Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Here’s who I would’ve ended go with (next highest on my board in parentheses).

16. Luchanko (MBN)
48. Freij (Basha)
56. Shuravin (Brunicke)
81. Brunicke (Fransen)
95. Fransen (T. Smith)
113. T. Smith (Skahan)
145. Skahan (He)
209. Swanson
211. Hendrickson

At 209, all of my top 100 were gone so of my HMs, I considered Swanson, Lassila, Hendrickson and Suoniemi. I really wanted to pick Lassila but also wanted to pick a goalie so went with Hendrickson.

Observations:

Do I have some of the D rated too high? I know the Blues need D so did I subconsciously like some of the d-men better than I should have? Most of the time the next highest guy on my board was still available the next time a Blues pick came up.

If the draft played out like this, there’s no way I’d actually pick 5 lefty d-men. I believe in BPA early in the draft but starting at pick 95 and beyond I’m probably taking a couple of He, Misa and Villeneuve instead of the LDs. If the Blues had their 6th (177th overall) both Villeneuve and Misa were available there in Pronman’s mock.
Talk about overhauling the D. Some would say it's overkill but I wouldn't even be upset about it.

Curious about the general consensus here. Blues are on the clock at 16 with no opportuntiies to trade out. Who are you picking out of: Brandsegg-Nygard, Hage, Solberg?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Talk about overhauling the D. Some would say it's overkill but I wouldn't even be upset about it.

Curious about the general consensus here. Blues are on the clock at 16 with no opportuntiies to trade out. Who are you picking out of: Brandsegg-Nygard, Hage, Solberg?

I like Hage

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
someone talked about Luchenko, I think that is who I want this year, he seems like a center version of Zach Benson who I wanted last year

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I'd pick Solberg over any forwards likely to be available, including MBN and Hage. If Catton falls, that would be tougher call.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'd pick Solberg over any forwards likely to be available, including MBN and Hage. If Catton falls, that would be tougher call.

I have seen quite a few mocks where Dickinson has fallen to around 10-12 as other defenseman go ahead of him. If he is still there at 10 I am calling the Devils and find out what they want to move up from 16. They are rumored to be entertaining moving the pick and having Dickinson and Lindstein in our pipeline would give us a strong LHD for the future. If Dickinson is gone I am rolling the dice on Solberg at 16 where I suspect he will still be available.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Damian Frerker

Jun 17, 2021
who would you say is the better overall player? Skahan or Pulkkinen? trying to figure out my 2nd round. Both big and physical.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Solberg but wouldn’t be upset with the other two choices. Hage is a very good top six center prospect, but not a can’t miss. Wing isn’t a premium position but he is the most polished player in the draft whether a 2nd or third liner.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Luchenko is an exceptional skater and two way player. There is no razzle dazzle In His game. He also isn’t smallish.
Not a lot of razzle dazzle in the sense that he isn’t a pull you to the edge of your seat sort of player in terms of puck skills but I think he gets undersold in terms of his skill. His main skill is his hockey sense, which is harder to assess upon a glance. Lots of similarities to Thomas IMO. With shooters like Dvorsky, Snuggerud and Bolduc, we could use another distributor. RT can’t be paired with all of them.

He led Guelph in points as an 17 year old and all of his skills are very translatable to the NHL. He’s ranked a little lower but I think people are sleeping in him. I expect him to go top-20 and I’d be happy if it was at 16.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Two new mocks from Daily face of & the Hockey news came out today & had us picking Greentree .....groan. Doesn't anyone understand our organization?

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Not a lot of razzle dazzle in the sense that he isn’t a pull you to the edge of your seat sort of player in terms of puck skills but I think he gets undersold in terms of his skill. His main skill is his hockey sense, which is harder to assess upon a glance. Lots of similarities to Thomas IMO. With shooters like Dvorsky, Snuggerud and Bolduc, we could use another distributor. RT can’t be paired with all of them.

He led Guelph in points as an 17 year old and all of his skills are very translatable to the NHL. He’s ranked a little lower but I think people are sleeping in him. I expect him to go top-20 and I’d be happy if it was at 16.
I had him 15 on my list over Helenius. Excellent skater good size two way and very under appreciated. Saw him plenty playing with a fellow Blues prospect. I would compare him to Robert Thomas, not Benson.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It's really fun watching Solberg's draft highlight tapes. I don't think i've ever seen a defenseman prioritize reverse hitting verse trying to win a board battle.

I think he's going to become a player regardless of the pairing he plays on who fans will fan in love with. I just hope he isn't over drafted because of this and hopefully he does have some real translatable puck moving ability and it's just not young legs in lower leagues.

Fwiw he looked fantastic at the most recent tournament amongst NHLers.

I'd take the risk

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
It's really fun watching Solberg's draft highlight tapes. I don't think i've ever seen a defenseman prioritize reverse hitting verse trying to win a board battle.

I think he's going to become a player regardless of the pairing he plays on who fans will fan in love with. I just hope he isn't over drafted because of this and hopefully he does have some real translatable puck moving ability and it's just not young legs in lower leagues.

Fwiw he looked fantastic at the most recent tournament amongst NHLers.

I'd take the risk
Rob Ramage

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I get the feeling that we will pick Jirecik with the reasoning he could have been a top 10 pick if not injured, risk vs reward & right hand def. It also wouldn't surprise me if we traded back with someone like the Hawks for another 2nd round pick,

• Wow
Reactions: Drubilly

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I get the feeling that we will pick Jirecik with the reasoning he could have been a top 10 pick if not injured, risk vs reward & right hand def. It also wouldn't surprise me if we traded back with someone like the Hawks for another 2nd round pick,
I’m afraid too even though he didn’t play well in the pro league. At least what I saw is he skates with the puck with his head down and that is never a good thing. I don’t see more than an Elick type with less size.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m afraid too even though he didn’t play well in the pro league. At least what I saw is he skates with the puck with his head down and that is never a good thing. I don’t see more than an Elick type with less size.
I don’t think we take jiricek. He doesn’t fit our profile. We like to spend 1st in guys with less risk/higher floor. This is part of why we haven’t taken many d in 1st under Army, as he believes those picks are too valuable to miss on so we are willing to sacrifice ceiling for safer floor.

Jiricek scares me and I think he scares club too. He may end up as great player, but the year he had doesn’t argue for that likelihood. The injury itself will heal, but missing last 4 months after rough start means he lost key development year. That adds risk. If solberg is gone, I think we either pick hage/mbn/luchenko or trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad