2024 Draft Discussion

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think I’ve seen us linked to Nygard almost as much as Iginla to Calgary. Here’s hoping.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
In the last 20 years, Connor Bedard and Sam Reinhart are the only 2 WHL draft eligible players to out produce Catton. They went 1st OA and 2nd OA respectively. Catton also had a lot more goals than Reinhart.

Catton went 1st overall in the WHL draft. And he was player of the tournament at the Hlinka. So it’s not just a WHL thing. He was always the best in minor hockey and has shown he can be the best in international play.

When a kid can skate like Catton and is putting up elite video game numbers wherever he goes, they aren’t going to miss. Even if he ends up on the wing… He’ll be a lot closer to Mitch Marner than Perfetti, because of his wheels and IQ.
If he goes outside the top 10 it would be criminal IMO.
Perfetti out produced Catton at every single stage/level. D-1, DY, Hlinka. They are built the same, Perfetti has the higher IQ and Catton is the faster skater. Both are centre's that will likley play more wing throughout their careers. I think they are very similar and in the long run will have long successful careers. Not sure how Catton has done anything to be "closer to Marner than Perfetti". lol. If anything Perfettti is closer to Marner than Catton

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Perfetti out produced Catton at every single stage/level. D-1, DY, Hlinka. They are built the same, Perfetti has the higher IQ and Catton is the faster skater. Both are centre's that will likley play more wing throughout their careers. I think they are very similar and in the long run will have long successful careers. Not sure how Catton has done anything to be "closer to Marner than Perfetti". lol. If anything Perfettti is closer to Marner than Catton
Catton and Marner are both excellent skaters and good defensively to the extent they are both heavily used on the penalty kill. Perfetti is slow and more offense only. He plays sheltered minutes and is still healthy scratched sometimes as a 22 year old. I don’t think he has ever killed a penalty at the NHL level.

Marner and Catton are just throw them out there in any situation type guys. When that type of player also has elite offensive abilities/production, I don’t think they are going to miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Good luck bunting to contention. Gotta swing now and then.

At this point I'd rather take a stab at drafting a DeBrincat and potentially getting nothing than hoping for a... what... Barbashev? and ending up with a Christian Fischer...
Didn't the cardinals do exactly that on the way to their world series championship in 82.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
So, here's my preferences for the #15 pick. (Realistic expectations)

MBN
Hage
Solberg
Greentree
Sennecke
Jiricek

IF THEY FALL
Iginla
Catton
Buium

If Detroit picks a LD like Buium or Solberg then they need to immediately trade one of Wallinder, Shai Buium or Johansson for a forward.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

MBN
Hage
Solberg
Greentree
Sennecke
Jiricek

IF THEY FALL
Iginla
Catton
Buium

If Detroit picks a LD like Buium or Solberg then they need to immediately trade one of Wallinder, Shai Buium or Johansson for a forward.
I add Helenius to if they fall

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I add Helenius to if they fall

I don't think he falls. He's a two-way center playing in a men's pro league already. Guys like that tend to be valued pretty highly at the draft. I think he's solidly a top 10 pick in the draft, and I don't see him getting past that. I can see Montreal, Utah and Seattle making a run for him. Maybe Ottawa if they realize they need to replace Josh Norris.

Reactions: lilidk

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wtf is Chicago doing? They just gave away a 2nd to move up a few slots a month before the draft not knowing how it will fall?

Reactions: lilidk

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wtf is Chicago doing? They just gave away a 2nd to move up a few slots a month before the draft not knowing how it will fall?
Maybe their draft board has a significant drop off after 18 or 19 players. Or maybe there's another trade in the works, but the dance partner said that #20 overall wasn't QUITE enough.

*shrug*

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

MBN
Hage
Solberg
Greentree
Sennecke
Jiricek

IF THEY FALL
Iginla
Catton
Buium

Solberg at 15?

Hell to the no

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The most physical defansman in the draft, that was arguably the best Norway player. I will not surprise if he's gone before we pick
I appreciate how he plays. I wouldn’t pick him at 15.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I liked Lian Bichsel enough to consider him at 15. I think Solberg is at least as good.
Have you seen what Bichsel has done since that draft in the SHL? Not too inspiring.

Now we want to take the smaller version of Bichsel in a loaded defenseman draft?

You guys love this profile every year and I don’t get it. I will be pretty pissed if that’s the pick at 15.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
that Chicago trade is just bizarre

can't remember ever seeing a swap like that before the draft before

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Have you seen what Bichsel has done since that draft in the SHL? Not too inspiring.

Now we want to take the smaller version of Bichsel in a loaded defenseman draft?

You guys love this profile every year and I don’t get it. I will be pretty pissed if that’s the pick at 15.
I was pissed when we took Wallinder and Danielson, but they both seems like very good pics, just trust what Yzerman does, my guess

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
He was so unimpressive that the Caps traded him for freakin' eRat the next season. He's a complete anomaly, since he plays better at the NHL level than all levels below. One of the reasons why he got traded was because he never skated hard, and there were doubts he can skate at the NHL level and keep up. I think he was totally sandbagging, lol. I suppose he could have been nursing an injury.
I don't remember hearing anything like this about forsberg, but you may very well be right. I do remember most expected him to go a little higher in the draft. However, that trade for erat was universally paned at the time and definitely hasn't aged any better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad