2024-25 Roster…too soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
intentionally going out of your way to pick up bad contracts to bolster at best a bottom ten club because once the team is better you can give away pieces of the better squad and futures to get rid of the bad contracts is genius.
Yes, and all the people who thought last summer was a good one will probably agree with your take above.

Bedard, a few kids, identifying a core that can play NHL hockey, and the ability to acquire 2 or 3 more core players are all that really matters. A combination of a late first and 2 2nds has maybe a 10% chance of landing a 2nd line or 2nd pair player 5 or more years from now. The cap concerns are ridiculous, they'll have years to navigate around several of the inevitable bad contracts.

So yes, spend assets to make the team play in a way where they can actually identify and develop a core.

There's almost certainly not going to be highly efficient asset management in any scenario building up. As I've been saying the whole time, these extra picks have declining value because there are just too many to manage well and there's going to be alot of waste built in already.

This team can't even practice, I don't think they strung 4 consecutive decent periods together all year. It's going to be very expensive to upgrade out of the dumpster...or take several extra seasons.
The Necas or not debate is too hinged on, there being this alternative of signing a UFA

What marquee UFA is going to sign a deal to this team at this phase?

If you want real top 6 help, the only option is a trade target in my view.
I think you're right on the trade.
Hawks are going to have to give up alot in picks and/or cap down the road to avoiding repeating many of the same disasters and wasted time of this past season.
So you're now paying a winger who isn't an elite scorer a lot of money, a lot of term, and you're having to trade for him. Its not a move I want to make.
This is an easy statement to agree with at a glance but what's a realistic alternative? We've seen the Hall, AA, Foligno Domi thing already.

Forget Necas, I don't think there's a way for the Hawks to acquire 2 needed scoring or matchup dictating pieces that get this team playing NHL hockey without giving up alot of cap in 2029 and several picks in the 24-75oa range.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Blackhawks don't need to trade any assets unless they are getting 100% core players that are around Bedard age in return . Ufa's and draft picks and lousy contracts with more picks attached .

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
This team can't even practice, I don't think they strung 4 consecutive decent periods together all year. It's going to be very expensive to upgrade out of the dumpster...or take several extra seasons.
the problem with your whole thesis is that you seem to think that if the hawks just spend money and they stop being one of the worst teams in the league. this is ironic because in spite of your opinion that last off season was bad, that’s what they did last year and you seem to want them to run back that play book but bring on higher term so as to make the free agency dumpster diving actively more damaging. you are a moron. i don’t see how you take yourself seriously.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
the problem with your whole thesis is that you seem to think that if the hawks just spend money and they stop being one of the worst teams in the league. this is ironic because in spite of your opinion that last off season was bad, that’s what they did last year and you seem to want them to run back that play book but bring on higher term so as to make the free agency dumpster diving actively more damaging. you are a moron. i don’t see how you take yourself seriously.
Its Doug he wants them to go back to being mid like they were from 2018-22

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hawks would need to talk with him and have a contract in place before deal

Can't risk pulling off move and then end up with him walking in two years
He wants to play in the NHL this year... the Jets told him there wouldnt be space apparently. He would be traded solely for the point of signing immediately.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
A club that gets better and moves to contention with no bad contracts years out, no cap issues, and lots of extra pretty picks and prospects. How many times has that happened successfully in a build up the last 2 decades?

Last season didn't go real well on the whole, c'mon now.

They need to spend to develop the kids they want to build around. It's going to be really expensive, unfortunately, and they're going to have to part with shiny things like late firsts and 2nds and cap space years down the road.

The alternative is to keep the blind leading the blind while hoping hockey ops doesn't fumble too bad evaluating kids practicing against weak players and competing in games against competition mailing in alot of shifts. As a fan, no thanks.

Contracts are going to be jacked up, every team has them. KD and crew can get some experience working through them (I assume he's a long term hire for Danny) or get those bad papers later, it's happening one way or the other. Half the roster will be in cost controlled years for the rest of the decade so the cap concerns should be a really low priority.
Its Doug he wants them to go back to being mid like they were from 2018-22
Right, exactly. Nailed it.

Always fun from a troll more interested in killing conversation than contributing to one. Guess that's why we can't have nice things.

What are you at, 8 to 10 insults to 1 soft, group-appeasing hockey thought? Reads like somebody protecting a fragile keyboard ego, but good luck out there buddy.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Things that make me go “ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh”: another team on twitter seemingly very interested in McGroarty is NYI. Their offer: #20 OA. Is KD playing chess while Lou playing checkers?

Reactions: Drumman44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad