Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
All Del Mastro has done since being drafted is be consistently awesome. People are too obsessed with draft pedigree for players three years out of their draft.

No - I'm obsessed with wanting a d-man who doesn't get beat wide by CHL and AHL level players too often. Draft pedigree doesn't prevent me from thinking Kaiser has more NHL upside than EDM.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Oh, so you have no idea what you’re talking about. Well I’ll make sure not to argue with you further.
No idea about what? Boisvert wouldn't have been a 1st round prospect talent if he didnt have the tools he has. You wont find any scout/talent evaluator out there that thinks EDM has more potential than Boisvert.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Del Mastro's draft position is irrelevant at this point and he does have a ton of tools. He also was a COVID draft guy and got drafted in the 4th because he put up 7 points as a 16 year old. He's done nothing but get better.

No idea about what? Boisvert wouldn't have been a 1st round prospect talent if he didnt have the tools he has. You wont find any scout/talent evaluator out there that thinks EDM has more potential than Boisvert.
I would bet there are definitely people that think higher of Del Mastro than Boisvert at the NHL level.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Not that, you called Cernak a #4/bottom pairing dman. Yeah he played all the hard shutdown minutes on a two time cup winning team, but the Lightning didn’t need him or anything.

If EDM turns into that top 4 matchup dman like that, the Hawks have struck gold. They still desperately need that.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not that, you called Cernak a #4/bottom pairing dman. Yeah he played all the hard shutdown minutes on a two time cup winning team, but the Lightning didn’t need him or anything.

If EDM turns into that top 4 matchup dman like that, the Hawks have struck gold. They still desperately need that.
He was literally their #4 Dman lol and over the last couple years, hasn't been worth anything more than a bottom pairing Dman.

If he hits that, I agree, they hit gold. But I dont value that more than a top 6 C.

I would bet there are definitely people that think higher of Del Mastro than Boisvert at the NHL level.
I doubt it. Zero possbility of trading EDM for a mid 1st round pick.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I doubt it. Zero possbility of trading EDM for a mid 1st round pick.
I don't really think draft pick value is a good indicator of potential, but even if we go there, Boisvert definitely wasn't ranked as a 1st rounder for every team according to people in those circles. EDM just put up a .54 PPG AHL season as a 20/21 year old and is 6'4 and 200+.

I'd be shocked if there were zero league people who had more time for EDM than Boisvert. This isn't me really trying to dog on Boisvert either, I just think Del Mastro is being undersold.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't really think draft pick value is a good indicator of potential, but even if we go there, Boisvert definitely wasn't ranked as a 1st rounder for every team according to people in those circles.
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #21 by Elite Prospects
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #22 by ISS Hockey
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #26 by FCHockey
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #25 by TSN/Craig Button
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #28 by McKeen's Hockey
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #22 by TSN/McKenzie
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #16 by NHL Central Scouting

No one has access to every teams top 32 players, but he was inside every reputable scout teams top 30.

Only reason a team may take EDM over Boisvert, is he is closer to the NHL. It wouldn't be based off of potential. EDM isn't being undersold, but definitely being oversold by a few here.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
A large part of EDM's ranking, both here and by some prospect writers is his size. So many writers, and so many here, are totally romanced by size.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #21 by Elite Prospects
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #22 by ISS Hockey
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #26 by FCHockey
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #25 by TSN/Craig Button
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #28 by McKeen's Hockey
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #22 by TSN/McKenzie
2024 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #16 by NHL Central Scouting

No one has access to every teams top 32 players, but he was inside every reputable scout teams top 30.

Only reason a team may take EDM over Boisvert, is he is closer to the NHL. It wouldn't be based off of potential. EDM isn't being undersold, but definitely being oversold by a few here.
I was listening to Pronman and Wheeler talk about Boisvert and said they talked to teams that had him as a mid 2nd and teams that had him around Chicago depending on how they projected the offense.

I'm really not trying to dog Boisvert anyway, like I said.

A large part of EDM's ranking, both here and by some prospect writers is his size. So many writers, and so many here, are totally romanced by size.
He has a lot of tools and he happens to be big.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Isn’t that exactly what you guys are doing with Boisvert? Well he’s 6’2 and shoots the puck hard and works hard. He also isn’t a good skater, his offensive instincts aren’t at all top tier, has poor vision and is a defensive mess. The guy reminds me of Ty Dell’Andrea.

And as TLEH said above, EDM is big, but is much more than that. The biggest thing is, he’s a ++ defender everywhere he’s played so far. I don’t know how you don’t find that extremely useful.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Eh.. this isn't Rinzel we're talking about here or even Levshunov. EDM is big, mean and has good hockey sense. But he isn't a great skater, his shot is average, his vision on the ice is below average and his passing, although underrated, isn't great especially in transition. I like him but all these tools with him I just don't see.

This is more where I land on EDM as well. I like the prospect. I think he's going to play games in the NHL for a long time. I just don't see a really high-end player. I think someone in a Marc Methot mold. A guy that could play important minutes for your team with a high-end partner.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

I think size can be a big help for a defender.
The extra reach lets you cover a larger gap ad hopefully allows you to use your body to move attacking players.

As long as he's not big AND slow, I can see why it's such a plus.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Isn’t that exactly what you guys are doing with Boisvert? Well he’s 6’2 and shoots the puck hard and works hard. He also isn’t a good skater, his offensive instincts aren’t at all top tier, has poor vision and is a defensive mess. The guy reminds me of Ty Dell’Andrea.
It's OK to be wrong and not know what you are watching.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why is this thread talk all about the last vote not Vanacker vs Electronic dance music

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It's OK to be wrong and not know what you are watching.
I guess it’s just me right? Not me and most of the other scouts who say the exact same thing? Like some of you are putting up comparisons to Toews ffs.

Like you’re not even trying anymore. Toews had incredible IQ. This plug has none. Kind of like you.

• Haha
Reactions: dj Mahoney

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I guess it’s just me right? Not me and most of the other scouts who say the exact same thing?
not to interrupt you totally and epically pwning that guy or anything, but i’ve yet to see anyone point to a scout who says boisvert skates poorly. it’s something i’ve only seen you and certified brain genius musto say. maybe you can help me out here. asking for a friend.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I guess it’s just me right? Not me and most of the other scouts who say the exact same thing? Like some of you are putting up comparisons to Toews ffs.

Like you’re not even trying anymore. Toews had incredible IQ. This plug has none. Kind of like you.
I'm far from sold on the player but you can't go appeal to authority when you're saying things the majority of scouts are not saying. He wasn't a consensus mid-late first rounder because he's dumb, can't skate, and can't defend. The bad skater take is especially nonsense.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
The Sacha Boisvert "can't skate" is a terrible myth that needs to stop right now.
Defense too maybe

“This player is tougher than rawhide. His frame is such that there’s plenty of room for growth, but he’s already wiry strong. Boisvert is a great skater who shoots the puck a ton. At his best, he can impact a game in a variety of ways. He projects as a skilled power forward and can play both centre and wing.” - *Sam Cosentino, Sportsnet*

“Big, strong, and ultra-competitive, Boisvert was born in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, and is expected to further his development at the University of North Dakota next season, where he would become the first Quebec-born player with the program. He takes pride in his two-way game and success on face-offs and was fifth in the USHL with 36 goals in 61 games.” - *Mike Morreale, NHL.com*

Scouts like the way the 18-year-old improved his skating as the season went on, further improving his 200-foot game. With Bedard, Oliver Moore (2023, No. 19) and Frank Nazar (2022, No. 13) the Blackhawks have stockpiled high-skill centers; Boisvert (6-2, 183) brings a bit more size and a 200-foot game to go along with the skill that saw him total 68 points (36 goals, 32 assists) in 61 games this season.” - *Adam Kimelman, NHL.com*

“Boisvert has been a highly productive USHL player over the last two seasons. He has a lot of appealing tools for the NHL. He's a 6-2 center who can skate and has legit offensive abilities. He is very skilled and instinctive with the puck. He's able to beat defenders with pace as well. Boisvert has an excellent shot and is a threat to score from the faceoff dots.” - *Corey Pronman, The Athletic*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad