2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I disagree on this.

In two years we will still have more cap space then we know what to do with. We will have Vlasic and Jones signed and then Bedards big deal. Possibly a couple UFAs. Nazar Moore Korchinski Hayes Del Mastro Demidov/Levshunov, Korchinski. They dont get paid big until like 6 years from now. Some will bridge some will bust.

I'm not super worried about the cap.

It is the development of the young players and when the Cup window is beginning to open. In 2 years all the good young talent that we have will be that much better. That is the time to spend money on a player that will be with the core for 7 years.

Plus I'm not interesting in giving away assets at this point in time. We can sign decent free agents for free.

Reactions: Sarava

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I'm not super worried about the cap.

It is the development of the young players and when the Cup window is beginning to open. In 2 years all the good young talent that we have will be that much better. That is the time to spend money on a player that will be with the core for 7 years.

Plus I'm not interesting in giving away assets at this point in time. We can sign decent free agents for free.
We will see. Hopefully.

Arvidsson Teuvo Domi Toffoli Tarasanko Bertuzzi Henrique

Need someone to want to get short deal for high AAV for a terrible team. While a bunch of teams can offer the same.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Take Jeff Skinner in a cap dump. Trade for Laine.
Both are an upgrade over the plugs we've been skating and we're only on the hook for two years. Bring Teuvo back and find a veteran RHD. I'd still like to take a gamble on Kotkaniemi if something can be worked in our favor.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Both are an upgrade over the plugs we've been skating and we're only on the hook for two years. Bring Teuvo back and find a veteran RHD. I'd still like to take a gamble on Kotkaniemi if something can be worked in our favor.
Trying to mess around and win the cup next year?!

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Lu Rich would have all of those guys benched or buried and Entwistle on the top line by November.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Seems like Tavares might be available soon with leaf's looking to extend Marner . This years 1st rounder Leaf's and Kyle will do it (11 million yikes).

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
All jokes aside. TT, Hall, Laine, and Skinner added to our roster would be too much too soon. Call me delusional but bedard is 100 pt guy next year. Thats 3 guys who’ve scored 40 goals + bedard. If even one of them plays 82 wel… you are the Capitals or Flyers.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

8. Tanner Jeannot, Tampa Bay Lightning

2023-24 stats: 7 goals, 14 points, 12:01 ATOI, minus-10
Contract: $2.665 million through 2025 (UFA)

At the outset of yet another summer with tight cap dollars, the Lightning are looking for ways to create space. Enter Jeannot, the hard-hitting winger who hasn’t ever been close to duplicating the 24-goal, 41-point season had in Nashville in 2021-22. It’s safe to say he’s one of the few big swings made by Tampa general manager Julien BriseBois that didn’t pay off, and he also happens to be one year out from unrestricted free agency. BriseBois has never shied away from a tough decision, and if he can find a way to get Jeannot’s cap hit off the books, it might not even be that tough for him to pull the trigger on the deal.

11. Kaapo Kakko, New York Rangers

2023-24 stats: 13 goals, 19 points, 13:17 ATOI, plus-6
Contract: $2.4 million through 2025 (RFA)

When the playoffs ended, the former No. 2 draft pick expressed a desire to remain in New York and quickly signed a one-year contract at the amount he would have been due on his qualifying offer — $2.4 million — rather than pushing for more money and term. That provided cost certainty for the Rangers, but it won’t guarantee him a future roster spot as the team enters an important summer for retooling.

12. Mathieu Joseph, Ottawa Senators

2023-24 stats: 11 goals, 35 points, 16:28 ATOI, minus-4
Contract: $2.95 million through 2026 (RFA)

His second full season in Ottawa went much better than the first, but he remains expendable on a roster stocked with young forwards. In fact, with an affordable cap hit for the next two years, Joseph may be able to bring back some value. His speed remains an asset, and there were teams who inquired about his availability during the season.
Any interest in acquiring one of these guys? I'd very interested in acquiring Joseph and putting him on the Bedard line

Reactions: Muffinalt

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
All jokes aside. TT, Hall, Laine, and Skinner added to our roster would be too much too soon. Call me delusional but bedard is 100 pt guy next year. Thats 3 guys who’ve scored 40 goals + bedard. If even one of them plays 82 wel… you are the Capitals or Flyers.

You're crazy.

Reactions: Pez68

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You're crazy.
9 guys had 100 this year. Mcdavid did it in year 2. Crosby did it year 1 and year 2. Ovechkin did it in year 1. Malkin did it.

Is he one of those guys or isn’t he? He’s supposed to be somewhere in that tier. Not crazy. Optimistic, yes. But not crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
But why spend assets to acquire a player, and pay him big money if he isn't good in his own zone? And 25 is most definitely the prime age for forwards. He'll be lucky to still be an effective player at age 32+.

Players will want to come to Chicago to play with Bedard, in a first class city and organization. We aren't EDM or BUF.
32+ would be the end of his contract. We'd pay for his prime years and he's shown he can put up 70. There is a reason to think he can do it again.

I wouldn't consider TOR 1st and a 2nd overpayment, that would be the going rate. I'm not confident enough to find the players that would help and a 25 year old is young enough to help now and in 5 years.
We wouldn't be trading a Top 10 pick and more like we did with Jones (not saying you brought that up).

You go with Necas on the 2nd line and pair him with Bedard on the PP. I think he can become a 25+/40+ player during that contract. I always liked him and like that there is a chance to get him. You don't always have a chance to trade for 25 year old 55 Point players that can put up more. It would be a bit of a gamble.

Players will want to sign here if we are in a better situation. Right now I don't think we are that team and I think a guy like Teuvo would rather sign with the Preds that can offer money, term and a PO roster. There are better teams out there with Cap Space or rebuilding teams with Cap Space and needs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
:wedgie:

at least he made it. That one was on me for sure.

Still feeling confident about my Reichel prediction - and hope he ends up better than what I expected.
Kruger was honestly a great Blackhawk. Warrior. Took a beating thanklessly and didn’t make a lot of money doing it. Also an excellent and invaluable shutdown 4C as well. He doesn’t get enough respect.

Just joking about the 2C thing but we were really fortunate to have a guy like him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You don't always have a chance to trade for 25 year old 55 Point players that can put up more. It would be a bit of a gamble.
You pretty much do always have a chance to trade for 55pt wingers, they are commonly on the market. And the Hawks aren't in a position to be taking gambles for quality assets/draft picks. You take gambles on the guys who maybe haven't broke out yet that cost only a 2nd or 3rd round pick and sign your 55pt players as UFAs.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
You pretty much do always have a chance to trade for 55pt wingers, they are commonly on the market. And the Hawks aren't in a position to be taking gambles for quality assets/draft picks. You take gambles on the guys who maybe haven't broke out yet that cost only a 2nd or 3rd round pick and sign your 55pt players as UFAs.
Less of a gamble to go get proven talent at the right age then to draft late in the first.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Jeannot for the right price would be of interest. We'll be short of toughness with Tinordi gone. Joshua is number 1 on the list to add. One additional short term proven goal scorer would be nice, but Davidson can't be adding poor role models like Laine.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Less of a gamble to go get proven talent at the right age then to draft late in the first.
I'd rather have a bunch of lottery tickets that can be something great than to take a gamble on a 55pt winger who can't play defense and doesn't play physical and who you can get for free as a UFA pretty much every year.

Reactions: Giovi

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I'd rather have a bunch of lottery tickets that can be something great than to take a gamble on a 55pt winger who can't play defense and doesn't play physical and who you can get for free as a UFA pretty much every year.
You cant get any 25 year olds in UFA.

What about signing Foegele as an UFA for the bottom 6? I like the speed he has and he put up 20G, 21A during the regular season.
I think Foegele is just a cheaper Joshua so I would be fine with that. Think a contender will want him more tho.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I dont recall saying anything about 25year olds. I'd rather take a 27 year old for free than pay a 1st and 2nd for a 25 year old.
Yea id rather have the upside, prime term, and give help to my most important asset asap.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
How about Mark Giordano? He seems like he wants to play a bit longer. He can play a mentor 6th 7th 8th D spot. I think he can play both sides?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad