Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What sucks about trading him is that he chose to sign with us despite having the option not to. I understand it's the way of the business, but kinda sucks for college guys like Moore and Colengelo to see that.

Colangelo's locked into a contract with the Ducks already. Moore has not signed; although, I don't know if he's a highly regarded prospect for someone to trade for and will probably just become an UFA... following other Harvard prospects.

I still don't understand why Verbeek played around with Colangelo, tbh.

Verbeek wants lots of darts. With lots of darts, there's gonna be plenty that won't be in Anaheim. Churn in and churn out. Guess we'll be like ruthless like Vegas, but for prospects.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
This is honestly why I would be fine with trading him now. I just don’t see him being able to increase his value with all of the guys in front of him. It’s possible, but not likely IMO.
Not saying he will accomplish this but one way to increase his value would be to work on/show that he can play on the right side. He would basically be guaranteeing himself at least a year's worth of games if he did.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I've found that generally the more that people complain about taxes, the less they actually understand them. I used to work with a guy who would constantly say he wouldn't want a raise if it were offered, because it would put him in a higher tax bracket and he would actually make less money. Eventually you just change the subject and move on.
Unfortunately most parents and high schools don't teach basic financial competency to kids. When people can't manage their finances and credit properly, and don't know how to live within their means, its very easy to get buried in a blackhole of debt and spiral into "zomg California is too expensive".

I remember when i got my first job out of college, making barely 35k in 2002. I lived within my means driving a shit box and saved up for like 7 yrs, and worked my ass off and got promoted until my salary was enough for me to buy a house and live the life i wanted.

Meanwhile, my co-workers and friends from college making the same 35k a year right out of college were spending $500 a month leasing a new BMW, and $3000 a month leasing a brand new condo in DTLA or LB, living like they were making 100k a yr. So even after they progressed in their career and were making same salary as me, they still couldnt' afford to buy a house and would bitch and whine about ca taxes, and cost of living. So they wind up moving back to florida, nashville or nebraska, and then they complain that even though housing and groceries are cheaper there, their salary is so much lower and now they whine just as much because they have to live texas or florida and the property taxes are so much higher, and they can't afford hurricane insurance on their house, and that it doesn't make a f***ing difference in actual liquid cash they can spend. lol

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Unfortunately most parents and high schools don't teach basic financial competency to kids. When people can't manage their finances and credit properly, and don't know how to live within their means, its very easy to get buried in a blackhole of debt and spiral into "zomg California is too expensive".

I remember when I got my first job out of college, making barely 35k in 2002. I lived within my means driving a shit box and saved up for like 7 yrs, and worked my ass off and got promoted until my salary was enough for me to buy a house and live the life I wanted.

Meanwhile, my co-workers and friends from college making the same 35k a year right out of college were spending $500 a month leasing a new BMW, and $3000 a month leasing a brand new condo in DTLA or LB, living like they were making 100k a yr. So even after they progressed in their career and were making same salary as me, they still couldnt' afford to buy a house and would bitch and whine about ca taxes, and cost of living. So they wind up moving back to florida, nashville or nebraska, and then they complain that even though housing and groceries are cheaper there, their salary is so much lower and now they whine just as much because they have to live texas or florida and the property taxes are so much higher, and they can't afford hurricane insurance on their house, and that it doesn't make a f***ing difference in actual liquid cash they can spend. lol
I have a very similar story (graduated in 2004 making $43k per year, which was pretty good for a kid right out of college at the time). I remember three years into my job, I was talking with one of my supervisors who was probably four years older than me and he asked me how I had saved so much money. Cheap car, small places to live, my wife and I cooking our own meals, general frugality, etc.

"Dang," he said. "I wish I could figure out how to save money. Well, have a nice weekend. I'm heading to Vegas."

"Weren't you there two weekends ago?"

"Yeah. It's how I unwind."

If that's what you like doing, feel free to do your thing. But we really need to do better for young people to educate and create awareness about what the cost of these things are, short-term and long-term.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
While I don't really put stock into the Vatrano stuff that was posted in here last week, I am starting to wonder if we may be looking to flip him if we can get the assets we need to acquire a RW or RHD. His low cap hit and the fact that the FA market has pretty much been cleaned out may make him pretty attractive to anyone looking for more offense, and if our front office doesn't want to (or can't) extend him and doesn't seem him coming close to replicating his 37 goal season, they may prefer to move him now than waiting until the deadline where his value could be much less.

Reactions: MCB

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
While I don't really put stock into the Vatrano stuff that was posted in here last week, I am starting to wonder if we may be looking to flip him if we can get the assets we need to acquire a RW or RHD. His low cap hit and the fact that the FA market has pretty much been cleaned out may make him pretty attractive to anyone looking for more offense, and if our front office doesn't want to (or can't) extend him and doesn't seem him coming close to replicating his 37 goal season, they may prefer to move him now than waiting until the deadline where his value could be much less.

That makes sense but unless it’s adding multiple young players, it goes against everything we’ve heard from Verbeek. I thought if we signed one of the bigger ufa’s, than moving Vatrano might happen, but now? We’re already short on goal scorers.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
My guess is Verbeek is we might be done for the offseason. I don’t see how Fabbri and Dumo fit what he said he wanted, but I think that might be it for a while. The exception is if another team pays us to take another cap dump. I doubt it though because we seem to charge more for that than other teams.

Reactions: Beckett

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That makes sense but unless it’s adding multiple young players, it goes against everything we’ve heard from Verbeek. I thought if we signed one of the bigger ufa’s, than moving Vatrano might happen, but now? We’re already short on goal scorers.
We've heard from him that he wants to add a top 6 RW and top 4 RHD. Obviously UFA would've been the most efficient way for this team to do so but that's behind us now. Only real option is a trade and if PV isn't ready yet to deal from our asset pool then we're going to have to get creative. Vatrano may have the right combination of being internally replaceable (have Killorn, Gauthier, maybe even Zegras at LW), valuable (retention would make his cap hit less than $2M for a 37 goal scoring winger), and the team having the motivation to move him (due a new contract in a year, they probably have an idea of what he wants on an extension by now, and his value likely only decreases from here on out) to where he could be moved to facilitate such a trade

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

That’s why I’m not putting any stock with trading Zegras now. If Verbeek stuck to his word and grabbed say: Stamkos and Arvidsson (instead of Fabbri) then yes, I’m more inclined to believe the rumors.

But with no real additional scoring was added and the roster wasn’t all that improved. It’s so important that we keep our goal scorers.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Since there isn't a 2025 draft thread yet I see that there is two RDs listed in the top10 on Tankathon should the Ducks be picking top10. #7 Hensler a RD who is 6'2 already and then there is #10 Trethewey who is 6'0. While seen as a forward heavy draft there could be a BPA RD where the Ducks pick. Drafting #10 overall would be an improvement over last year in the standings.

I'd like to see them improve more than that but realisticly this team should it stay healthy will be picking in #8 to #11 range. I believe they'll improve over last year but how much remains to be seen.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Since there isn't a 2025 draft thread yet I see that there is two RDs listed in the top10 on Tankathon should the Ducks be picking top10. #7 Hensler a RD who is 6'2 already and then there is #10 Trethewey who is 6'0. While seen as a forward heavy draft there could be a BPA RD where the Ducks pick. Drafting #10 overall would be an improvement over last year in the standings.

I'd like to see them improve more than that but realisticly this team should it stay healthy will be picking in #8 to #11 range. I believe they'll improve over last year but how much remains to be seen.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad