it and that's not good for the women's game.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Will I ever see a GMG with neither Canada nor the U.S. in my lifetime? I doubt it and that's not good for the women's game.
Not very likely indeed. Registered female players in countries of this tournament and for comparison the nearest country to that number in men's U20 category:

1. Canada 89,009 (Russia)
2. United States 88,387 (Russia)
3. Sweden 6,625 (Belarus)
4. Finland 6,145 (Norway)
5. Germany 2,272 (Latvia)
6. Switzerland 2,206 (Latvia)
7. Czechia 1,871 (Denmark)
8. China 1,761 (Denmark)
9. Japan 1,281 (Romania)
10. Denmark 702 (Bulgaria)

Of course that's apples and oranges in some regards, but still close enough to compare to Belarus and Norway both making the WJC final over Russia with all their NHL players attending.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It was Finland vs. USA in 2019. (And for a moment it even looked like Finland won the game in overtime, until the goal was disallowed with what was a pretty controversial decision.) So, unless you're four years old...

Also, the 2006 Olympic tournament had Sweden and Canada in the GMG.

But, yeah, these are still more like anomalies than regular occurrences, so I agree with the point about this not being good for the game. And it's of course by no means the fault of the US and Canadian programs. What we need is at least one fully pro women's league in Europe where all the players can play for a living. And that, in turn, requires more keisters in the stands in women's games. Leagues are businesses, after all, not charities.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
The other team has to score pretty much with every good chance they have. I think FInland had about three such chances in semi-final.

Nieminen on the SH in the 2nd, Karvinen in the 2nd and then Vainikka in the 3rd.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It was Finland vs. USA in 2019. (And for a moment it even looked like Finland won the game in overtime, until the goal was disallowed with what was a pretty controversial decision.) So, unless you're four years old...

Also, the 2006 Olympic tournament had Sweden and Canada in the GMG.

But, yeah, these are still more like anomalies than regular occurrences, so I agree with the point about this not being good for the game. And it's of course by no means the fault of the US and Canadian programs. What we need is at least one fully pro women's league in Europe where all the players can play for a living. And that, in turn, requires more keisters in the stands in women's games. Leagues are businesses, after all, not charities.
You misread my post. I said neither Canada nor the U.S. in the finals. In other words, BOTH the U.S. and Canada would be out before the final.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You misread my post. I said neither Canada nor the U.S. in the finals. In other words, BOTH the U.S. and Canada would be out before the final.
I actually misread it too.. my bad. Not on the radar

BUT

If you told me that at some point Canada would be better than the Czechs at soccer and tennis (both male and female) well that was completely unheard of! Not a chance. Both things happened about 4 years ago with the Davis Cup, Fed Cup and Soccer team making the World Cup (easier pool though).

So you never know but it seems highly unlikely. For me this tournament is about watch 1 quarter and the the 2 medal games. The 5/6 match is also very intriguing. But I don't like the pools anymore. They served their purpose but I'm done with them. I'd actually like this format for the World Jr's.

Pool A
Canada
US
Finland
Sweden
5th place using previous tourney

Pool B
Czechs
Slovaks
Germans
Swiss
Latvia
Austria

There would be almost no blowouts. Good game every single day. And then go 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5. It'd be tremendous.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Fully tuned in today...

I still remember the first womens olympic hockey and seeing Slovakia and no Czechs. That program has come a long way. McLeod and Pacina did a lot of heavy lifting and we have some great players in PWHL with some young players coming in! It's all very positive.

Still think Finland is the fav here though based on beating a team twice in same tourney.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
If Czechs win bronze.. they will tie Russia for 4th place on the all time medal count.

Canada, us, Finland and Russia right now

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
[...]
So you never know but it seems highly unlikely. For me this tournament is about watch 1 quarter and the the 2 medal games. The 5/6 match is also very intriguing. But I don't like the pools anymore. They served their purpose but I'm done with them. I'd actually like this format for the World Jr's.
[...]
The format is on the way out.

From today's press conference.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Thought the Finn's may have had the edge in period 1. Very close game! Need a pivo soon.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs did everything but score on that sequence. PP incoming.

On a gripe.. why are our beautiful ladies wearing the ugly jersey?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Lots of pressure and an eventual goal. Czechs with good bounce back.

Own goal is possible here.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Penalty shot IMO... Nonetheless.. Czech PP coming up. Been a great game. The tier 2 gold is always a good match

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad