Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

Malcsta

Mar 15, 2024
Yeah I love DeMelo but with Pionk, Miller, JMo, and Snerg all playing super well its kinda hard to notice him out there. But I suppose his style of play is more low key

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Personal hopes at this point:

1) We're able to re-sign Ehlers to something that works
2) Lambert and Chibrikov improve on good seasons last year and become playoff black aces (sorry Moose).
2b) Lambert himself plays well enough to be thought of as a C replacement if needed.
3) For TD additions, we don't trade away any 1sts or top prospects (Lambert, Salo, Yager, Chibs, and maybe Barlow). We go the depth route and add players like Nino, Names, for lesser costs.
4) If we HAVE to add a C for a high cost (Names and Lambert not options), I hope we start looking for players with some term.

I think this is happy path planning wise, but I think we need to start thinking worst case also while still making the playoffs. The old saying, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

I was against the whole Monahan trade last year before and after it happened, he was just a warm body and a waste of assets........which is exactly what I said he would be. Collecting meaningless points while on a terrible team playing meaningless games means so little compared to a meaningful role, points and games in the playoffs. Monahan is a nice guy, but a total waste in any top 6 role on any decent team (3C he would be fine, no issues with, even play him on the PP is fine). So glad we didn't sign him longer term, let him go to CBJ collect his meaningless points playing on another bad team in meaningless games on a tiny market USA team where there is zero pressure.

Reactions: Huffer

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

2) Lambert and Chibrikov improve on good seasons last year and become playoff black aces (sorry Moose).
2b) Lambert himself plays well enough to be thought of as a C replacement if needed.
3) For TD additions, we don't trade away any 1sts or top prospects (Lambert, Salo, Yager, Chibs, and maybe Barlow). We go the depth route and add players like Nino, Names, for lesser costs.
4) If we HAVE to add a C for a high cost (Names and Lambert not options), I hope we start looking for players with some term.
I'd really like to see Lambert on the same line as Ehlers and Namestnikov at some point before any decisions are made. That could be a pure speed line to balance out some heavier lines I'm not sure Ehlers-Perfetti is sustainable. I'd be ok with him adding scoring to the 4th line. Having Lambert and Perfetti on the 2bd PP would add more skill overall.

My own inclination is that the Jets need to draft d-men after going forward heavy. Team already has no 2nd, trading a 1st would leave the Jets with at best a 3rd round pick. Hard to shore up the defense that way. Consider that after this year JMo and De Melo are 3 years from UFA, which is the minimum a 1st round pick generally takes to develop. Uncertainty with Pionk, though I think he signs...Stanley likely gone after another season, and Heinola is far from a certainty. Frej would be his replacement in terms of style of play it seems. Salomonsson might make the team next season, which could be Miller's last. He could supplant De Melo sooner than later, but I don't know if you'll ever get the offense out of him that Pionk produces.

A Heinola trade might be something to consider to recoup assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

if you're anticipating ehlers being re-signed, KC i am going to guess get extended next summer. then you have Vilardi and Perfetti as 2 RFA Wingers who i don't think are going anywhere either. There's no room for top-6 Wingers. id dangle a fwd prospect+ for piece(s) now w/ term ofc.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
if you're anticipating ehlers being re-signed, KC i am going to guess get extended next summer. then you have Vilardi and Perfetti as 2 RFA Wingers who i don't think are going anywhere either. There's no room for top-6 Wingers. id dangle a fwd prospect+ for piece(s) now w/ term ofc.
We could run out of space for sure. I'm also not 100% against moving a forward prospect (although I would hate to move Lambert, Yager, or Chibs at this point) for another piece, but IMO that return would need to be young with term as well like you mention. And that's only if you don't think Lambert can get there to be a 2C.

But we could also be in a position in the future where we aren't able to get Ehlers to sign, and maybe we lose both Names and Iafallo, and Appleton is offered too much for us to match in the offseason as well. And maybe Connor gets offered more than the Jets are willing to spend and/or wants a fresh start. Not saying any or all of this will happen, but it's possible we could see some significant roster changes as well and be happy to have the young players able to come in.

I guess my (current) ideal scenario is really just basically hoping that the "adding" we do at the TD is a even more improved Lambert (if he's at a stage that he could be an upgrade on Names). That way we're not moving another 1st or top prospect for a rental, and the guys like Lambert, Chibrikov, Lucius, and eventually Yager, Barlow, etc. are playing on their elc's to offset the increased contracts for Ehlers and Connor. We probably could really use another quality RHD prospect to go along with Salo too I think.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You would think Pionk's numbers go up if he keeps playing the way he is. His career year will trump De Melo's by a lot. De Melo is also more likely to age out from wear and tear in his contract. But I see Samberg and Pionk signing the same term length. There's chemistry between them on and off the ice. You can't necessarily separate their success from each other. They had some success last year too, without much fanfare.
Pionk is a bit of a mystery. He can be very good at times as well as being inconsistent with his play? Does he just need the right partner? Maybe Samberg is that guy? Saying he just plays well in contract years seems like a bit of lazy argument IMO, as he has had some nice stretches in other years as well. I agree the Jets will re-sign him despite the complaints from some. I do think they will want to go longer term with Samberg due to age.

Reactions: Buffdog

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thinking a bit about Ehlers' situation...

First, I think he's highly valuable and without his offensive impact the Jets could struggle enough offensively to be at risk of falling out of playoff contention. He's juiced the PP and is starting to get that secondary scoring line cooking. I hope the Jets can find a way to re-sign him.

That said, his contract ceiling is clearly below Scheifele and Hellebuyck, so the Jets aren't likely going to go beyond about $7.5-8M on a 6-7 year deal. If Ehlers is looking for considerably more than something in the $48-52M range over 6-7 years, then the Jets probably need to look to trade him for a player that can provide impact for this season and a couple more. That's the likely prime window for this core, before a next wave emerges. It's really hard to make a good hockey trade in season. I wonder if there are any teams looking to make a splash, like the Sabres. They have some good young prospects, but that might not fit what the Jets need to replace Ehlers. Maybe something around Ryan McLeod +? I doubt the Sabres would want to move him, but he might be a good option to replace Namestnikov.

Reactions: KingBogo

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Thinking a bit about Ehlers' situation...

First, I think he's highly valuable and without his offensive impact the Jets could struggle enough offensively to be at risk of falling out of playoff contention. He's juiced the PP and is starting to get that secondary scoring line cooking. I hope the Jets can find a way to re-sign him.

That said, his contract ceiling is clearly below Scheifele and Hellebuyck, so the Jets aren't likely going to go beyond about $7.5-8M on a 6-7 year deal. If Ehlers is looking for considerably more than something in the $48-52M range over 6-7 years, then the Jets probably need to look to trade him for a player that can provide impact for this season and a couple more. That's the likely prime window for this core, before a next wave emerges. It's really hard to make a good hockey trade in season. I wonder if there are any teams looking to make a splash, like the Sabres. They have some good young prospects, but that might not fit what the Jets need to replace Ehlers. Maybe something around Ryan McLeod +? I doubt the Sabres would want to move him, but he might be a good option to replace Namestnikov.

The Jets have to show Ehlers they want him and dispel any feelings of disrespect he may or may not have felt in his time with the Jets. One way to do that is to offer him a matching deal to Scheifele and Helle. The Jets are unlikely to break even in an Ehlers trade in the short-term so imo they should be doing a full court press to get him re-signed. And offering a matching deal to 55/37 should be on the table imo.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Jets have to show Ehlers they want him and dispel any feelings of disrespect he may or may not have felt in his time with the Jets. One way to do that is to offer him a matching deal to Scheifele and Helle. The Jets are unlikely to break even in an Ehlers trade in the short-term so imo they should be doing a full court press to get him re-signed. And offering a matching deal to 55/37 should be on the table imo.
If Ehlers produced like Schief and Helle he'd get the same deal

There's no way you can say that he does without layering on the asterisks and that's not how these things work

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If you were teaching a psychology course this would be a perfect example of projection. Ehlers has never once said he has felt disrespected by the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad