2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gotcha. Didnt know if it was a signing age thing. Ahh so Winnipeg can still call his bluff for a bit.

They lose almost all value if he plays another year

And correct me if I am wrong but he now gets some money via NIL pay being at top program, etc

So he isn't exactly going to struggle completely so he holds alot of power here as well so if Jets want to call his bluff they may end up with just 2nd round comp pick to show for it in 2 years

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
They lose almost all value if he plays another year

And correct me if I am wrong but he now gets some money via NIL pay being at top program, etc

So he isn't exactly going to struggle completely so he holds alot of power here as well so if Jets want to call his bluff they may end up with just 2nd round comp pick to show for it in 2 years
2 years is a long wait for someone who thinks they are ready now. Also in that time Winnipeg will have a time when they would be ready to sign and call him up. Do they get a 2nd if he doesnt sign?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

He watched his teammates sign with NHL clubs and play in NHL after Michigan season ended over last 2 years

Hughes (4th overall in 2021) with Devils
Nazar (13th overall in 2022) with Hawks
Brindley (34th overall in 2023) with Blue Jackets

The Jets excuse to not sign him comes off pretty poor when you consider Devils were in same exact spot with Hughes but signed him and gave him a few games (Even a few playoff games) and burned off year of ELC

Jets refused to sign him nor wanted to use year of ELC nor guarantee he would be in contention for a spot-on team in 2024-25

The Jets played Morgan Barron in final games of season,, Yet this kid they drafted 14th overall and who has been among best in NCAA was not going to be given look

It's understandable he wants to move on

Jets also have perceptions of issues holding back other kids so reputation is out there the Jets management slowrolls kids path to NHL

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Even if he is OK with 20 teams, no way in hell am I paying that much for a guy who hasn't even proven he can be a good NHLer.
Not sure what that much (not sure what speculation of proposal you think is to much) you are talking about, but if I can acquire McGroaty with the main piece being #18 or the Leaf's 1st next year with excess prospcet depth, I do that all day long. We have a glut of LHD all approaching NHL ready a few of which will not have a roster spot to play into. Vlassic has a spot locked down, Korchinski is going to be given every oppurtunity and then some to grab another (based on being Davidison's first 1st and part of a major trade), which leaves EDM, Kaiser, Phillips, Allen vying for one spot or 2 at best with one playing off hand. Better to use one to acquire a piecce that has a roster spot verses letting them rot on the vine and ending up with Mitchell & Regula where they are worth virtually nothing in another year or two.

McGroaty is more proven then the #18 pick or next years Leafs 1st.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone saying this is related to NIL money is out to lunch. If Winnipeg offers to play him games down the stretch he signs. NIL is this new boogeyman. These guys are signing deals for Chipotle bowls. It isn't at that level yet for hockey.

NIL money isn't much but it gives some leverage against argument of "Well good luck not playing in NHL for 2 years then"

At end of day the Jets chose Morgan Barron over him

There was no downside to them signing him and playing him a few games ala what Devils (In exact situation) did with Hughes

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
NIL money isn't much but it gives some leverage against argument of "Well good luck not playing in NHL for 2 years then"

There was no downside to them signing him and playing him a few games ala what Devils (In exact situation) did with Hughes
My old job has pizza parties but my new one is what I worked my entire life for isn’t leverage

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Logan Cooley's NIL money was literally a free burrito a day from Chipotle.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
The biggest hockey NIL deal I’ve heard of was Eiserman getting ~75K to flip to BU. There’s not a ton of money in it for hockey

Reactions: TLEH

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Interesting name out there is Jacob Bernard-Docker

Sens GM appears to want to move on from him and I assume he doesn't fit what Travis Green wants from a dman. Sens GM is offering his name up around league. He is left over from old regime, so he has no attachment to him

23 yrs old, RD
72 GP
4 G
10 A
14 pts
15:42 TOI (1:27 SH)
156 blocks
62 hits

Signed to one-way deal and would have to go thru waivers if sent down to start year so Sens are probably looking for pick/prospect/player because they expect to lose him on waivers if they try to send him down

Sounds like good buy low here for our 3rd pairing RD spot next season

If he doesn't work out he is RFA next summer and Hawks can move on

Maybe JBD for Raddysh RFA rights + Hawks 2024 6th round pick (#163) would be of interest to Sens
Id be surprised if they gave up on JBD, especially since they’re all but guaranteed to trade Chychrun. But the Sens are looking to compete now so maybe. The Hawks would be an ideal spot for him to get another year of development in a low pressure environment.

I’d also inquire on Matthieu Joseph. He fits our speed/compete profile perfectly.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Even if he is OK with 20 teams, no way in hell am I paying that much for a guy who hasn't even proven he can be a good NHLer.
Neither has any of the draft picks mentioned as going the other way in a trade. If anything, being further along in his development, he’s safer than a mid-late first rounder.

Him wanting out seems to be all related to being fairly given an opportunity to turn pro, not a specific city, so they market will decide what he’s worth as Id have to imagine there will be a fair amount of competition to acquire him. My understanding is he outplayed Nazar last year. Of course there are questions on his skating, but have others have said, he provides something we don’t have much of in size with skill.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Teravainen-Bedard-Kurashev
Hall-Nazar-McGroarty
Reichel-Dickinson-Anthansiou
Slaggert-Donato-Foligno
Anderson

Cmon Kyle
Swap out Teravainen for Ehlers. Swap out Reichel because he'll be in the Ehlers deal. Move Slaggert to the Dickinson line. Add Dakota Joshua to the 4th line.....done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad