Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
It’s funny that Leafs homers suddenly need everyone to understand that this player they are desperate to get rid of is actually elite and one of the best players in the NHL.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Guenther
Maccelli-Bjugstsd-Doan
Kerfoot-McBain-UFA

Trade/UFA-UFA/Trade
Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Kesselring
Kolyachonok

Ingram
Vejmelka
Missing someone?

1719514777928.png

I didn't realize David Perron is a UFA.

Not sure how much he has left in the tank but he had good numbers last year in Detroit. Always been a big fan of his. Would love to bring him to Utah. Could definitely use his agitating qualities and veteran experience in the room too.

There is some connection there too as he was with Armstrong in St. Louis.
Whose ice time would you give to him?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
There's a spot for him in Tucson now that Doan has graduated.

I think Guenther, But and Doan have three RW slots locked up for the future.

Matikka, Raty, Moroz and Fedotov are in a race for the last one.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
There's a spot for him in Tucson now that Doan has graduated.

I think Guenther, But and Doan have three RW slots locked up for the future.

Matikka, Raty, Moroz and Fedotov are in a race for the last one.
But is a right shot but played mostly LW. For whatever that’s worth. ;)

I’d have preferred him to stay at DU another year but his development curve has been steep and if he keeps pace he should be able to handle the AHL.

One thing is for sure, I’m definitely buying AHL TV and I’m definitely driving down to Tucson at least a couple
Times this season to check out some games.

I’m pretty pissed they’re not playing at Mullett. Alex Meruelo sucks.

Reactions: Schemp

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It’s funny that Leafs homers suddenly need everyone to understand that this player they are desperate to get rid of is actually elite and one of the best players in the NHL.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Guenther
Maccelli-Bjugstsd-Doan
Kerfoot-McBain-UFA

Trade/UFA-UFA/Trade
Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Kesselring
Kolyachonok

Ingram
Vejmelka
You can still want to trade a player and acknowledge, they are elite and one of the better players in hockey.

The leafs need a clear shift in how they've built the team and he's probably the easiest one to trade. Just because fans want to trade a player, doesn't make him not what his talent is but carry on.

Also seeing the trades here, no way in hell the leafs get Crouse + Keller for Marner. I think the issue with most leaf fans (me included because I've been trying to wishcast us getting Dobson for Marner) Is that they see the Tkachuk deal and are like "well why can't Marner bring back something like Weegar + Huberdeau."

Which won't happen. The most common one I've seen on the leaf board is Guenther + a pick. Looking at Guenthers box score stats, don't think that one is happening either.

Crouse + McBain + Picks would probably be ideal for me as a leaf fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just let me live in this world for a minute:

1. Trade Vejmelka to Florida for Knight and picks (cap dump)
2. Trade Hayton with the Florida picks to Minnesota for Rossi
3. Trade Schmaltz to Columbus for Laine
4. Sign Perron in UFA

Keller - Rossi - Laine
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - Bjugstad - Doan
Kerfoot - McBain - Perron
O'Brien

XXX - XXX
Moser - Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring
Soderstrom?

Ingram
Knight

Dip into UFA or further trade to add the two missing D ... Andersson, Roy, Gostisbehere, Theodore?

Michael Carcone is also signed next season and could be a trade chip. He's productive and a cheap fit for cap crunched teams.

Reactions: Grimes

samandbigboy

Feb 20, 2019
D.C.
That's the exact kind of land mine that Bill has warned about. Big UFA contract for declining vets at the end of their career.
but he's the center that we have been looking for . . .:naughty: i think 2-3 years at a high $$ is worth the risk while we develop Cooley and see what we have in Geekie.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
but he's the center that we have been looking for . . .:naughty: i think 2-3 years at a high $$ is worth the risk while we develop Cooley and see what we have in Geekie.
I agree, but I think tampa moves other players to clear some cap space. Stamkos for 2-3 years would be fine by me for the same reason you listed. I think he wants to retire in Tampa.
I wanted Jeannot over spicy tuna.

Reactions: Stanley Thermos

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I agree, but I think tampa moves other players to clear some cap space. Stamkos for 2-3 years would be fine by me for the same reason you listed. I think he wants to retire in Tampa.
I wanted Jeannot over spicy tuna.
It's been reported he is going FA on Jul 1. TB made their choice with McDonagh signing.

1719607060466.png

1719607969566.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Prestigeworldwide

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Most I’d want to do for Stammer is 4 years.

We really need to trade for a young D since we didn’t add one to the pipeline today. Someone who is like 24 years old. All of Trouba, Andersson and Ekblad are beyond that.

You can still want to trade a player and acknowledge, they are elite and one of the better players in hockey.

The leafs need a clear shift in how they've built the team and he's probably the easiest one to trade. Just because fans want to trade a player, doesn't make him not what his talent is but carry on.

Also seeing the trades here, no way in hell the leafs get Crouse + Keller for Marner. I think the issue with most leaf fans (me included because I've been trying to wishcast us getting Dobson for Marner) Is that they see the Tkachuk deal and are like "well why can't Marner bring back something like Weegar + Huberdeau."

Which won't happen. The most common one I've seen on the leaf board is Guenther + a pick. Looking at Guenthers box score stats, don't think that one is happening either.

Crouse + McBain + Picks would probably be ideal for me as a leaf fan.
Marner is an elite player in the regular season. His skating, puck handling (fine, stick handling), and IQ allow him to be quite successful in the lower intensity of the RS. However, in the playoffs, he is “contact-adjacent.” You can’t get that guy to mix it up with any more intensity than a busy airport escalator.

And that’s where the comparison with the Tkachuck trade falls flat for me. And that’s not even touching the expectations for his next contract.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Need a LD in UFA on Monday.

Best available:

Brady Skjei
Shayne Gostisbehere
Nikita Zadorov
Brenden Dillon
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Matt Grzelcyk