GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Locked on has not impressed me with their quality or accuracy.

That said, Hage isn’t very good defensively which is why I think he’ll be a better winger at the pro level. Love the skill and speed combo. Great shot. Apparently a solid guy and leader. He’s also not afraid of getting his nose dirty. Started out the year poor after losing his father and returning from shoulder surgery.

I still prefer MBN but Hage intrigues me the more I watch his reels and read his scouting reports.

The guys on Locked On are cackling parrots who show bias. But they invite scouts from these ranking sites that people on HF boards love to source. So you are hearing from the mouth of these scouts how they come to their conclusion on their respective mock drafts, the same mock drafts people here use as a end-all, be-all sources.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Giving Draper another second round pick is just another opportunity to say "well hindsight is 20/20"
Some of his picks don't even require hindsight.

That said, Hage isn’t very good defensively which is why I think he’ll be a better winger at the pro level. Love the skill and speed combo. Great shot. Apparently a solid guy and leader. He’s also not afraid of getting his nose dirty. Started out the year poor after losing his father and returning from shoulder surgery.

I still prefer MBN but Hage intrigues me the more I watch his reels and read his scouting reports.
Defense is easier to teach than skill and speed. Plus the winger picked in this draft is more than likely going to play with Danielson, who's like LFG V2.0. I'm not concerned about the defensive end.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Some of his picks don't even require hindsight.

Defense is easier to teach than skill and speed. Plus the winger picked in this draft is more than likely going to play with Danielson, who's like LFG V2.0. I'm not concerned about the defensive end.

Glendening with hands.

The guys on Locked On are cackling parrots who show bias. But they invite scouts from these ranking sites that people on HF boards love to source. So you are hearing from the mouth of these scouts how they come to their conclusion on their respective mock drafts, the same mock drafts people here use as a end-all, be-all sources.

Try this.

NHL draft class. USHL prospects.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But why? He’s like a smaller, worse version of Kent Johnson.

Hage produced just as much. Even better at crunch time to drag his team into the playoffs. He’s also bigger, faster, and doesn’t have the baggage.
One of the best pure talents in this draft.

Go watch some of the clips from anytime he has put on a US jersey. He makes a ton of very high level plays.

Obviously you have to vet some of the other stuff, but the talent is there in spades.

Still time to join the correct bandwagon.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
One of the best pure talents in this draft.

Go watch some of the clips from anytime he has put on a US jersey. He makes a ton of very high level plays.

Obviously you have to vet some of the other stuff, but the talent is there in spades.

Still time to join the correct bandwagon.

I’ve watched Connelly. Flashy? Yes. I don’t equate flashiness with talent. Josh Ho-Sang was a “talented’ flashy guy. Magnus Paajarvi was the same. There’s a lot more to talent than toe drags and putting the puck between your own legs to make a move.

Maybe Connelly’s flash translates up but what does he realistically become? He’s less than 160 NOW. Shorter than 6’0” now. And like I said, I think he’s a worse Kent Johnson comparable who is struggling at the NHL level.

Reactions: DoMakc

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’ve watched Connelly. Flashy? Yes. I don’t equate flashiness with talent. Josh Ho-Sang was a “talented’ flashy guy. Magnus Paajarvi was the same. There’s a lot more to talent than toe drags and putting the puck between your own legs to make a move.

Maybe Connelly’s flash translates up but what does he realistically become? He’s less than 160 NOW. Shorter than 6’0” now. And like I said, I think he’s a worse Kent Johnson comparable who is struggling at the NHL level.
I don’t think he’s just flashy I think he’s a very good creator who sees the ice very well. You don’t produce assists like he has everywhere he’s ever played with just toe drags. I would project him to be a ++ level playmaker if he reaches his potential.

The weight is somewhat concerning but could also be scary to see what he could look like with 20-30 more pounds on him.

I’ve never seen anywhere list him as under 6 foot.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Draft is in just one month and probably next game prospects camp and tournament

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the only reason why Yzerman selected ASP is because he had 2 first round picks. If he only had the 17th pick, I doubt he selects ASP. He might have very well went after your Barlow guy.

I doubt Yzerman selects Cossa if he didn't have 2 first round picks in that draft either.

Yzerman has a pattern and template when it comes to drafting, and for the type of players he likes. I feel like he doesn't deviate from his template unless he has extra picks to burn.
Don't really agree. There is some things he clearly likes (compete, high character guys, hockey IQ), but I think there are some attempts to put square pegs into round holes to make the "template" fit.

Reactions: Frk It

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Don't really agree. There is some things he clearly likes (compete, high character guys, hockey IQ), but I think there are some attempts to put square pegs into round holes to make the "template" fit.

You forgot 2-way (forwards) and good skaters.

Yzerman's checklist for 1st pick:

High Character
Compete
2-way
Skating
Hockey IQ

Some of the guys suggested in this thread doesn't fit the above criteria. Hence, Yzerman's template/check-list.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You forgot 2-way (forwards) and good skaters.

Yzerman's checklist for 1st pick:

High Character
Compete
2-way
Skating
Hockey IQ

Some of the guys suggested in this thread doesn't fit the above criteria. Hence, Yzerman's template/check-list.
Most of our previous picks don't quite fit that template either. Again, unless you start describing Raymond as a competitive 2-way forward just to squeeze him into that box. I mean I think most teams would love to draft players who check all those boxes, really not sure that's an Yzerman specific desire.

Reactions: Frk It

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Most of our previous picks don't quite fit that template either. Again, unless you start describing Raymond as a competitive 2-way forward just to squeeze him into that box. I mean I think most teams would love to draft players who check all those boxes, really not sure that's an Yzerman specific desire.

Danielson fit all those boxes! Kasper's offense is his weakness, but he is all those boxes. Not as good of skater as Nate, but still a + quality.

What 1st forward pick did Yzerman take that doesn't fit that template?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Danielson fit all those boxes! Kasper's offense is his weakness, but he is all those boxes. Not as good of skater as Nate, but still a + quality.

What 1st forward pick did Yzerman take that doesn't fit that template?
Raymond?

Again, just because a few guys fit doesn't make it a template.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don’t think he’s just flashy I think he’s a very good creator who sees the ice very well. You don’t produce assists like he has everywhere he’s ever played with just toe drags. I would project him to be a ++ level playmaker if he reaches his potential.

The weight is somewhat concerning but could also be scary to see what he could look like with 20-30 more pounds on him.

I’ve never seen anywhere list him as under 6 foot.

this is what I'm thinking. The talent is there and he's upped his game in tournaments, so he seems to have the ability/willingness to find another gear. He wouldn't be the first prospect needing to add some weight to go pro.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Template or not, Connelly needs to be on a team with established talent and strong management/coaching that can keep his ass straight.

I don't think DBoss/Ray/Cat/Lalonde/Tanguay are the right babysitters for him, and quite frankly I wouldn't wish it on DBoss. This team is still in the building phase, and you don't build with a player like Connelly. I think that's why there's a lot of emphasis on character, more so than when Stevie was in Tampa where he already had future HOFers Hedman and Stamkos along with Lecavalier and MSL.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Template or not, Connelly needs to be on a team with established talent and strong management/coaching that can keep his ass straight.

I don't think DBoss/Ray/Cat/Lalonde/Tanguay are the right babysitters for him, and quite frankly I wouldn't wish it on DBoss. This team is still in the building phase, and you don't build with a player like Connelly. I think that's why there's a lot of emphasis on character, more so than when Stevie was in Tampa where he already had future HOFers Hedman and Stamkos along with Lecavalier and MSL.
You mean we need to get guy and then hire Tortorella for him?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Raymond:

High Character ✓
Compete ✓
2-way ✓
Skating ✓
Hockey IQ ✓

Seems to fit that mold to me. What was his weakness? Speed? But he was always a dynamic skater.
Skill and hockey IQ were the main draws with him. Like I said, you can make it seem like Yzerman has a type if you ignore all the examples where he didn’t follow that type when drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad