2024-25 Roster…too soon?

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I take it you haven't read the thread and the posters saying there is no room for the youth this year? Go back and reread those posts which is what I am commenting on. I am clearly saying that if a young player is good enough to earn a spot on this roster, the likes of Smith, AA, Donato etc won't hold them back. But, the only player right now AT THIS MOMENT that looks to even make a case as a rookie to crack the lineup is Nazar. Never said he will, but he clearly is by far the most talented forward we have in our system. There is no log jam for our youth right now that some are claiming. Not sure what is hard to understand here...

Ok, fair enough. I misunderstood.

Big of him to admit he was dead wrong about rushing Korchinski to the NHL

To be fair both options sucked.

Reactions: belfour30

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'd argue that the Hawks were stuck between a rock and a hard place with KK. The AHL wasn't an option for him based on CHL rules and what was another year of playing in the WHL going to do for him?
A lot, actually.

He wasn't yet the best defenseman in the WHL when he was rushed to the NHL. If he was, different story. But he wasn't.

He still had much learn, and he should've done so in an environment we had the opportunity to become the top dog. Instead he was one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

People need to stop this narrative that he was too good for the WHL. He's not Connor Bedard.

There has never once been a single case in the history of hockey where a player's trajectory was ruined because they spent another year playing hockey in the WHL/OHL.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He wasn’t too good for the WHL. Others will disagree but I think it was a mistake to have to play him in the NHL. Our team was so bad he kinda had to, but seems like KD agrees considering the quotes and signings. Mateychuk played CHL again and was picked in a similar spot. WHL was strong this year.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
A lot, actually.

He wasn't yet the best defenseman in the WHL when he was rushed to the NHL. If he was, different story. But he wasn't.

He still had much learn, and he should've done so in an environment we had the opportunity to become the top dog. Instead he was one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

People need to stop this narrative that he was too good for the WHL. He's not Connor Bedard.

There has never once been a single case in the history of hockey where a player's trajectory was ruined because they spent another year playing hockey in the WHL/OHL.
I didn't say another year in the WHL would ruin him nor did I say he would be the top dog. The main question was would another year in the WHL be better for his development than a year in the NHL. Knowing what we know now, you could make an argument either way. But to say that KD was 'dead wrong' sounds harsh and unfair to judge what I thought was a 50/50 decision

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I didn't say another year in the WHL would ruin him nor did I say he would be the top dog. The main question was would another year in the WHL be better for his development than a year in the NHL. Knowing what we know now, you could make an argument either way. But to say that KD was 'dead wrong' sounds harsh and unfair to judge what I thought was a 50/50 decision
"Knowing what we know now" is hilarious even though it was blatantly obvious at the time he should've gone to the WHL after his 9 games.

Go back to any thread from then and I was saying it.

Reactions: TheFridge

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
The whole "he was too good for the WHL" argument with Korchinski is tired and wrong. He wasn't too good for the WHL. Not even close.

Would Korchinski have been better off in the AHL than the WHL if that was an option? Absolutely. But it wasn't. That doesn't mean he was too good for the WHL.

I've been beating this dead horse for more than half a year now. Keeping him up was a mistake. The good new is, from the outside, it doesn't seem like Korchinski has a huge ego so hopefully playing in the AHL to start this year won't hurt his confidence that was likely already shot from getting caved in every game last year.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I've been beating this dead horse for more than half a year now. Keeping him up was a mistake. The good new is, from the outside, it doesn't seem like Korchinski has a huge ego so hopefully playing in the AHL to start this year won't hurt his confidence that was likely already shot from getting caved in every game last year.
If his confidence happens to be shaken, I think playing on the top pairing with Lev (a 2nd overall selection) should quickly remedy that.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
"Knowing what we know now" is hilarious even though it was blatantly obvious at the time he should've gone to the WHL after his 9 games.

Go back to any thread from then and I was saying it.
Yeah but in all fairness you also repetitively say a bunch of shit (Vlasic, Mitchell, Strome) that doesn’t pan out at all.

I think they were in a difficult situation with KK last year. They made a decision that some people agree with and some don’t. I think it is too soon to know what the outcome is. Keith looked like a train wreck when he first came up too. That was after college and the AHL.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

Kevin Korchinski probably wasn’t ready for the NHL last season. Lukas Reichel showed signs as the season went on that he needed a reboot in Rockford.

Wyatt Kaiser could have likely benefitted from joining the IceHogs sooner, too. It was good for Isaak Phillips and Louis Crevier to get NHL looks, but they were overexposed after a while. Frank Nazar and Landon Slaggert displayed some positives after joining the Blackhawks from college, but it’d be a stretch to declare them ready to be full-time NHL players.

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson didn’t come out and say all that Friday, but it’s apparent he understood last season wasn’t the ideal development situation for the future.

During his presser, he was asked about Korchinski and in so many words it was he'll have to more than earn a roster spot or it's Rockford. It's the same for all prospects.

Davidson was asked Friday specifically about Korchinski’s situation for next season.

“We’ve created some competition around roles, that’s what we wanted to do after the season,” Davidson said. “So him, much like anyone else, he has to come in and take a spot. Young guys will have to be convincing in doing so.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Forwards:
T. Hall-C. Bedard-P. Kurashev
T. Bertuzzi-J. Dickinson-T. Teravainen
L. Reichel-A. Athanasiou-I. Mikheyev
N. Foligno-R. Donato-P. Maroon

C. Smith
J. Anderson

Callups:
F. Nazar
C. Guttman
Z. Sanford (waivers)
L. Slaggert
C. Dach

Defense:
A. Vlasic-S. Jones
K. Korchinski-C. Murphy
A. Martinez-T. Brodie
I. Phillips

Callups:
W. Kaiser
E. Del Mastro
L. Crevier
A. Levshunov (maybe just a taste..)

Goaltending:
P. Mrazek
L. Brossoit

Callup:
D. Commesso

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Forwards:
T. Hall-C. Bedard-P. Kurashev
T. Bertuzzi-J. Dickinson-T. Teravainen
L. Reichel-A. Athanasiou-I. Mikheyev
N. Foligno-R. Donato-P. Maroon

C. Smith
J. Anderson

Callups:
F. Nazar
C. Guttman
Z. Sanford (waivers)
L. Slaggert
C. Dach

Defense:
A. Vlasic-S. Jones
K. Korchinski-C. Murphy
A. Martinez-T. Brodie
I. Phillips

Callups:
W. Kaiser
E. Del Mastro
L. Crevier
A. Levshunov (maybe just a taste..)

Goaltending:
P. Mrazek
L. Brossoit

Callup:
D. Commesso
I could be wrong, but I don't think they signed Bertuzzi and Teravainen to play with Jason Dickinson.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Bert-Bedard-TT
Hall-Dickenson-Kurashev
Reichel-AA-Mik
Maroon-Foligno-Smith
Donato

Vlasic-Jones
Martinez-Brodie
KK-Murphy
Kaiser
Bertuzzi-Bedard-Kurashev
Hall-Dickinson-TT
Donato-AA-Mikheyev
Maroon-Smith-Foligno
Anderson

Vlasic-Jones
Martinez-Murphy
Kaiser-Brodie
Phillips

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Would you guys say mrazek will still be the starter this year or just like a 50/50 split?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The idea of Dickinson as a top 6 C is absurd

Hawks being one line team does not help Bedard and either Nazar is our #2C or Davidson has to go get an interim option

Also, if we move Kurashev away from Bedard he likely becomes worthless again

Bertuzzi-Bedard-Kurashev
Hall-Nazar-Teravainen

That should be top 6 if no C is acquired

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I'm all for keeping Kurashev away from Bedard next year. That way you can see what type of player he really is. It's not like the team is lacking in talented forwards that can play with Bedard now.

Kurashev is going to want a long term deal after next season. Do you really want to invest in him if he can't produce outside of playing with Bedard?

If he can't produce outside of playing with Bedard he is worth 3rd line money on a long term deal. The team needs to find out what type of player he is before investing in him long term.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'm all for keeping Kurashev away from Bedard next year. That way you can see what type of player he really is. It's not like the team is lacking in talented forwards that can play with Bedard now.

Kurashev is going to want a long term deal after next season. Do you really want to invest in him if he can't produce outside of playing with Bedard?

If he can't produce outside of playing with Bedard he is worth 3rd line money on a long term deal. The team needs to find out what type of player he is before investing in him long term.
This is a good point.

The idea of Dickinson as a top 6 C is absurd

Hawks being one line team does not help Bedard and either Nazar is our #2C or Davidson has to go get an interim option

Also, if we move Kurashev away from Bedard he likely becomes worthless again

Bertuzzi-Bedard-Kurashev
Hall-Nazar-Teravainen

That should be top 6 if no C is acquired
Nobody cares. They're still going to finish bottom 7 next year.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011

Exactly this. Kurashev riding primarily shotgun with Bedard and putting up a 60 point pace again means he is asking for 6 (if not 7 with the cap going up again) million and getting it from an arbitrator if Davidson doesn't give it to him. Let Kurashev prove he is that type of player with someone other than Bedard.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
I hope Kurashev can do well without Bedard, would be nice to see somebody go through the shit show and then be a solid piece for the team during their playoff runs post rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad