Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
NHL network new center ranking. Bedard at 13 right now??

saRQxIn.jpeg

AYH6Kyc.jpeg
I think I'd rather have hintz, stutzle or zibby

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Trotz might've dropped the ball on this one:

Askarov has a right to request the trade, but I very much dislike the rumour of him not showing up for training camp. The backup spot is like already his, and it shows a character flaw if he doesn't even want to show up for that...

I’m surprised that Askarov isn’t a Hawk yet. They could have their 1C,1D and 1G
No way the Preds trade him within the division, especially to one of Nashville's few rival teams.

Think again.
The best part of this clip is him putting his stick on top of the net and having it fall back on him.

Just yesterday I heard a goalie expert on local radio saying there’s a decent chance that Askarov is the next Vasi/Shesterkin.
Askarov has immense talent, and I would totally trade for him, but he is far from perfect. One of his problems is that he relies too much on his athletic ability to get him out of problems. I question his IQ because it is still incredibly important for a goaler. You need to read plays, predict where the puck is going, and keep tracking moving players out on the ice and remember their positions. He is still not very high in the intelligence category for me, but that could be due to him not having enough experience, or he simply does not have it. For these reasons, Wallstedt is still my favourite goaler prospect. He is not as athletic as Askarov is, but he has better structure and IQ for the position at this point in time. Askarov probably comes off as a prime Varlamov, which is still damn good, but Wallstedt has the ability to become Roberto Luongo 2.0.

Must have something else up their sleeves.
Long-term contracts to Bouchard and Draisaitl. I am pretty sure the Oilers don't want to be offer-sheeted Bouchard.

I mean Bedard was really good on a horrific team as an 18 year old. 13 may be high, but I don't think he's horribly far off.
There's no way he's better than Stutzle currently, though.

Reactions: Frenchy

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Askarov has a right to request the trade, but I very much dislike the rumour of him not showing up for training camp. The backup spot is like already his, and it shows a character flaw if he doesn't even want to show up for that...
Isn't he showing up to camp? He's just saying he's not reporting to the AHL team if he gets sent down.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Isn't he showing up to camp? He's just saying he's not reporting to the AHL team if he gets sent down.
I have seen reports that he does not want to join training camp if he's still with Nashville. I'm not sure how true those are, though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have seen reports that he does not want to join training camp if he's still with Nashville. I'm not sure how true those are, though.
If push came to shove, Askarov would report. Not doing so would result in a suspension and his contract being tolled.

Two things that are interesting and will be something to watch. Mitch Korn returns to the Preds and they immediately commit to Saros over Askarov along with keeping him in the AHL. Could be nothing, but that is very interesting to me. Arguably one of the best goalie coaches and evaluators of all time isn't stepping in to keel to Aksarov's demands. Second, Askarov's coach has joined Vancouver. Vancouver's GM is amongst the most aggressive in the league, Demko might be out into the regular season, and Silovs is exempt from waivers for another season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If push came to shove, Askarov would report. Not doing so would result in a suspension and his contract being tolled.
Well, if Trotz really wanted to make a point it is true that they hold the cards. Not sure how smart that would be from their perspective though, what look it gives to other players and agents they want to negotiate with in the future.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well, if Trotz really wanted to make a point it is true that they hold the cards. Not sure how smart that would be from their perspective though, what look it gives to other players and agents they want to negotiate with in the future.
Wouldn't it be worse to just give in and hand Askarov a NHL job? Sets the precedent that Preds' prospects can just go public with demands and force the hand of the organization.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Askarov should be good enough to take the backup job anyways. If not, why does anyone even want him. They should build his value up like Vancouver did with Schneider.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Askarov should be good enough to take the backup job anyways. If not, why does anyone even want him. They should build his value up like Vancouver did with Schneider.
This is the crux. Askarov lost the net in the AHL last season, and has not shown that he's a surefire NHLer right now. All of the hype is based on his potential, which is massive, but the results have not followed to this point. Any team taking a chance on him is simply taking the chance the he lives up to his 17/18 year old billing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Yager has potential. Not sure he'll be more impactful that McGroarty, but 3-5 years he could be a similar level player... he's just 2 seasons away from the NHL IMO. McGroarty can slide right into the the lineup for Pittsburgh this season as a wing and an outside chance he's their #2C in 25-26 is Malkin slides over to wing for his final season or falls on his face.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wasn't McGroarty's issue that he wasn't going to get guaranteed top six minutes in Winnipeg?

Is that something he's 100% getting under Sullivan in Pittsburgh?
He wanted guaranteed NHL role and immediately... which the internet has done internet things with. Still it is a prospect demanding to be in the league right away.

In Pitt though... he's getting a top 6 role. The best winger on the team is Rust followed by Bunting... then ummm.... Rakell?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I remember when New York sent Buchnevich to St. Louis for Blais in their attempt to get tougher because yadda yadda Tom Wilson, only for Blais to spend a vast majority of his time as a Ranger on IR, then got dealt back to St. Louis.

Totally get why Vancouver would want him but I'm not so sure he's an NHL player anymore, let alone someone who makes your team "harder to play against."

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I remember when New York sent Buchnevich to St. Louis for Blais in their attempt to get tougher because yadda yadda Tom Wilson
He was a wrecking ball during the Blues cup run and played an important part on their bottom 6.

I'm surprised that no team offerred him an NHL contract TBH. No one wants him as a 4th line winger at league minimum?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He was a wrecking ball during the Blues cup run and played an important part in their bottom 6.

I'm surprised that no team offerred him an NHL contract TBH. No one wants him as a 4th line winger at league minimum?
Well, he did nothing for the Rangers, and they gave up a very good, albeit problematic two-way player in order to get him.

Even the Blues were done with him after re-acquiring him. I'm guessing time and injuries have rendered him ineffective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad