2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Necas or not debate is too hinged on, there being this alternative of signing a UFA

What marquee UFA is going to sign a deal to this team at this phase?
Doesn't have to be a marquee UFA. 50pt player who is good in his own zone is all we need. And players will go where the money is, if they aren't getting that long term contract they want, they will settle for a 1 or 2 year deal at big money. Happens all the time. If it doesn't happen, oh well, try again next year.

You don't understand then. Your weighting someone's rookie year 5 years ago the same as the previous 2 seasons while trying to project over the next 6-8.

You dont understand. Your not looking for the median. Thats now how contracts are done.
And thats why most teams end up regretting signing big UFAs/RFA contracts 3 or 4 years after they signed them.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
The Necas or not debate is too hinged on, there being this alternative of signing a UFA

What marquee UFA is going to sign a deal to this team at this phase?

If you want real top 6 help, the only option is a trade target in my view.
They will have to overpay someone and probly for longer term. These guys are older. Even then they would have to beat out some other teams that are willing to do the same. It only takes 1 or 2 out of the 8 or so that would make sense?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
But he's not our player, and therefore cost assets AND a big long term contract. Something a rebuilding team that isn't even close to the playoffs should be doing. It's how you become a Buffalo/Arizona.

Why are posts being deleted, what is going on?
I dont know I wasnt able to post for a second there. I can understand the stance on not spending assets for the wrong age player. Hes not the wrong age player. He will be in your lineup for 7-8 years.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I dont know I wasnt able to post for a second there. I can understand the stance on not spending assets for the wrong age player. Hes not the wrong age player. He will be in your lineup for 7-8 years.
I dont even care about age, really. Its the right fit, and he isn't the right fit IMO. He isnt good defensively, therefore has to be on a separate line than Bedard. You cant have 2 defensively inept players on the same line in todays NHL, and be successful.

Reactions: BHawks77

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
We disagree. I want to give Bedard help. Go get a player with upside at the correct age to help now and the future. Im willing to give up assets to do that and pay him what hes worth.

You dont think hes good enought, you dont want to spend assets now, and think 7-7.5 is too much to give him.

See ya at the next argument.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We disagree. I want to give Bedard help. Go get a player with upside at the correct age to help now and the future. Im willing to give up assets to do that and pay him what hes worth.

You dont think hes good enought, you dont want to spend assets now, and think 7-7.5 is too much to give him.

See ya at the next argument.
I want to give Bedard the right help, and not spend big assets AND long term/big money to do that. Which is completely possible, save the assets for when we need to fill holes on a team that is looking to be competitive. (3 - 4 years from now)

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Necas is 25 and not even in his prime. If you think what you see is what you get for the next 7-9 years I have to disagree.

Signing 50 pt players that are good in the own Zone is a mith for a rebuilding Team. Every Team is looking for this Player. You have to overpay and have to add term to outbid the others.

You need to Look for trades like Necas or overpaying for Farabee.
After that, you might Look more like a destination for a better UFA.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Necas is 25 and not even in his prime. If you think what you see is what you get for the next 7-9 years I have to disagree.

Signing 50 pt players that are good in the own Zone is a mith for a rebuilding Team. Every Team is looking for this Player. You have to overpay and have to add term to outbid the others.

But why spend assets to acquire a player, and pay him big money if he isn't good in his own zone? And 25 is most definitely the prime age for forwards. He'll be lucky to still be an effective player at age 32+.

Players will want to come to Chicago to play with Bedard, in a first class city and organization. We aren't EDM or BUF.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Didn't we already trade a haul for Seth Jones when he was 1 year away from ufa status? We signed him to a big contract as if he was the final piece to re-open the Cup window. How did that work out.

I know management is different now but to trade a haul for Necas only sign him to a major deal is doing the same thing we did with Jones.

Necas is not going to move the needle for us. We won't be making the playoffs next year because Necas is only the roster.

The timing isn't right to be signing 7 year deals with players. Find some free ufas that will take a 2 year deal and run with them. Yes, the team needs to improve but let's now make the Jones mistake twice.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Coming from the guy who said Kruger would be a 2C!!

:sarcasm:

Sorry, had to do it

Thunder Dome. Loser gets voted on and is banished to traverse the mains for six months.
Worse, they can only post in “The Lounge”

Reactions: Mrfenn92

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Ross Colton is supposedly on the block. He had 17 goals and 23 assists in 80 games this past season. He's got 3 years left at $4 million AAV. Any interest?
Would depend on acquisition cost for me. I think 4x3 is probably a more team friendly deal than similar caliber players are going to get as ufas this summer

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Didn't we already trade a haul for Seth Jones when he was 1 year away from ufa status? We signed him to a big contract as if he was the final piece to re-open the Cup window. How did that work out.

I know management is different now but to trade a haul for Necas only sign him to a major deal is doing the same thing we did with Jones.

Necas is not going to move the needle for us. We won't be making the playoffs next year because Necas is only the roster.

The timing isn't right to be signing 7 year deals with players. Find some free ufas that will take a 2 year deal and run with them. Yes, the team needs to improve but let's now make the Jones mistake twice.
Completely different scenerio with a different roster and prospects. Bowman was fighting for his job there. Jones was 28. Higher AAV and cost more in assets. Nobody has mentioned playoffs next year.

That team didnt have Bedard, Demidov/Levshunov, Nazar, Moore, Korchinski, Hayes, Del Mastro, NHL Vlasic, Moore, NHL Kurashev. Commesso, Greene etc. Adding a 25 year old fits.

That team had no direction or plan. That didnt fit a timeline. Strome Debrincat Fleury Dach Boqvist Beaudin Mitchell Hagel Kane Toews. They were stuck in limbo and the prospects didnt turn out.

Last edited:

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Completely different scenerio with a different roster and prospects. Bowman was fighting for his job there. Jones was 28. Higher AAV and cost more in assets. Nobody has mentioned playoffs next year.

That team didnt have Bedard, Demidov/Levshunov, Nazar, Moore, Korchinski, Hayes, Del Mastro, NHL Vlasic, Moore, NHL Kurashev. Commesso, Greene etc. Adding a 25 year old fits.

That team had no direction or plan. That didnt fit a timeline. Strome Debrincat Fleury Dach Boqvist Beaudin Mitchell Hagel Kane Toews. They were stuck in limbo and the prospects didnt turn out.

I understand what was done. I mentioned 2 different management groups.

The spirit of what was done and what could be done with Necas remains the same. That is to trade a bunch of good assets for a player who doesn't fit the current timeline.

Now is not the time to make that type of move. The time to do that is in 2 years when Bedard, Demidov/Levshunov, Nazar, Moore, Korchinski, Hayes, Del Mastro, Vlasic, Moore, Kurashev. Commesso and Greene are in their early 20's. They will all be 2 years better than they are now. The window will just be opening. That is the time to add a 25 year old to the mix. (assuming we have the cap space)

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I understand what was done. I mentioned 2 different management groups.

The spirit of what was done and what could be done with Necas remains the same. That is to trade a bunch of good assets for a player who doesn't fit the current timeline.

Now is not the time to make that type of move. The time to do that is in 2 years when Bedard, Demidov/Levshunov, Nazar, Moore, Korchinski, Hayes, Del Mastro, Vlasic, Moore, Kurashev. Commesso and Greene are in their early 20's. They will all be 2 years better than they are now. The window will just be opening. That is the time to add a 25 year old to the mix. (assuming we have the cap space)
I disagree on this.

In two years we will still have more cap space then we know what to do with. We will have Vlasic and Jones signed and then Bedards big deal. Possibly a couple UFAs. Nazar Moore Korchinski Hayes Del Mastro Demidov/Levshunov, Korchinski. They dont get paid big until like 6 years from now. Some will bridge some will bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad