Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Wanted to get this discussion started with it's own formal thread so we can start talking 2024 Draft. Really excited for this one in particular due to how many defensemen are rated in the 1st.

You've got a really nice trio of skilled forwards in Celebrini, Eiserman and Demidov to go with top pair D in Levshunov and Dickinson. Heck of a good top 5 but there are others to get excited about beyond those players and one that's caught my attention from last year is RD Zayne Parekh.

This kid scored 21 goals in 50 games last year for the Saginaw Spirit in the OHL and that was evidently a record for a rookie defenseman in the OHL. The incredible skating, the speed he can generate and the shot..... This guy gets some serious velocity on his shots and he's not just a hammer from the point. He has nifty hands in close and has a great release on his backhand. His ability to handle a forecheck under pressure and still move pucks up and out of his zone is very impressive for a player his age. As a 1v1 defender he uses his stickwork and positioning to break up plays and quickly transition the other way using his high IQ and tremendous skating ability. The PP runs through him and he excels there where his lateral mobility allows him to find shooting lanes with ease and when that lane opens up... rocket shot for a goal. High end OFD that can drive offense from the backend 5v5 and juice up a 1st PP unit. Not a big guy at 6'0, 181 lbs but has the skating and smarts to compensate much like '23 draftee Theo Lindstein who is pretty much the same size. Where Theo excels at 1v1 defending and heavy D zone starts with PK usage, Zayne is much more explosive offensively and a far more skilled player suited to a PP and heavy offensive zone starts so a nice complement to Lindstein. Also...Parekh-O. I'm taking that as a sign from the hockey gods that he should be here.

He's currently at 1 goal, 8 assists for 9 points in 5 games and I'm going to keep tracking this exciting young player throughout the season.

Anyone you're salivating over adding to the Blues from the '24 draft?

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I've started a spreadsheet for this year with some post 2023 draft and then some preseason rankings as I plan on tracking them throughout the year. I will plug more data into the spreadsheet as the year goes on and a find it. If you see any rankings come up, then let me know and I will plug them in. There is also a tab for some guys that were not drafted last year. The Blues have a good opportunity to add some D men in this draft that have top 4 potential to add to their flock of forwards.

Attachments

• NHL Draft 2024.xlsx
    61.6 KB · Views: 16

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Watched more interviews and read some articles on Parekh and found a few things to add some context to his evolving story.

He finished school two years early so hockey could get his full attention at the insistence of his father. That means that last year he was already freed up to focus just on hockey and it resulted in a historic goal scoring season for a 16 year old in the OHL. He's in the gym 5 days a week due to being free of school commitments which means that while his junior peers are in class, he's in the weight room.

Another thing I found notable was Saginaw itself having a reputation for giving creative offensive players the freedom they need to actually develop their game. OFD in particular are given the green light to jump into the play so it's a very good development situation if he stays for his D+1 and D+2 seasons. Basically an ideal development situation for a guy stuck abiding by CHL rules if he's not in the NHL.

His GM in Saginaw told reporters that Parekh has a top 5 smile which I found to be a pretty good indication that his teammates and management view him in a positive light outside of the offense. Just speculation on my part of course but it's always interesting to see what those around them are saying.

His favorite player is Steven Stamkos but he patterns his game after Cale Makar.

Parekh has an elite skill when it comes to creating shooting lanes using his tremendous skating ability and then once that lane opens he fires a laser beam for a goal. The velocity on these shots is Death Star planet destroying level and his release is so tightly controlled, effortless and has such a small range of motion you'd never guess the puck would explode off his stick that fast. So he's combining deception with OP velocity and the skating to create his own lanes. He's beating goalies clean too...can just overpower them picking corners even at range. Just rare, rare shooting ability combined with plus skating.

Added an assist so up to 1-9-10 in 6 games played but hasn't busted out scoring goals yet this year.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
My guy to watch this year is Herman Traff. Should be available in the 2nd round. 6’3” forward with good speed and shot and 200 foot player. Elick is the D I see the Blues having the best shot at that I want. I think will be picking about where we were last year.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I like a kid named EJ Emery. He is from Compton Cali and plays for the USNTDP. 6/3 185, smooth skating dman. Not the most offensive dman on the team, but I think it can come. Likely 15 - 30 range.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It seems some of the bottom feeders have got better. If the Blues suck as bad as I think they’re going to, our draft position if going to surprise people.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We have a much better chance of grabbing that prized defenseman this draft compared to last year.
fwiw, we had a chance last year too, but we took potential franchise center instead of stud d who went to vancouver with following pick. and i'm not complaining, as big skilled centers are unicorns too.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
This draft is loaded with top pair to top 4 potential defenseman isn’t it? At least that’s what I remember people saying last season in the draft thread.

If so, I really hope we can get a high end guy with our first pick. Preferably a RHD because we’re pretty barren in that department.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
This draft is loaded with top pair to top 4 potential defenseman isn’t it? At least that’s what I remember people saying last season in the draft thread.

If so, I really hope we can get a high end guy with our first pick. Preferably a RHD because we’re pretty barren in that department.
We have a first and 2-2nds. Should at least get two.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
We’ll add two more 1sts and a 3rd after we move Buchnevich, Vrana and Kap.
That would be crazy if we could go into next year's draft with (3) 1st's, (2) 2nd's and (3) 3rd's. Wow. Army would probably use some of that to reinforce the team too though.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Celebrini Eiserman Demidov seem to be the 123 in that order. Don’t think we will suck that bad but injuries happen.

Only if we tank or lose players to injuries. Either way, I go BPA. Whether that's defense or forwards, I want the absolute best player we can get. If that's Celebrini or Demidov (not a fan of Eiserman), then go for it, and everything will sort itself out.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Count me as one really intrigued by the defensive class.

Levshunov is probably the best of the group and presents a long term replacement for Faulk/Parayko on the right side.

Dickinson fills a more immediate need being a Lefty but his upside probably isn't quite as high.

Tons of high upside guys beyond that.
Buium and Mews as 2-way guys; Silayev(size and mean streak) and Jiricek(more of a Brodin type) as shutdown guys; Kivihaju(speed and passing), Parekh(devastating shot) and Hutson(his size is a real concern but he's got the full offensive package) as offensive guys.

On the topic of forwards: I have to admit Cayden Lindstrom would be pretty hard to pass up if we end up as a PO team. 6'5" Center who can skate, has silky hands and a well developed mean streak? That's hard to pass up.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL

Levshunov is probably the best of the group and presents a long term replacement for Faulk/Parayko on the right side.

Dickinson fills a more immediate need being a Lefty but his upside probably isn't quite as high.

Buium and Mews as 2-way guys; Silayev(size and mean streak) and Jiricek(more of a Brodin type) as shutdown guys; Kivihaju(speed and passing), Parekh(devastating shot) and Hutson(his size is a real concern but he's got the full offensive package) as offensive guys.

On the topic of forwards: I have to admit Cayden Lindstrom would be pretty hard to pass up if we end up as a PO team. 6'5" Center who can skate, has silky hands and a well developed mean streak? That's hard to pass up.
A 6'5" forward? Can't imagine he makes it past Bill Armstrong.

• Haha
Reactions: ezcreepin

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
The one I'm paying attention to is Anton Silayev. He's 6'7 and plays top 4 minutes in the KHL on a good team. Has 2 goals and 7 points in 19 games. Skates well according to scouts. He is pretty raw but he has an exciting toolkit

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

LMAO D. Jiricek comparable to Brodin? He's more like Weber/Letang hybrid. EASILY 50+ point defenseman with a cannon. You don't know anything and try to sound smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad