Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Yup, let’s do a Double-dip rebuild. Trade Terry, Z and McT and build around Carlsson and Sennecke. :sarcasm:
Honestly, if Carlsson hasn't broken a point per game yet, I doubt he ever will. It's hard to call one of our prospects a bust, but if it walks like a duck...

Rebuild around Sennecke and Solberg. 2032 that cup is ours!

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I think most people are totally fine with that. The salary cap might not be as cool with it, though.
Eh, you let the cards fall where they may once a Cup is won.

I also feel like situations like Toronto where all of their top forwards are demanding market value is in part because they haven't won together. You win one, who knows? Maybe all of them take just a tiny hometown discount to keep the band together. Staal stuck on for a few years after the Cup, and the Pens were a Cup contender for those years.

Anyway. All good to fantasize.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Eh, you let the cards fall where they may once a Cup is won.

I also feel like situations like Toronto where all of their top forwards are demanding market value is in part because they haven't won together. You win one, who knows? Maybe all of them take just a tiny hometown discount to keep the band together. Staal stuck on for a few years after the Cup, and the Pens were a Cup contender for those years.

Anyway. All good to fantasize.

Max contracts are fine as long as it's spent on studs, not dudes more worried that their purse matches their shoes for after the game.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Now you know why no free agent wants to come here. Fk that
almost 40% of that is federal. Outside of the no tax states, youre only looking at a 3-10% difference. Not to mentions its only for half their games, and most of the guys that would make a difference are accumulating generational wealth on these contracts.

The main reason guys dont want to come here is because we suck, and its not a traditional market.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Trotz makes a very good case that winners want to win and it's the 2nd and 3rd tier players who are more interesting squeezing out the last dollar.

Reactions: Yemeth and Boo Boo

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Now you know why no free agent wants to come here. Fk that
IDK if you dont pay taxes, but less then 11% of that is CA state tax, and they only pay state tax when the game is in the state. Which means teams in states with no tax only dont pay taxes when they are home games (or in another tax free state).

For the record the Preds play 6 away games in tax free states.

So they save barely half the amount they would pay in state income tax. Which means we are talking around a 6% difference in income.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
As I myself am thinking I am likely leaving this state once I am done with university because the cost of living and taxes here are outrageous, I can't blame any athlete for also wanting to avoid this state for similar reasons
Agreed. Go f*** anyone who blames anyone for not chasing the bag. That’s what our capitalistic society created - right or wrong

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
IDK if you dont pay taxes, but less then 11% of that is CA state tax, and they only pay state tax when the game is in the state. Which means teams in states with no tax only dont pay taxes when they are home games (or in another tax free state).

For the record the Preds play 6 away games in tax free states.

So they save barely half the amount they would pay in state income tax. Which means we are talking around a 6% difference in income.
6% is 6%. You can act like it’s nothing all you want, but it isn’t. No one is saying it’s the main reason high profile players don’t come here. But it IS one of many factors

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think housing costs possibly play just as big a role as taxes. These guys must have toxic sticker shock when they see a house in a moderately upscale neighborhood is going to cost $2-3 million at least.

And I still maintain that for older players (i.e. 28 and above), excessive travel is increasingly unappealing to them.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
It is more expensive in California, because there is much more to offer then other states. It is worth the extra cost IMO. If the higher cost plays a negative role in the decision, so be it. I doubt it is the ONLY thing making the decision, and if it is, then I dont think we want the guy.

Reactions: JAHV

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
As I myself am thinking I am likely leaving this state once I am done with university because the cost of living and taxes here are outrageous, I can't blame any athlete for also wanting to avoid this state for similar reasons
I went round and round with a friend in Georgia on this. I had to work the numbers and even then he had trouble believing me. But due to the difference in income tax structure, a married couple paid more state income tax in Georgia than California until their taxable income exceeded $150,000 per year. The difference was that Georgia had a flat tax rate in excess of $10,000 per year income whereas California has a progressive tax rate, where the initial tax bracket starts well above $10,000 per year. The sales tax and property tax rates were not significantly different between the two states.

So for regular earners do not just assume that California taxes are high, or even higher than in other states. Check everything in the tax structure carefully, and you might be surprised.

Now, California does have higher property values. That may impact the cost of living. But then you don’t need heavy winter clothes, and you don’t need to winterize either your car or your house. So put a lot of effort into calculating the true cost of living in comparable areas.

Reactions: Bender66

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I went round and round with a friend in Georgia on this. I had to work the numbers and even then he had trouble believing me. But due to the difference in income tax structure, a married couple paid more state income tax in Georgia than California until their taxable income exceeded $150,000 per year. The difference was that Georgia had a flat tax rate in excess of $10,000 per year income whereas California has a progressive tax rate, where the initial tax bracket starts well above $10,000 per year. The sales tax and property tax rates were not significantly different between the two states.

So for regular earners do not just assume that California taxes are high, or even higher than in other states. Check everything in the tax structure carefully, and you might be surprised.

Now, California does have higher property values. That may impact the cost of living. But then you don’t need heavy winter clothes, and you don’t need to winterize either your car or your house. So put a lot of effort into calculating the true cost of living in comparable areas.
I've found that generally the more that people complain about taxes, the less they actually understand them. I used to work with a guy who would constantly say he wouldn't want a raise if it were offered, because it would put him in a higher tax bracket and he would actually make less money. Eventually you just change the subject and move on.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
While California taxes are high, and I do think our state leaders waste too much of our dollars, every state gets what it needs. Or they cut back on services.

If a state has no income tax, they are getting it from property, sales, or anywhere else.

For players it is moot since most are not long term residents. But for CA residents, especially long term, Prop 13 keeps property tax increases in check.

Most states re-assess based on current value. For long term residents they pay on an unrealized monetary increase in their home value.

John

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if taxes were the main reason players didn't want to sign here, they wouldn't be signing in LA or SJ either. but those teams don't seem to be having trouble signing guys. the ducks also didn't have trouble signing players during the 2010s when they were winning the division every season

the reality is that the ducks suck and no one wants to play for a losing team with an uncertain future. once this team is a winner again, that'll change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad