Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Why is Zegras automatically the odd man out? I don't get it. McTavish has also been not good defensively and not great at FOs. He's also been really inconsistent, has taken tons of penalties, and is not as popular with fans. We haven't had a fun, marketable guy since Selanne and we're tossing him away? Terry was pretty bad all around last year too.
Terry and Mac also each have the personality of wet bread.

Reactions: Beckett and DavidBL

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Why is Zegras automatically the odd man out? I don't get it. McTavish has also been not good defensively and not great at FOs. He's also been really inconsistent, has taken tons of penalties, and is not as popular with fans. We haven't had a fun, marketable guy since Selanne and we're tossing him away? Terry was pretty bad all around last year too.
While I don't want to trade either, if I had to, I would keep Z over Mac. They both suck equally defensively, both take unnecessary penalties but I think Z is better offensively. Like others have said, Z gets grief because he actually has a personality while Mac doesn't seem to have one other than acting like a robot.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Boring is great. Colorful personalities don't have any impact on the quality of hockey, so I'm fine with guys who just show up and play.
To each their own. I love that hockey fans are generally fans of teams and not players like in the NBA, but personalities are what drives casual fans. How many people in America can even name 3 MLS teams? But I would bet a lot more know that Messi plays in the MLS.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
To each their own. I love that hockey fans are generally fans of teams and not players like in the NBA, but personalities are what drives casual fans. How many people in America can even name 3 MLS teams? But I would bet a lot more know that Messi plays in the MLS.
I understand that I'm kind of an outlier in this regard (or, perhaps more depressingly, representative of an older generation even though I'm not that old). I don't consume social media and don't watch player interviews because they're usually painful; these guys are good at hockey, not necessarily at public speaking. Even during the game, I'm all for respect and humility; I don't care about trash-talk or celebrations.

The game needs casual fans to survive, and it needs those casual fans to become dedicated fans in order to grow. So I understand why color is important to the league and to teams. That's what attracts a lot of casual fans, especially the younger set.

I, however, will continue to ask you kindly to vacate my lawn.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I understand that I'm kind of an outlier in this regard (or, perhaps more depressingly, representative of an older generation even though I'm not that old). I don't consume social media and don't watch player interviews because they're usually painful; these guys are good at hockey, not necessarily at public speaking. Even during the game, I'm all for respect and humility; I don't care about trash-talk or celebrations.

The game needs casual fans to survive, and it needs those casual fans to become dedicated fans in order to grow. So I understand why color is important to the league and to teams. That's what attracts a lot of casual fans, especially the younger set.

I agree. I live on a corner. Kids walk over my lawn like it's a short cut they pay for, and not a lawn I pay for. I wish I had an indoor knob to turn my sprinklers on!

The hockey stuff you said was good too.

Reactions: JAHV

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agree. I live on a corner. Kids walk over my lawn like it's a short cut they pay for, and not a lawn I pay for. I wish I had an indoor knob to turn my sprinklers on!

The hockey stuff you said was good too.

There are wifi hose timers that will probably have a manual function. Could be worth the price to see those kids' expressions, and do some psyche conditioning. The kids might think the sprinklers are motion activated.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
LA Galaxy, Columbus Crew and DC United is all I can name.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles

Having a personality doesn't have to mean being obnoxious or being a troll. Selanne is a great example. Fun, passionate guy that loves the game and is great with fans.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
LA Galaxy, Columbus Crew and DC United is all I can name.
I've got the Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timber. Is the Chicago Fire still a thing?

Having a personality doesn't have to mean being obnoxious or being a troll. Selanne is a great example. Fun, passionate guy that loves the game and is great with fans.
That's fair. But I think that's just because Selanne was the best ever.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Maybe it's growing pains (or misremembering) - but there were times McTavish wasn't great out there.

Terry is Terry. I still consider him part of the 'old guard' that should've been shown the door years ago when Verbeek took over.

Hopefully Sennecke once he fills out can slot into a top-6 role and take Terry off that wing.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Maybe it's growing pains (or misremembering) - but there were times McTavish wasn't great out there.

Terry is Terry. I still consider him part of the 'old guard' that should've been shown the door years ago when Verbeek took over.

Hopefully Sennecke once he fills out can slot into a top-6 role and take Terry off that wing.
You already aren’t happy about how long it’s taken this team to get back to contention, trading Terry would make this process even longer

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I know a few cities (LA, Nashville, Miami) but I couldn't tell you the team names if my life depended on it. And I consider myself a sports fan in general.
Part of it is because I like the best league of a sport when I choose to follow a sport and MLS is inferior to the top league in UK and Germany. I can name the following top Premier League teams off the top of my head easier than MLS: Manchester United, Liverpool FC, Arsenal and Chelsea FC. If I liked Soccer i'd probably pick a team from UK over a MLS team.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Yup, let’s do a Double-dip rebuild. Trade Terry, Z and McT and build around Carlsson and Sennecke. :sarcasm:
You mean Carlsson, Sennecke and the next three Top 5 draft picks we'll earn when we trade away our young offensive forwards. We'll give new meaning to trying to win games from the blueline, or as the early Ducks teams used to tell Hebert, "Shut them out Guy and we'll try to score one for ya". :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad