Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
He’s still Russian. I think they just love Sennecke and his profile. I’m glad they do, BTW. We desperately need a player like Demidov. Hopefully he’ll live up to the hype.
Im sure they loved Sennecke alot of teams did but they simply do not pick from Russia look at it if they did its probably later picks Mintyukov was the exeption because he was already playing in NA im sure they would of picked Levshunov ahead of Sennecke this year for the same reason and also need RD

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
No way for us to know if he’s not playing because of « SKA treatment » or if he’s still injured right?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
From The Hockey News a few months ago:

“Five years ago, I would have said not at all,’ Ducks Assistant General Manager and Director of Amateur Scouting Martin Madden stated when asked about the comfort level of the team selecting Russian players in the draft. ‘But we did have to go through a few drafts where we basically drafted off of video ninety-five percent. You get one live look at a player and you still have to assess off of 10, 20, 25 live video viewings. By now, we are comfortable with the process."

The Ducks like big players, period, probably more than they "dislike" Russians playing in Russia. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Im sure they loved Sennecke alot of teams did but they simply do not pick from Russia look at it if they did its probably later picks Mintyukov was the exeption because he was already playing in NA im sure they would of picked Levshunov ahead of Sennecke this year for the same reason and also need RD

From The Hockey News a few months ago:

“Five years ago, I would have said not at all,’ Ducks Assistant General Manager and Director of Amateur Scouting Martin Madden stated when asked about the comfort level of the team selecting Russian players in the draft. ‘But we did have to go through a few drafts where we basically drafted off of video ninety-five percent. You get one live look at a player and you still have to assess off of 10, 20, 25 live video viewings. By now, we are comfortable with the process."

The Ducks like big players, period, probably more than they "dislike" Russians playing in Russia. But I could be wrong.

As alluded to in The Hockey News article I think it’s more of a factor of teams having scouts getting to see players play live instead of watching on video, especially when picking high.

I think it helped Montreal that Bobrov was able to get over to Russia to get to see Demidov play. I’m not sure other teams had that luxury.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

He didn’t even get in to play the scrimmage?
That’s it! Bring him home
74615c72cdb521769a2064c11e541d22.gif

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
As alluded to in The Hockey News article I think it’s more of a factor of teams having scouts getting to see players play live instead of watching on video, especially when picking high.

I think it helped Montreal that Bobrov was able to get over to Russia to get to see Demidov play. I’m not sure other teams had that luxury.
100% agree its been said already that scouts prefer to see people live because of the smaller details during the game and they coudlnt do that with Michkov and Demidov

Michkov never drops to 7 if he played in the CHL probably the same with Demidov

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Michkov never drops to 7 if he played in the CHL probably the same with Demidov

Maybe, maybe not. It's not like no one ever saw him play live before, he'd been on the radar of NHL teams for a while. The top 4 picks last year were projected 1C's (of varying degree and quality), we drafted a possible top-pairing right D, and he made it clear that he was not going to play for Arizona, and it appears that Arizona wanted a D anyway. And then there were questions regarding his ability to mesh with teammates, his father's "mysterious" death, and his contract with SKA. We'll obviously never know for sure why he fell to 7 but to me, at least, it seems like there were a multitude of factors at play. Same with Demidov, just fewer (Chicago, like us, seems to have wanted a potential top-pairing right D, Columbus wanted a big, strong 2C to go with Fantili at 1C, and Anaheim is just . . . Anaheim, they make weird picks at times).

Last edited:
Reactions: Chr1s97 and bopeep

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Maybe, maybe not. It's not like no one ever saw him play live before, he'd been on the radar of NHL teams for a while. The top 4 picks last year were projected 1C's (of varying degree and quality), we drafted a possible top-pairing right D, and he made it clear that he was not going to play for Arizona, and it appears that Arizona wanted a D anyway. And then there were questions regarding his ability to mesh with teammates, his father's "mysterious" death, and his contract with SKA. We'll obviously never know for sure why he fell to 7 but to me, at least, it seems like there were a multitude of factors at play. Same with Demidov, just fewer (Chicago, like us, seems to have wanted a potential top-pairing right D, Columbus wanted a big, strong 2C to go with Fantili at 1C, and Anaheim is just . . . Anaheim, they make weird picks at times).
Anaheim gambled on Sennecke, if everything goes right, could be a 6'4 highlight reel machine. They already have a nice prospect pool, not that crazy to swing for the fences. If Demidov was gone at 5 and Sennecke was available and the Habs selected him, I would've been pretty excited with the pick.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
People say MHL is a bad league, but when you combined the stats of 15-16 years old season of Michkov and Demidov:

After 69 games, 29 goals, 56 assists, 85 pts, 1,23ppg for Ivan Demidov.

After 84 games, 68 goals, 39 assists, 107 pts, 1,27ppg for Matvei Michkov.

Demidov at 17 years old at MHL can't be compared to Michkov, because Michkov have been in KHL. But 2ppg in 30 games and 2,5ppg in his 19 last games, put a sequence of 3ppg in 7 games aswell, that's a huge step for his 15-16 years old season.

So yeah, MHL isn't bad like people think.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
People say MHL is a bad league, but when you combined the stats of 15-16 years old season of Michkov and Demidov:

After 69 games, 29 goals, 56 assists, 85 pts, 1,23ppg for Ivan Demidov.

After 84 games, 68 goals, 39 assists, 107 pts, 1,27ppg for Matvei Michkov.

Demidov at 17 years old at MHL can't be compared to Michkov, because Michkov have been in KHL. But 2ppg in 30 games and 2,5ppg in his 19 last games, put a sequence of 3ppg in 7 games aswell, that's a huge step for his 15-16 years old season.

So yeah, MHL isn't bad like people think.
The MHL is a bad league the same way the QMJHL is a bad league, but unlike the Q which is trending down, the MHL was trending up since the CHL important draft blocked taking Russians (until 2024 where they reverted that because everyone in hockey seems to think the Ukraine/Russia war isn't a think anymore, but I don't know if any was taken).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad