Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
An exaggeration yes but it's horseshit to say some of our posters don't unfairly focus on his play.
More posters focus on the play of Schief, Connor, and Pionk

I can't think of a single poster that focuses on Ehlers over others. They'll point out his weird plays and giveaways, which are both areas of his game that he needs to clean up

I just think that you're more overly biased towards him (thus the username) than anyone is biased against him

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
More posters focus on the play of Schief, Connor, and Pionk

I can't think of a single poster that focuses on Ehlers over others. They'll point out his weird plays and giveaways, which are both areas of his game that he needs to clean up

I just think that you're more overly biased towards him (thus the username) than anyone is biased against him
Everyone has a favourite player. Buffdog. I do miss that guy.
I can admit my player has flaws and makes mistakes.
We definitely disagree that while some fans have favourites others just like to crap on players that don't fit their mold of style or play.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
27 is worth it, I can't believe the disrespect this guy gets
If signing Ehlers isn't considered worth it, what the heck are we going to spend our cap space on?? Pionk? Iafallo?

We are in a pretty good cap situation I'd be very surprised if Chevy doesn't get him signed to a fair market deal. Higher than we would like probably but that's the way it goes usually.

If we don't give him $64-68M over 8 years someone will give him close to that on a 7 year deal I bet.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If signing Ehlers isn't considered worth it, what the heck are we going to spend our cap space on?? Pionk? Iafallo?

We are in a pretty good cap situation I'd be very surprised if Chevy doesn't get him signed to a fair market deal. Higher than we would like probably but that's the way it goes usually.

If we don't give him $64-68M over 8 years someone will give him close to that on a 7 year deal I bet.
We probably are more short of offensive D than good wingers. We have perfetti, kc, Ehlers. For offensive D we have Pionk and Morrissey. In the wings we have lambert and chis, in the wings for D with offensive instincts are?

Reactions: TS Quint

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed, I'm still in the camp Ehlers ends up being re-signed by the Jets. I'd guess 7 years. Chevy would prefer 5 or 6, Ehlers would prefer 8, but on the open market 7 is max so I think things settle at that length. I'll guess AAV at around $8M.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think that if he was absolutely dead-set against it, Chevy probably wouldn't have made the deal. Last thing you need is to bring in a guy who is absolutely dead set against being here *cough cough Kevin Hayes cough*

He would be poison in the room
I don’t understand the constant Kevin Hayes hate around here. Wasn’t he one of, if not the most productive TDL acquisitions in the league that year? He put up more points than any Jet forward that wasn’t on the first line, that includes Laine, Ehlers AND LITTLE, who only had 2 points in that span.

Then playoffs come and PoMo does what PoMo did while he was here. PoMo would rather lose with his boys than win with someone else. Hayes has his TOI dropped from over 15 min/game to under 12, still keeps pace in points with Little who was getting over 16 min/game and better line mates.

Or are we just mad that Hayes spoke privately to his roommate about his time in Winnipeg then the roommate’s daddy wants to feel like a big shot insider on some obscure podcast and wanted to share the rumors? Which by the way, EVERYONE AGREES WITH WHAT HE SAID. I don’t think Hayes was out of line with anything he did.

People wonder why he didn’t enjoy his time here? He’s in line with a whole bunch of players who felt the same way.

Reactions: Jet

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It's the same old crap. The same line.
EHLERS isn't perfect He does make mistakes and sometimes they are frustrating. He does deserve criticism when deserved. It's also blatantly false to say some of the forum posters who blame him for every failing this team has spread their criticism evenly to other players.
If yu don't see this, perhaps you are one of them.
To why I said the comment, some of the posters for years have begged for him to be traded due to them not valuing what he brings to the team.
Don't expect great trade value from a player you don't respect on your team.
Maybe his value is less than Copp based on your horse blinders.
I think you are making things up. No player on this team has more unwaivering fans than Ehlers.

When it comes to what the Jets do with him, I trust Chevy. Who are the best home grown players Chevy has let walk? Ladd? Overpaid and broken, might be some parallels here. We also may have gotten lucky that Ladd was asking I for an insane contract and Chevy wouldn’t cross that line. Trouba? I don’t think the Rangers are happy with that contract. Copp? LOL, go take a look on the Red Wing board for their feelings about him. Tanev, maybe? But he’s not a core guy. Lots of guys have filled the role of being on Lowry’s wing just fine.

Or Chevy thinks everything is fine and will re sign him, which I’m also good with. I think the main factor will be how the Jets feel about his medical situation.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You think Ehlers' TD value is way below that of Andrew Copp?
A streaky player who is oft injured, loves to give the puck away in high offensive ice and disappears in the playoffs?

Yup. I love Nik but think about what teams are looking for at the TDL.

Everyone has a favourite player. Buffdog. I do miss that guy.
I can admit my player has flaws and makes mistakes.
We definitely disagree that while some fans have favourites others just like to crap on players that don't fit their mold of style or play.
The only players that are mostly protected from undue criticism are those who play near perfect games, and those are very few and far between.

More people shit on 81 and 55 than 27.

Hell, we have Helle haters on here and the guy looks like hes going to win his third vezina this year :P

Moloch

Mar 15, 2024
I think you are making things up. No player on this team has more unwaivering fans than Ehlers.

When it comes to what the Jets do with him, I trust Chevy. Who are the best home grown players Chevy has let walk? Ladd? Overpaid and broken, might be some parallels here. We also may have gotten lucky that Ladd was asking I for an insane contract and Chevy wouldn’t cross that line. Trouba? I don’t think the Rangers are happy with that contract. Copp? LOL, go take a look on the Red Wing board for their feelings about him. Tanev, maybe? But he’s not a core guy. Lots of guys have filled the role of being on Lowry’s wing just fine.

Or Chevy thinks everything is fine and will re sign him, which I’m also good with. I think the main factor will be how the Jets feel about his medical situation.
He's definitely one of the flashier players, same with connor, they both score goals that sometimes make you audibly gasp. It's easy to get fans when that's the sort of game you play. They both make plenty of mistakes but a surprising amount of people don't pick up on those. My girlfriend doesnt care about the jets, or hockey in general.. but she can name two players off the top of her head: ehlers and connor. He's part of the teams identity, thats for sure

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I’m okay with trading Ehlers and Pionk and let Chib/Lambert and Ville take their spots.
Players that only play exceptional well on their contract year are going to back to baseline after a fat contract. Rather trade than let them walk into UFA and compete with other offers

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I’m okay with trading Ehlers and Pionk and let Chib/Lambert and Ville take their spots.
Players that only play exceptional well on their contract year are going to back to baseline after a fat contract. Rather trade than let them walk into UFA and compete with other offers
I don’t know if people should be expecting Heinola to be contributing this year. Isn’t his problem that a pin in his foot has been infected leading to surgery? I’m sure that was painful to begin with, likely hampering his ability to work out in the off season. Now that they had to cut his ankle open and he needs to recover. I seriously doubt he’s working his legs at this point. All of this for a guy who has never proved to be a NHL player? I’m not throwing Pionk, a right handed shot, away for that mystery box.

Reactions: tarozi and Jet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A streaky player who is oft injured, loves to give the puck away in high offensive ice and disappears in the playoffs?

Yup. I love Nik but think about what teams are looking for at the TDL.

More people shit on 81 and 55 than 27.

Even considering all of his flaws and what teams are looking for at the TD, Ehlers is still worth far more than Copp. They are on entirely different levels.

People don't shit on 81 and shit on 55 so much as they shit on the combination of 81 & 55.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd say to this that of the two Pionk is performing way above their career norms. Ehlers has had numerous years of great ay whereas Pionk was one - his previous contract years at.

Both will be long term deals and likely suck towards the back end, but it is what it is with ufa deals for players in their late 20s early 30s

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don’t know if people should be expecting Heinola to be contributing this year. Isn’t his problem that a pin in his foot has been infected leading to surgery? I’m sure that was painful to begin with, likely hampering his ability to work out in the off season. Now that they had to cut his ankle open and he needs to recover. I seriously doubt he’s working his legs at this point. All of this for a guy who has never proved to be a NHL player? I’m not throwing Pionk, a right handed shot, away for that mystery box.
Especially with the way he's playing. I know blah blah blah contract year but honestly if Neal can keep this level of play up he's a great top 4 guy. With Samberg and their history together I think they could really grow into a great 2nd pair

Even considering all of his flaws and what teams are looking for at the TD, Ehlers is still worth far more than Copp. They are on entirely different levels.

People don't shit on 81 and shit on 55 so much as they shit on the combination of 81 & 55.
I disagree.

If I'm a team looking for a reliable forward to play up and down the lineup and play the style needed for playoff hockey - Copp is likely going to fit the bill rather than a guy with risk in his game that doesn't counter it with offensive production. Ehlers gets pushed around a lot in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad