2024-25 Roster…too soon?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Will people be ok with not landing any free agents besides some depth guys? It would be another tank year and getting Bedard no help besides Hall. Im not sure the hawks will be able to talk these guys into coming/coming back.

No Chance-
Stamkos
Reinhart
Marchessault

Probably Not
Duchene
Kane

?
Tuevo
Domi
Stephenson
Henrique
Bertuzzi
Duclair
Guentzel
Tarasenko

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Will people be ok with not landing any free agents besides some depth guys? It would be another tank year and getting Bedard no help besides Hall. Im not sure the hawks will be able to talk these guys into coming/coming back.

No Chance-
Stamkos
Reinhart
Marchessault

Probably Not
Duchene
Kane

?
Tuevo
Domi
Stephenson
Henrique
Bertuzzi
Duclair
Guentzel
Tarasenko
Us fans really don't have a choice. I think Bedard and rest of the team based on post season interviews would revolt if KD fails to upgrade the roster. If you want Bedard to develop and want to re-sign in Chicago you cant just keep being a bottom tier team

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Us fans really don't have a choice. I think Bedard and rest of the team based on post season interviews would revolt if KD fails to upgrade the roster. If you want Bedard to develop and want to re-sign in Chicago you cant just keep being a bottom tier team

Seth Jones may, but who cares about that guy. He was stupid enough to sign an 8-year deal with a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and whose best players were in their mid-30s nearing the end of their contracts.

Bedard won't refuse to sign an extension because they were bad his first two years. The roster clearly needs a bit of an upgrade but the players here need to stay healthy too. It's not as if the Hawks were designed to be as bad as they were last year. They weren't trying to be good, but they weren't trying to worse than the previous year.

But make no mistake, this is still a bottom-10 team even if they do bring in some help/improve enough from within.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
What have you seen from Jeannot over the last couple years? Had hopes for him in NASH but he's been a huge disappointment since going to TB. Looks slow with heavy feet and consistently way behind the play. And TB has given him every chance to find a role.

Admittedly, he looked quite good in Nashville, but hasn't produced in Tampa. So, it would have to be for the right price, but he goes to the net and boards and we don't have enough "character" in the lineup to do that----Nazer, Bedard---these aren't board battlers nor do you really want them to be. Bedard needs a legit power forward. Every team needs that mix---you can't have 3 great skating, soft lines ---a big part of the game is board battle, time of possession, etc. Our D, Vlasic and soon to be EDM and Allan is looking better in that regards, but that's not in the offensive zone. I will say that I haven't watched Jeannot since his Nashville days so I'm strictly basing it off that, but I sure wouldn't over pay for him either.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

A write up from Wheeler's top 75 drafted prospects list from March:

18. Rutger McGroarty​

McGroarty’s one of those kids who just looks like a pro hockey player. If he walked into an NHL dressing room tomorrow, he would stand as strong as some in it. Then you add in the charisma that made him the natural choice for the captaincy at the U.S. NTDP and with this year’s gold medal-winning world junior team, the light and energy that oozes out of him, and you have to be careful not to put too much stock into the off-ice pieces of the puzzle that he already appears to have figured out. But I think he’s a darn good hockey player and the pieces of the puzzle fit together nicely on the ice as well.

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got raw skill that shows up in his great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

He has particularly mastered the net drive into a high rotation away from coverage that brings him back to around the net. And then when he gets there, he’s got the strength to shoot from bad postures/off balance. He always seems to put his shots into good locations (along the ice, low blocker, high short side), too. He’s dexterous. He’s a tone setter. I’m a big fan.

The ice normally tilts in his favour, he’s such a smart player, he can score, he works, and he just understands where to be out there and how to put himself in positions to create offence. He has also reinforced his strong statistical profile from the NTDP at Michigan, where he was a point-per-game freshman a year ago and has played above 1.5 points per game as a sophomore this year despite a pretty severe injury in the fall (a broken rib and punctured lung). As I write this, he leads the Wolverines in scoring despite having played five fewer games than his peers.

If he can get a little quicker from the jump, he’s got all of the other makings of a legitimate top-nine forward who can play up and down a lineup with a variety of player types. I think he might be ready to turn pro at the end of this season, too.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West

A write up from Wheeler's top 75 drafted prospects list from March:

18. Rutger McGroarty​

McGroarty’s one of those kids who just looks like a pro hockey player. If he walked into an NHL dressing room tomorrow, he would stand as strong as some in it. Then you add in the charisma that made him the natural choice for the captaincy at the U.S. NTDP and with this year’s gold medal-winning world junior team, the light and energy that oozes out of him, and you have to be careful not to put too much stock into the off-ice pieces of the puzzle that he already appears to have figured out. But I think he’s a darn good hockey player and the pieces of the puzzle fit together nicely on the ice as well.

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got raw skill that shows up in his great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

He has particularly mastered the net drive into a high rotation away from coverage that brings him back to around the net. And then when he gets there, he’s got the strength to shoot from bad postures/off balance. He always seems to put his shots into good locations (along the ice, low blocker, high short side), too. He’s dexterous. He’s a tone setter. I’m a big fan.

The ice normally tilts in his favour, he’s such a smart player, he can score, he works, and he just understands where to be out there and how to put himself in positions to create offence. He has also reinforced his strong statistical profile from the NTDP at Michigan, where he was a point-per-game freshman a year ago and has played above 1.5 points per game as a sophomore this year despite a pretty severe injury in the fall (a broken rib and punctured lung). As I write this, he leads the Wolverines in scoring despite having played five fewer games than his peers.

If he can get a little quicker from the jump, he’s got all of the other makings of a legitimate top-nine forward who can play up and down a lineup with a variety of player types. I think he might be ready to turn pro at the end of this season, too.
yeah I want KD to do whatever it takes to get him. I really love that Team USA roster and want the Blackhawks to collect them like Infinity stones

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Reichel doesn't seem to be of interest to Jet fans because of W glut they have

Wonder if they would bite on #34 + Leafs 2025 1st (Top 10 protected) and D Wyatt Kaiser instead of #18

I really want to make that selection because there are several prospects in that spot that would be great to have IMO

Reactions: BHFAN92

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019

Wonder if they would bite on #34 + Leafs 2025 1st (Top 10 protected) and D Wyatt Kaiser instead of #18

I really want to make that selection because there are several prospects in that spot that would be great to have IMO
Honestly I think 34+Kaiser should be enough. I'm not sure WPG has enough leverage to get a 1st.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Why are people willing to trade so much for McGroaty? WPG has no leverage, he'll want to pick where he wants to go, and he isn't an established player. Way too much for him.

Reactions: Wally1112pac

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
What have you seen from Jeannot over the last couple years? Had hopes for him in NASH but he's been a huge disappointment since going to TB. Looks slow with heavy feet and consistently way behind the play. And TB has given him every chance to find a role.

IMO you way underestimate the cost of moving up. No way the this draft the Hawks could move up from 18 to 15 for a 3rd.
The value charts say the diference between 15 & 18 is a pick in the low 60's I get the team with the better pick generally "wins" these types of trades but 2 years of Holl's contract is not really close to a high 3rd in value in and should be more like a high 2nd to dump that contract. I don't mind take an L to move up the 3 spots (just like I didn't mind taking a small L in the trade to move from 20 to 18), but there is a considerable gap between a high 3rd and a high 2nd.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Why are people willing to trade so much for McGroaty? WPG has no leverage, he'll want to pick where he wants to go, and he isn't an established player. Way too much for him.
We have no idea what McGroaty is willing to do and that has a massive effect on his value. If he is pulling an Adam Fox and will only sign with one team and will use staying in college to get to UFA to the bitter end, yes his value is greatly diminished and could be a bargain if that one team is the Hawks. If however he simply don't like Winnipeg or Canada, but is open to 20ish teams, you are going to have to pay fair value to get him.

I like him a lot as a fit stylistically and he has a little size relative to the Hawks forward prospect pool. He has a middle of the ice element to his game and 6'1 205 is different then most of our top end forward prospects too.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

Looks like Marino will be the odd man out. Any interest in acquiring him? He’s got 3 years left at $4.4 mil AVV

Yes, Marino would be the perfect guy to put with Korchinski.

We have no idea what McGroaty is willing to do and that has a massive effect on his value. If he is pulling an Adam Fox and will only sign with one team and will use staying in college to get to UFA to the bitter end, yes his value is greatly diminished and could be a bargain if that one team is the Hawks. If however he simply don't like Winnipeg or Canada, but is open to 20ish teams, you are going to have to pay fair value to get him.

I like him a lot as a fit stylistically and he has a little size relative to the Hawks forward prospect pool. He has a middle of the ice element to his game and 6'1 205 is different then most of our top end forward prospects too.
Hes got to stay in college for 1 or 2 more years to become a UFA?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Did McGroarty play with Nazar as his linemate at all?

If we acquired McGroarty would he be better paired with Nazar as his C or Bedard?

He did, but also didn't. Nazar got jerked around a lot. I would say he played 30% of his time with Brindley and McGroarty, and 70% of his time without them.

I don't think I would be willing to give anything close to this value. I would have done 20+Allan or something but now that we are at 18 it doesn't seem to make sense. But I'm definitely not doing 34+1st+Kaiser.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Even if he is OK with 20 teams, no way in hell am I paying that much for a guy who hasn't even proven he can be a good NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad