Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's better than being -14. I brought it up as info to fellow readers, not to be necessarily dissected like this. Who gives a shit about Galchenyuk these days or what he accomplished early on? I sure as hell don't.

It would be a disaster at -14, because only very bad players would get stats like those while being played in isolation.

+/- is an extremely contextual stat.

Don't need to act so insecure, I'm not putting down Demidov, I'm a huge fan of his, but he is being played in isolation. Rotenberg often uses the 3rd line as exploitation, which is fine for a rookie and he's been more than up to the task.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It would be a disaster at -14, because only very bad players would get stats like those while being played in isolation.

+/- is an extremely contextual stat.

Don't need to act so insecure, I'm not putting down Demidov, I'm a huge fan of his, but he is being played in isolation. Rotenberg often uses the 3rd line as exploitation, which is fine for a rookie and he's been more than up to the task.
Insecure sir I am not. I just didn't expect a simple promising stat on Demidov to be dissected like this.
All I was saying was that he is +14 which is a good thing.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Don’t remember the last time we had that caliber of prospect in the pipeline. Caufield maybe?

Demidov is a clear tier above Caufield as a prospect.

He’s in superstar potential group. Caufield is able to have great moments and be the best player in a game from time to time, Demidov will have the ability to dictate the entire pace of the game.

Patrick Kane / Nik Kucherov stuff.

Jul 6, 2016
Not luck, competent...finally. Kent Hughes, merci
No way they could forecast that Hutson would be available at #62 and Fowler in the 3rd round when 5 other goalies were selected ahead of him. Same with Hage who should had been top-15. Even Demidov should had been top three, no later. Yes, they were lucky. Bruins used to be lucky too with Bergeron, Marchand and Pastrnak. TB too with Kucherov and Point…

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Best prospect since Carey Price in term of pure talent, 100%.

Him and Michael Hage will transform the forward group, for sure.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Ok so generational?

No just a star, we haven't had a star forward since....Stephane Richer?

It's like a FLYING UNICORN from cocopuff island. The last forwards stars playing hockey in the provinces are Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg, that tells you how long freaking ago that was.

Ok Damphousse blah blah blah
Turgeon blah blah blah
Boring.

What if Koivu blah blah blah
Kovalev for 1 season blah blah blah
Dreams.

Reactions: Leto

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm well aware of that, it doesn't change the fact +14 doesn't mean much when we know Rotenberg isolates him as much as possible. The compete and skills are self-evident, but the +14 means nothing.

Plus/Minus almost always effectively means nothing, which is why I posted about what his impact is defensively and it's very encouraging for a skilled offensive prospect like himself.

Demidov conspired to get drafted by the Habs.

And boy are were happy!

It does seem like it was his preferred destination, and just like anyone, I have no problem with them doing that in the pre-draft process.

f*** the Gauthier's and McGroarty's of the world.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Everything I've seen of Demidov, which isn't very much, points to him being future great
Wait until he see him on the Habs, he's going to be a bust then. :sarcasm:

And it's not even a joke, SKA plays better collectively than the Habs do.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
What toxic situation ? What did the team do to Russians that would be qualified as toxic and which players were purged after February 2022 ? Romanov in the summer ? They've drafted 4 Russians since btw.
A month before the Slafkovsky draft, Russian media reported that Philadelphia and Montreal would not be taking Russians in the upcoming draft.

The report was correct, and neither team took any Russians. The Habs also traded the only Russian player off their roster on the same day.

They also fired their Russian scout and had zero presence in Russia.

Just last year, the Habs were the first team in forever to not have any Russians on their NHL or AHL roster.

I’m sure the situation amongst the players wasn’t toxic towards Russians, but there weren’t any Russians to be toxic too. Management clearly had a moral stance against Russian players at the time, and by the time Michkov came around the damage was already done regarding Montreal’s image in Russia.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A month before the Slafkovsky draft, Russian media reported that Philadelphia and Montreal would not be taking Russians in the upcoming draft.

The report was correct, and neither team took any Russians. The Habs also traded the only Russian player off their roster on the same day.

They also fired their Russian scout and had zero presence in Russia.

Just last year, the Habs were the first team in forever to not have any Russians on their NHL or AHL roster.

I’m sure the situation amongst the players wasn’t toxic towards Russians, but there weren’t any Russians to be toxic too. Management clearly had a moral stance against Russian players at the time, and by the time Michkov came around the damage was already done regarding Montreal’s image in Russia.

They traded Romanov because we were able to get Dach for him.

For a while we had no Swedish players on the team. It's just how the cookie crumbled.

I suspect we passed on Michkov because Bobrov had inside information about his attitude. We'll see what becomes of him. I'll be pissed if Michkov ends up becoming a wizard and we were deprived of seeing him play with Demidov and Hutson, plus Suzuki and Caufield in spots. But both Michkov and Reinbacher have a lot of road ahead.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The question is this...to who the f*** will Demidov be on par with on this team so that they'd be able to follow his vision? Who scores on this team apart from Caufield?

Chances are if we don't add to it. we will think Demidov is a dud in the NHL 'cause he gets no point when he actually nobody will be able to complete his plays...

If only we could have drafted a talented scorer...but they are not available at the draft we pick....

Last edited:

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
The question is this...to who the f*** will Demidov be on par with on this team so that they'd be able to follow his vision? Who scores on this team apart from Caufield?

Chances are if we don't add to it. we will think Demidov is a dud in the NHL 'cause he gets no point when he actually nobody will be able to complete his plays...
Offensively elite player always find way to participate in the offense of their team and produce. He will make the average player he plays with produce. And we don’t know with whom he may play, he will be paired with Caufield and Suzuki, or Dach and Laine. Both are more than enough for any elite player to complete their play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad