Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
I don’t think we take jiricek. He doesn’t fit our profile. We like to spend 1st in guys with less risk/higher floor. This is part of why we haven’t taken many d in 1st under Army, as he believes those picks are too valuable to miss on so we are willing to sacrifice ceiling for safer floor.

Jiricek scares me and I think he scares club too. He may end up as great player, but the year he had doesn’t argue for that likelihood. The injury itself will heal, but missing last 4 months after rough start means he lost key development year. That adds risk. If solberg is gone, I think we either pick hage/mbn/luchenko or trade down.
I totally agree on Jiricek. I can't see the Blues selecting him. If the Blues stay at #16 one of Solberg,
MBN, or Luchenko should be available. If they aren't, that means a better prospect has fallen and
could provide a scenario for a trade down. Hoping for Solberg.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I had him 15 on my list over Helenius. Excellent skater good size two way and very under appreciated. Saw him plenty playing with a fellow Blues prospect. I would compare him to Robert Thomas, not Benson.
Yeah, I don’t see Benson either. Nick Suzuki/Robert Thomas type. I’d bet on him having a really big D+1 year. Notable that he’s now higher than Solberg and Hage in McKenzie’s Final scout poll.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
When Stevens was younger he played like that. Got his butt kicked a few times but didn’t back down.
I played defense (not very well), and the icing rules were different back in the day, we were taught to win the race for the puck even if we had to take a hit
Ramage would slow down and let the other guy win and then just smoke him

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don’t think we take jiricek. He doesn’t fit our profile. We like to spend 1st in guys with less risk/higher floor. This is part of why we haven’t taken many d in 1st under Army, as he believes those picks are too valuable to miss on so we are willing to sacrifice ceiling for safer floor.

Jiricek scares me and I think he scares club too. He may end up as great player, but the year he had doesn’t argue for that likelihood. The injury itself will heal, but missing last 4 months after rough start means he lost key development year. That adds risk. If solberg is gone, I think we either pick hage/mbn/luchenko or trade down.

Luchenko is another guy that feels like a very Blues pick. Very young for the class, very responsible player. If he has high compete paired in with that I’d imagine that he’s towards the top of our draft board.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Luchenko is another guy that feels like a very Blues pick. Very young for the class, very responsible player. If he has high compete paired in with that I’d imagine that he’s towards the top of our draft board.
@STL fan in MN has been driving the Luchenko hype train and I've gradually gotten on board. We will have good options, particularly at forward.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Yeah, I don’t see Benson either. Nick Suzuki/Robert Thomas type. I’d bet on him having a really big D+1 year. Notable that he’s now higher than Solberg and Hage in McKenzie’s Final scout poll.
I see them both recognizing where the puck will be, using skating and effort to get there, be a pita, win pucks with smarts and hands and then make good plays
I see the effort in all zones

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021

I hope you are right!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
High compete you say? He was voted as 2nd hardest working in the Western Conf by the coaches. 2023-24 OHL Coaches Poll Results - Ontario Hockey League

One of 4 times he showed up on this poll. Pretty impressive for a 17 year old.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
someway somehow i would love to come out of this draft with Surin
Me too. Just doesn’t seem likely though. I could see him fall a bit due to being Russian and his best hockey was late in the season but I doubt he’s still around at 48. So it’s likely either at 16 or we don’t get him unfortunately.

Unless there’s a trade that secures us another pick or something but I’m not counting on that.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Sorry to keep you guys waiting. I know you guys have been really looking forward to seeing my annual final rankings for the 1st round of the draft. I've put in a ton of work to put this list together, it's been in the works for a few weeks now. There were some really tough decisions that had to be made, but I think I like how it ended up.

So here it is, my 2024 "Best Names of the 1st Round"
(Based off Bob McKenzie's top 32)

1 Zeev Buium
2 Konsta Helenius
3 Jett Luchanko
4 Terik Parascak
5 Marek Vanacker
6 Dominik Badinka
7 Igor Chernyshov
8 Tij Iginla
9 Macklin Celebrini
10 Beckett Sennecke
11 Ivan Demidov
12 Cole Beaudoin
13 Ryder Ritchie
14 Emil Hemming
15 Ej Emery
16 Stian Solberg
17 Anton Silayev
18 Cole Eiserman
19 Sacha Boisvert
20 Liam Greentree
21 Zayne Parekh
22 Artyom Levshunov
23 Adam Jiricek
24 Carter Yakemchuk
25 Berkly Catton
26 Sam O'Reilly
27 Andrew Basha
28 Michael Hage
29 Cayden Lindstrom
30 Sam Dickinson
31 Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
32 Trevor Connelly

Let me know what you guys think.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Imagine getting Solberg and trading Buch and moving up for Greentree. That would adding be some serious size and toughness. I’d be down with that

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Any interest in moving up for Yakemchuk? And what would it cost? I really like him

As much skill as he has and as great of a frame as he has, I have a lot of reservations about taking a big swing on a guy who has what’s been considered skating issues and has the skill set and playstyle of a forward on the backend.

That being said, I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up having a Brett Burns like career. There’s just a lot of risk there

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If Edmundson and Dunn had a baby, it would be Solberg

he’s a better skating version of Edmundson and a bigger and less skating version of Dunn. That’s my take anyway.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Imagine getting Solberg and trading Buch and moving up for Greentree. That would adding be some serious size and toughness. I’d be down with that
I like the idea of another pick in that range but not sure I can get behind Greentree being the target. I really like his talent but his skating seems to really hold him back. Normally I’d be ok with that risk but with our top two forward prospects having skating as their largest weakness, I’m not sure I’d want another forward in a similar mold.

Blues need to add some speed IMO.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Greentree is not a very good skater at all. He would have to gain 3 to 5 steps to be an average NHL skater. He struggled with the pace at the WJCs. So, AHL then NHL…???? That’s a huge gap in pace. The only person I ever seen him skate around was Parekh in the prospects game. He didn’t stand out in his junior regular season games until opportunity just presented itself and he finished consistently. How many mistakes can he capitalize on moving up levels if he is behind the pace? Make no mistake. He has great hands, but he is slow.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Sorry to keep you guys waiting. I know you guys have been really looking forward to seeing my annual final rankings for the 1st round of the draft. I've put in a ton of work to put this list together, it's been in the works for a few weeks now. There were some really tough decisions that had to be made, but I think I like how it ended up.

So here it is, my 2024 "Best Names of the 1st Round"
(Based off Bob McKenzie's top 32)

1 Zeev Buium
2 Konsta Helenius
3 Jett Luchanko
4 Terik Parascak
5 Marek Vanacker
6 Dominik Badinka
7 Igor Chernyshov
8 Tij Iginla
9 Macklin Celebrini
10 Beckett Sennecke