Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Perfetti didn't go ice cold until after Monohan was brought in though. I think the org would have gone for him regardless and imo are likely going to go for a C again this year. They can't trust Namestnikov on defensive draws even this early in the season.
Cole's struggles started with a pointless game on Jan 11. He had one assit in 7 games before the Jets traded for Monahan on Feb 2

The weirdest part is he was on a tear going into his slump

Edit: you're likely right about them acquiring monahan anyway, and hopefully you're wrong about another rental centre this season lol

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Cole's struggles started with a pointless game on Jan 11. He had one assit in 7 games before the Jets traded for Monahan on Feb 2

The weirdest part is he was on a tear going into his slump

Edit: you're likely right about them acquiring monahan anyway, and hopefully you're wrong about another rental centre this season lol
Yeah, hope they don’t trade another 1st, but I can honestly see Chevy having interest in Brock Nelson. That pushes Namestnikov down to the 4th and both Kupari and Gus to the press box.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's true. You could possibly get by for a few years bringing one or two a year onto the team on the bottom lines, and it could possibly work while they are on ELC's and bridges.

Moving a winger for a top 4RHD of the same age wouldn't be a bad thing either. A longterm 2C is a need as well, but it would also be good to see if one of Lambert, Yager, or possibly Lucius could be the one too.

There's also a possibility that if we re-sign guys like Connor and Ehlers, and don't move the prospects, (and the prospects become quality NHLrs), that they'd have a while until most of those guys are on their 3rd contracts. Yager and Barlow I think are 2 years away from starting, so after ELC's, and possible bridges, those guys may not need their expensive contracts until guys like Ehlers and Connor are near the end of theirs.

I think just personally I'd be more ok if they decided to move a prospect or a 1st for either a longterm piece, or as an asset allocation move to add say a comparable aged RHD. But I'd like to see if one of the centres we have in the system could also be that longterm piece because we'd have them cost controlled for quite a few years if so.

id rank fwd prospects with higher % of becoming an NHL C in the next couple years lower on our trade-cost list. so lambert, yaeger, lucius, and barlow and Chirbrikov probably in that order?

to your 3rd paragraph-even 2 years from now, all of connor, ehlers, vilardi and perfetti will just be starting their next deals, unless they're short term i still don't see the spots in the top-6 Wing at least for the next ~4-5ish years?

for sure they can play bottom-6 though. i dont know if that's the best use of the tier of prospect or caliber of asset.... ie: is having a 1st round caliber prospect (or trade chip) better served to move to get help higher up the line-up (lets say during that 4-5 year range i brought up) vs playing bottom-6 :dunno:. i also am a bit wary about the fit of high caliber or offensive first 1st rd prospect on the Lowry line.

Reactions: Huffer

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
id rank fwd prospects with higher % of becoming an NHL C in the next couple years lower on our trade-cost list. so lambert, yaeger, lucius, and barlow and Chirbrikov probably in that order?

to your 3rd paragraph-even 2 years from now, all of connor, ehlers, vilardi and perfetti will just be starting their next deals, unless they're short term i still don't see the spots in the top-6 Wing at least for the next ~4-5ish years?

for sure they can play bottom-6 though. i dont know if that's the best use of the tier of prospect or caliber of asset.... ie: is having a 1st round caliber prospect (or trade chip) better served to move to get help higher up the line-up (lets say during that 4-5 year range i brought up) vs playing bottom-6 :dunno:. i also am a bit wary about the fit of high caliber or offensive first 1st rd prospect on the Lowry line.
Totally agree with what you're saying. That's what makes it so interesting and challenging. :)

If we imagine say Lambert grabbing the 2C spot and re-signing Ehlers and Connor, that leaves no room really (unless they say trade Vilardi) in the top 6 for sure. Agree that playing offensive 1st guys with Lowry isn't the way to go either. But if they deal a significant prospect or pick at the TD and then don't re-sign either or both of Ehlers and Connor, it makes the lack of upcoming depth an issue IMO as well.

I know it's not the meat of the current discussion, and while I don't really want to even "think" of the Jets without Lowry right now, there is that angle as well I think if you were the GM and trying to think out to the future (while trying to win as well). I don't see a situation where the team doesn't do everything to re-sign him as well, but we'll have to consider he'll be 33 when that new deal starts. Something to think about is how long will Lowry be able to play like current Lowry? IOW, tough and physical and big minutes against the other teams best (like basically our 2nd line as per minutes)? Crazy out there idea, but maybe when Lowry's in his mid 30's, and the Jets have 2 more centres develop (lets say Lambert and Yager) that they could run those lines as the top 3 and play Lowry's line less minutes? Or maybe you try Lowry on the wing as he ages? (not saying they should or that's it's a possibility, just like doing the thought experiment) ;). (Can you tell I really don't want to trade our centre prospects lol?)

Nothing against Barlow (he's just the most obvious because he's a winger), but if say we had Oliver Bonk in the system instead at RHD (just picked him being a RHD drafted very close after), that would balance things out a bit for sure. Not saying they should have done that, just using it as an example.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Totally agree with what you're saying. That's what makes it so interesting and challenging. :)

If we imagine say Lambert grabbing the 2C spot and re-signing Ehlers and Connor, that leaves no room really (unless they say trade Vilardi) in the top 6 for sure. Agree that playing offensive 1st guys with Lowry isn't the way to go either. But if they deal a significant prospect or pick at the TD and then don't re-sign either or both of Ehlers and Connor, it makes the lack of upcoming depth an issue IMO as well.

I know it's not the meat of the current discussion, and while I don't really want to even "think" of the Jets without Lowry right now, there is that angle as well I think if you were the GM and trying to think out to the future (while trying to win as well). I don't see a situation where the team doesn't do everything to re-sign him as well, but we'll have to consider he'll be 33 when that new deal starts. Something to think about is how long will Lowry be able to play like current Lowry? IOW, tough and physical and big minutes against the other teams best (like basically our 2nd line as per minutes)? Crazy out there idea, but maybe when Lowry's in his mid 30's, and the Jets have 2 more centres develop (lets say Lambert and Yager) that they could run those lines as the top 3 and play Lowry's line less minutes? Or maybe you try Lowry on the wing as he ages? (not saying they should or that's it's a possibility, just like doing the thought experiment) ;). (Can you tell I really don't want to trade our centre prospects lol?)

Nothing against Barlow (he's just the most obvious because he's a winger), but if say we had Oliver Bonk in the system instead at RHD (just picked him being a RHD drafted very close after), that would balance things out a bit for sure. Not saying they should have done that, just using it as an example.

Assuming we keep Gabe and KC, unless the Jets change how they intend to deploy over the next few years there won't be spots for a good many of our winger prospects.

I can easy see Barlow packaged with say Jeinola to get a piece the team needs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's true. You could possibly get by for a few years bringing one or two a year onto the team on the bottom lines, and it could possibly work while they are on ELC's and bridges.

Moving a winger for a top 4RHD of the same age wouldn't be a bad thing either. A longterm 2C is a need as well, but it would also be good to see if one of Lambert, Yager, or possibly Lucius could be the one too.

There's also a possibility that if we re-sign guys like Connor and Ehlers, and don't move the prospects, (and the prospects become quality NHLrs), that they'd have a while until most of those guys are on their 3rd contracts. Yager and Barlow I think are 2 years away from starting, so after ELC's, and possible bridges, those guys may not need their expensive contracts until guys like Ehlers and Connor are near the end of theirs.

I think just personally I'd be more ok if they decided to move a prospect or a 1st for either a longterm piece, or as an asset allocation move to add say a comparable aged RHD. But I'd like to see if one of the centres we have in the system could also be that longterm piece because we'd have them cost controlled for quite a few years if so.

Our D corps is getting crowded. We have 9 now counting Heinola. As soon as he is ready we can assume Coghlan will be waived but that still leaves 8. We will have some coming up from the system within a year.

We have DeMelo signed for 3 more years after this one. If Pionk keeps playing like he has so far you have to think he will be extended. We have Miller for another year and he is more than earning his contract so far. There doesn't appear to be any vacancy except for injury replacement.

I've been wanting an upgrade at top 2 RHD for years. If Pionk's recent performance turns out to be another contract year boost I will be back on that bandwagon. But if he is 4 real we don't really need that anymore.

The left side is already 5 deep, assuming that Heinola is at least a viable NHL player. And it is certainly strong at the top with Morrissey and Samberg.

There are still a couple of 'ifs', but as it looks right now our problem isn't going to be trading for a D upgrade. It is going to be finding room for the prospects as they develop.

Up front, Namestnikov is doing a fine job as a 2C placeholder. Long term that need still exists but the urgency is removed, at least as long as Names can keep it up. With 3 promising candidates for the job, surely 1 of them will pan out. We also have a few promising prospects on the wings.

We have several F in their pending UFA years. There are going to be some tough decisions on who to keep and who to walk away from. Again, it is hard to see the need to trade anyone other than not wanting to see good players walk to UFA.

6-0 start is creating optimism, but Jets are in very good shape both short and long term. If this pans out the way it is looking right now Chevy has done an absolutely brilliant job here. The picture is bound to change after we lose a few. Until then I am going to enjoy this.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Assuming we keep Gabe and KC, unless the Jets change how they intend to deploy over the next few years there won't be spots for a good many of our winger prospects.

I can easy see Barlow packaged with say Jeinola to get a piece the team needs.

Our D corps is getting crowded. We have 9 now counting Heinola. As soon as he is ready we can assume Coghlan will be waived but that still leaves 8. We will have some coming up from the system within a year.

We have DeMelo signed for 3 more years after this one. If Pionk keeps playing like he has so far you have to think he will be extended. We have Miller for another year and he is more than earning his contract so far. There doesn't appear to be any vacancy except for injury replacement.

I've been wanting an upgrade at top 2 RHD for years. If Pionk's recent performance turns out to be another contract year boost I will be back on that bandwagon. But if he is 4 real we don't really need that anymore.

The left side is already 5 deep, assuming that Heinola is at least a viable NHL player. And it is certainly strong at the top with Morrissey and Samberg.

There are still a couple of 'ifs', but as it looks right now our problem isn't going to be trading for a D upgrade. It is going to be finding room for the prospects as they develop.

Up front, Namestnikov is doing a fine job as a 2C placeholder. Long term that need still exists but the urgency is removed, at least as long as Names can keep it up. With 3 promising candidates for the job, surely 1 of them will pan out. We also have a few promising prospects on the wings.

We have several F in their pending UFA years. There are going to be some tough decisions on who to keep and who to walk away from. Again, it is hard to see the need to trade anyone other than not wanting to see good players walk to UFA.

6-0 start is creating optimism, but Jets are in very good shape both short and long term. If this pans out the way it is looking right now Chevy has done an absolutely brilliant job here. The picture is bound to change after we lose a few. Until then I am going to enjoy this.
Can't disagree, that's what makes fake GMing so interesting!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't disagree, that's what makes fake GMing so interesting!

I still struggle with the Ehlers situation. He is my favourite player. Period.
But I have come around to accepting that he is probably not going to extend. I haven't come around so far as to accept him being used as an own rental. That leaves a trade.

On one hand, you can't even think of trading him while he is performing so well and the team is winning everything. OTOH, he is raising the price he would return. (Also the AAV of his next contract.)

I was thinking in terms of near ready young player(s), like Kulich+ from Buffalo. But he is still unproven and not likely to replace Ehlers contribution right now. It gets tough to replace a man who is contributing so well.

That leaves extending him. I think we should bite the bullet and pay him enough to get him past any hesitation he may have about signing here. I would limit the term though. No more than 6 years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

in general i think you can assign a low-% of chance of the Jets trading out of a prospect. you can probably count on your hand how many prospects they have actually traded, ie: Foley, McGroarty, Gawanke :dunno: who else. couple those obviously had their own unique circumstance or situation too.

I am guessing ehlers is lower on the pecking than lowry, connor, and others in terms of being re-signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad