GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
For you Hage guys, my understanding is he'll be there in the late 1st or early 2nd. May has well trade down? Hage won't even sniff the NHL for at least 3 years, he needs lots of development.

If Sennecke is available you HAVE to take him. If not, MBN is the second choice. Greentree is probably your third choice.

Reactions: lilidk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But why? He’s like a smaller, worse version of Kent Johnson.

Hage produced just as much. Even better at crunch time to drag his team into the playoffs. He’s also bigger, faster, and doesn’t have the baggage.

I'm not sure Kent Johnson is a negative comparison there.

You like Hage, that's fine, I think Connelly has higher upside and room for physical growth. You want to point towards Hage's getting into the playoffs, I can point towards Connelly's Hlinka and WJAC runs where he put up nearly 2 ppg in both tournaments.

Reactions: Astyanax

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
For you Hage guys, my understanding is he'll be there in the late 1st or early 2nd. May has well trade down? Hage won't even sniff the NHL for at least 3 years, he needs lots of development.

If Sennecke is available you HAVE to take him. If not, MBN is the second choice. Greentree is probably your third choice.
Trade down and get extra second is the best choice, there are plenty in the second that as good as late first , but if you believe his sealing is higher then Danielson, you take him, give him 2-3 years to develop, improve his first step.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Nate Danielson was supposed to be there in the late 1st and went 9th overall. Hage finished the season incredibly strong after battling a lot of adversity early. He’s a guy I don’t expect to be there past 16.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Nate Danielson was supposed to be there in the late 1st and went 9th overall. Hage finished the season incredibly strong after battling a lot of adversity early. He’s a guy I don’t expect to be there past 16.

Unless everyone is completely off, you're going to see 7-8 D go in the first 16. There's just not room for all of these offensive guys to go in the top 16.

And I don't remember any mock drafts at the end of last year having Danielson late first. In fact, I think Pronman had him to the Wings in his last one.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Unless everyone is completely off, you're going to see 7-8 D go in the first 16. There's just not room for all of these offensive guys to go in the top 16.

And I don't remember any mock drafts at the end of last year having Danielson late first. In fact, I think Pronman had him to the Wings in his last one.

Pronman was the only one that had Danielson to the Wings. Most others had him late 1st.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Pronman was the only one that had Danielson to the Wings. Most others had him late 1st.

This isn't really worth this big of a digression but this made me curious so I just did a quick search- Chris Peters had him going #11, Sporting News #14, Wheeler #11, NHL.com #11 and 14 ... the only outlier I saw was ESPN which didn't even have him in the first round (it was one messed up mock..it had Barlow going #5).

Edit- McKenzie's final list had him at #16.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Trade down and get extra second is the best choice, there are plenty in the second that as good as late first , but if you believe his sealing is higher then Danielson, you take him, give him 2-3 years to develop, improve his first step.

And what do you think Draper is gonna do with an extra second? Is there another Cleveland in this draft?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
This isn't really worth this big of a digression but this made me curious so I just did a quick search- Chris Peters had him going #11, Sporting News #14, Wheeler #11, NHL.com #11 and 14 ... the only outlier I saw was ESPN which didn't even have him in the first round (it was one messed up mock..it had Barlow going #5).

Edit- McKenzie's final list had him at #16.

I stand corrected. Just saw that the only outlet ranking him so low was elite prospects.

Still, I don’t think Hage lasts long after Detroit’s pick if he’s still there.

Reactions: schuelma24

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
But why? He’s like a smaller, worse version of Kent Johnson.

Hage produced just as much. Even better at crunch time to drag his team into the playoffs. He’s also bigger, faster, and doesn’t have the 3baggage.
I'm not pro connelly and he may be worse, but E P has him and kent listed at the same size currently. Not sure what happened for Kent this year, but 40 points in the NHL last year at 20 is pretty good. Can we do better maybe,? Or we just don't like him as an organization, ok again, maybe? And again I'm not advocating for anyone, but a 40 pt 20 year old NHLer at 15 would be great.

Reactions: wings95

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

No man, 18 players are going 1-14

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
And what do you think Draper is gonna do with an extra second? Is there another Cleveland in this draft?
only-one-there-can-be-only-one.gif

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The scouting report I listened to on Locked on Red Wings podcast (they had a scout on the episode) said HAGE is a skilled player, but not very good defensively. He has speed, but not a very good [dynamic] skater that hurts him defensively. They said, under no uncertain terms, HAGE is not a Yzerman -type pick.

There's a reason why he's projected to go late 1st, early 2nd. Of course it only takes one GM/Scout to select him sooner.

That being said, the only player I'd be pissed about select #15 is Eiserman. I want MBN, Sennecke, Greentree.

I don't know much about Catton, but what we are seeing about these recent playoffs now and in the past few years is size and grit MAJORLY matters! Wings are still undersized and soft, imo. They need to get bigger and tougher, hence MBN, Greentree, Sennecke (doubtful he'll be available).

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'd rather use that #15 to select a mean bottom 6 niche SOB that can be used up and down the lineup rather than the next powder puff scoring tweener.

You can shoot for the moon on those undersized soft scoring wingers with the later picks. E.g., Debrincat, Berggren.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The scouting report I listened to on Locked on Red Wings podcast (they had a scout on the episode) said HAGE is a skilled player, but not very good defensively. He has speed, but not a very good [dynamic] skater that hurts him defensively. They said, under no uncertain terms, HAGE is not a Yzerman -type pick.

There's a reason why he's projected to go late 1st, early 2nd. Of course it only takes one GM/Scout to select him sooner.

That being said, the only player I'd be pissed about select #15 is Eiserman. I want MBN, Sennecke, Greentree.

I don't know much about Catton, but what we are seeing about these recent playoffs now and in the past few years is size and grit MAJORLY matters! Wings are still undersized and soft, imo. They need to get bigger and tougher, hence MBN, Greentree, Sennecke (doubtful he'll be available).
Last draft ASP was one of my guys at 9 , but I didn't believe Yzerman will take undersize defansman and I was expecting Barlow at 17. Who knows what Yzerman has in his mind.
Next time you listen Scouch, ask him about Greentree, also not very high on him .
The biggest reason I want Hage it's because he processes game on high level and everything else he could learn, a lot depends on his personality and interviews.

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
I'd rather use that #15 to select a mean bottom 6 niche SOB that can be used up and down the lineup rather than the next powder puff scoring tweener.

You can shoot for the moon on those undersized soft scoring wingers with the later picks. E.g., Debrincat, Berggren.
weird calling cat soft he fights more than seider

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Last draft ASP was one of my guys at 9 , but I didn't believe Yzerman will take undersize defansman and I was expecting Barlow at 17. Who knows what Yzerman has in his mind.
Next time you listen Scouch, ask him about Greentree, also not very high on him .
The biggest reason I want Hage it's because he processes game on high level and everything else he could learn, a lot depends on his personality and interviews.

I think the only reason why Yzerman selected ASP is because he had 2 first round picks. If he only had the 17th pick, I doubt he selects ASP. He might have very well went after your Barlow guy.

I doubt Yzerman selects Cossa if he didn't have 2 first round picks in that draft either.

Yzerman has a pattern and template when it comes to drafting, and for the type of players he likes. I feel like he doesn't deviate from his template unless he has extra picks to burn.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
weird calling cat soft he fights more than seider

We watching the same Debricat that loses puck battles and is useless when he isn't scoring? 22 year old Raymond is a tougher player to play against than 'in-his-prime' furry kitten.

Wings need scorers, but they def exceeded their quota of softies last season with Debrincat, Sprong, Kane, now Berggren. Glad some of those guys will be gone, but they will replaced by more soft players such as Berggren.

They need toughness. Debricat is here to stay with that contract, but he maxes out what Wings can afford with softness on the roster. Esp with Berggren well on his way (Unless Yzerman can trade Berggren to add much needed toughness).

2024 Wings would have gotten murdered in the Playoffs. Probably better they didn't make it and saved them from no only the embarrassment, but major injuries to our up and coming stars.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Locked on has not impressed me with their quality or accuracy.

That said, Hage isn’t very good defensively which is why I think he’ll be a better winger at the pro level. Love the skill and speed combo. Great shot. Apparently a solid guy and leader. He’s also not afraid of getting his nose dirty. Started out the year poor after losing his father and returning from shoulder surgery.

I still prefer MBN but Hage intrigues me the more I watch his reels and read his scouting reports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad