Prospect Info: 2024 HF Hawks Prospect Rankings - #6

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the #6 prospect in Blackhawks system

• Colton Dach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gavin Hayes

• Martin Misiak

• John Mustard

• Jack Pridham

• A.J. Spellacy

• Victor Stjernborg

• Other (Specify in thread)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This is more where I land on EDM as well. I like the prospect. I think he's going to play games in the NHL for a long time. I just don't see a really high-end player. I think someone in a Marc Methot mold. A guy that could play important minutes for your team with a high-end partner.
I like the Methot comp a lot for EDM.

Maybe you can squeeze a tinge more offense out of him compared to Methot, but I think that's a very reasonable projection.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
This is more where I land on EDM as well. I like the prospect. I think he's going to play games in the NHL for a long time. I just don't see a really high-end player. I think someone in a Marc Methot mold. A guy that could play important minutes for your team with a high-end partner.
It’s a home run if he turns into marc methot

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
EDM is a glue guy, responsible defensively, best shutdown dman for Canadas WJ Team for two years , 6'4" moves the puck well, he will be a super important part of the D core that is likely to be a top 4 guy. EDM has better offensive skills than most folk think IMO. He has not been the GO TO offensive guy on D historical because he's typically the shutdown dman. Last year making the AHL all star team is great! He got to play a bit more of a O role last year so that is great. Sky is the limit, our D prospect pool is amazing

Reactions: scorehawks and pvr

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
give it a break with your man crush on Kaiser, please. EDM easily over WK

Yeah, it's probably cuz I have a crush on Kaiser ... it couldn't possibly be that I've watched both of them play enough to know Kaiser is the the better d-man. The only thing EDM has over Kaiser is size.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah, it's probably cuz I have a crush on Kaiser ... it couldn't possibly be that I've watched both of them play enough to know Kaiser is the the better d-man. The only thing EDM has over Kaiser is size.
I like Kaiser a lot but when the speed slows down from the NHL to the AHL he looks like a guy that's so much more comfortable and confident. It could just be growth and reps but Kaiser turned from an overexposed child playing against men into a bad mother f***er late last year with Rockford.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I like Kaiser a lot but when the speed slows down from the NHL to the AHL he looks like a guy that's so much more comfortable and confident. It could just be growth and reps but Kaiser turned from an overexposed child playing against men into a bad mother f***er late last year with Rockford.

Well, we'll see. I think Kaiser has plenty of speed/quickness to play in the NHL and he will have to because that is his game because he won't succeed with size.

He reminds me of Keith in the way that he is slippery and shifty with his skating and while I think he's a far way from Keith's overall game - I think he has the tools to get there, maybe.

Reactions: Sinbad

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
No - I'm obsessed with wanting a d-man who doesn't get beat wide by CHL and AHL level players too often. Draft pedigree doesn't prevent me from thinking Kaiser has more NHL upside than EDM
Time will tell, but Del Mastro was the only guy that looked like an NHLer when I saw Rockford. Kaiser looks like a tweener - I don’t think he’s got enough skill to compensate for his size.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I guess it’s just me right? Not me and most of the other scouts who say the exact same thing? Like some of you are putting up comparisons to Toews ffs.

Like you’re not even trying anymore. Toews had incredible IQ. This plug has none. Kind of like you.
Did you see me make a Toews comparison? No. Resort to name calling, typical of someone who has nothing to back their statements up. GFY.

I'm far from sold on the player but you can't go appeal to authority when you're saying things the majority of scouts are not saying. He wasn't a consensus mid-late first rounder because he's dumb, can't skate, and can't defend. The bad skater take is especially nonsense.
lol Hatrick Kane has never known what he is talking about, par for the course.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I like the Methot comp a lot for EDM.

Maybe you can squeeze a tinge more offense out of him compared to Methot, but I think that's a very reasonable projection.
If EDM can get to that level of player it would be a HUGE draft win for the Hawks. For them to get to where we want them to be, they need some of those later round picks to hit. My hope is Lardis is one of those guys as well.

Reactions: hawksrule

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Well, we'll see. I think Kaiser has plenty of speed/quickness to play in the NHL and he will have to because that is his game because he won't succeed with size.

He reminds me of Keith in the way that he is slippery and shifty with his skating and while I think he's a far way from Keith's overall game - I think he has the tools to get there, maybe.
Kaiser reminds you of Duncan Keith and I'm the guy who is over rating EDM?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Kaiser reminds you of Duncan Keith and I'm the guy who is over rating EDM?
Not to get in the middle of the spat - but ER did say that he "reminded" of DK with the skating/shiftiness, not that he expected him to be DK. Just like how EDM reminds some of Seabrook, while lacking the offense and some agility.

In either case - I hope you're both correct and they both turn into legit NHL d-men. I'd give EDM the edge just because there are more legit NHL'ers who have that profile (big physical d-man that don't have happy feet) than guys WK's size who can compensate with edgework and skating.

Reactions: Sinbad

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Where did "Del Mastro can't skate" even come from? Like is that just one of those "HF-isms" that got said one time and then repeated ad nauseum until it became fact.

Here's a scouting report before the 2021 Draft.

Skating​

Coming in at 6-foot-4, Del Mastro also has outstanding skating for his size. He is extremely mobile and this makes him extremely good defensively and can help him develop his offensive game. He has a strong and powerful stride. This gives him very good speed and acceleration in both directions. He also has very good agility and edgework. This allows Del Mastro to maintain good gap control. He also has strong pivots, allowing him to transition from offence to defence and vice-versa. Del Mastro is also strong on his skates for his age, playing physically and winning battles on the boards and in front of the net. As he continues to add muscle to his frame, this should continue to improve.

Anybody who’s watched Del Mastro play knows that he has a lot of very attractive traits that could help him translate into a legitimate NHL defender. He already has an NHL frame, standing 6 foot 4 and weighing 205 pounds. What’s more impressive, though, is how smooth and quick he is as a skater despite his size.

“Del Mastro is also a very reliable and menacing defender. With his NHL-like frame, he stands at 6-foot-4, 205 pounds. He’s still a very fluid skater as he has great mobility, but he’s definitely not afraid of playing the body. He has a long stride and good speed to catch up to the puck carrier and laying a big hit on his opponent. He was very active in this department at the U18 Championship. He has a long reach and active stick. He’s able to break plays up effectively and create turnovers, leading to a quick transition with his passing.” – Peter Baracchini, The Hockey Writers

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sam Rinzel (6/25/2004): 6'3.25 at Combine, listed as 6'4.
Ethan Del Mastro (1/15/2003): No Combine in 2021, but Del Mastro is also listed at 6'4.

Age 19 Season:

Rinzel: Number 6 Defenseman for USA in the 2024 World Juniors (Gold Medal) as a 19 year old. 2023-24 All-Big Ten Second Team (behind 2nd round pick Seamus Casey and soon to be 2nd overall pick Artyom Levshunov, alongside 3nd team with 2nd round pick Ryan Chesley and Super Senior Scooter Brickley. Also Big-Ten All Freshman Team alongside Levshunov)
Del Mastro: Top 3 shutdown role for Canada in the 2023 World Juniors (Gold Medal) as a 19 year old. 2022-23 Second Team OHL All-Star Team (behind Top 10 picks, Pavel Mintyukov and Brandt Clarke, alongside 2nd team with 1st Round Pick Logan Mailloux)

Age 20 Season:

Rinzel: Going back to Minnesota for another year of NCAA, TBD.
Del Mastro: 2023-24 AHL All-Star. Good offensive production and a +14 in a pro league.

I don't really see anything to suggest Del Mastro is behind, let alone significantly, compared to Rinzel as they are only a draft year and hockey birth year apart. The only edge I give to Rinzel is handedness scarcity.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Wheeler had his top 100 prospects list (under 23 and not "established" in the NHL) in the Athletic today. He ranked Lev #4, Moore #44, Nazar #59, Rinzel #80, Reichel #83 and Boisvert/EDM among the 17 "final cuts". 5 in the top 100 and 7 in the top 120ish is a pretty healthy pool.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Where did "Del Mastro can't skate" even come from? Like is that just one of those "HF-isms" that got said one time and then repeated ad nauseum until it became fact.
I dont think anyone has said he can't skate, but his skating isn't great or anything like that. Boisvert is a better skater, so those calling him a bad skater must think EDM is a terrible skater.

Reactions: clydesdale line

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Wheeler had his top 100 prospects list (under 23 and not "established" in the NHL) in the Athletic today. He ranked Lev #4, Moore #44, Nazar #59, Rinzel #80, Reichel #83 and Boisvert/EDM among the 17 "final cuts". 5 in the top 100 and 7 in the top 120ish is a pretty healthy pool.
I guess he counts Korchinski as "established" and Reichel as "not established".

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not to get in the middle of the spat - but ER did say that he "reminded" of DK with the skating/shiftiness, not that he expected him to be DK. Just like how EDM reminds some of Seabrook, while lacking the offense and some agility.

In either case - I hope you're both correct and they both turn into legit NHL d-men. I'd give EDM the edge just because there are more legit NHL'ers who have that profile (big physical d-man that don't have happy feet) than guys WK's size who can compensate with edgework and skating.
Sure but the only guy we've had that reminds me of Keith was Leddy because that's elite wheels. +++. Kaiser is a much farther away talent from Keith than EDM is Seabrook.

I also don't like comparing guys to first ballot hall of famers unless they're blue chip highest of the high prospects. People have said Boisvert looks like Toews and I'm shaking my head because if he pans out he's a north south winger with a great shot and a bunch of tools with no tool box. Alex Frolov would be my comp.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I guess since Korchinski never saw AHL time and played the full year in the NHL and Reichel was up and down from AHL/NHL and ended the season in the AHL.
True, Reichel failed to survive an entire season on a team that was begging to gift him a spot, and he signed for a near league minimum deal. Korchinski making the "established" is a bit more surprising but I guess goes into the arbitrariness of it. He certainly would have gone to the AHL had he been eligible.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
can anyone think of a prospect who was consistently compared to another skater and turned out to be significantly similar to that player?

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I guess since Korchinski never saw AHL time and played the full year in the NHL and Reichel was up and down from AHL/NHL and ended the season in the AHL.
He has Benson on there who played about as many games as Korchinski in the NHL last year. I think it's just entirely arbitrary.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I think the under 23 regardless of NHL or not is a beter way to look at it where you bring Bedard, Korchinski and even Vlassic (almost) back into that conversation. When you add those 3 to Lev #4, Moore #44, Nazar #59, Rinzel #80, Reichel #83 and Boisvert/EDM among the 17 "final cuts" we should be pluggin half of an NHL roster with high end talent in a few years time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad