Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Do we shit on Grier or not here, I'm confused.
In only 2 years of rebuilding he got a potential all star 1C, a potential middle of the road 1C, a potential 1D and a potential 1G

and there's a decent chance that all these players reach their ceiling.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So odds are Edstrom and ~20th pick for Askarov and a 3rd. Ritchie + 1st is a the rough equivalent here. Nashville got good value in a tough situation, San Jose got the player with the much higher ceiling.

In only 2 years of rebuild he got a potential all star 1C, a potential middle of the road 1C, a potential 1D and a potential 1G

I'm making jokes.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So odds are Edstrom and ~20th pick for Askarov and a 3rd. Ritchie + 1st is a the rough equivalent here. Nashville got good value in a tough situation, San Jose got the player with the much higher ceiling.
Shoud have pulled the trigger.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sherwood and Aman on the fourth line for cheap. Too bad they never got a shot here and Bednar insisted on playing guys like Jost and Kaut and OO who clearly had no NHL future.

I don't know about Aman, but Sherwood got a decent shot. He was fine, but didn't stand out enough to be upset with losing at the time. He was very good with the Eagles though.

I think the Avs have a history of underapreciating good 4th liners (less so recently), but if you're doing a risk/reward calculation for whether you give extra time to see if 1st round picks turn into good NHLers so you don't trade them too soon, versus giving extra time to pure 4th liners you might lose to UFA, I think you have to prioritize the 1st round picks.

Even if the results end up being the 4th liner was better than you thought, and the 1st round pick wasn't as good, it's still the right strategic decision IMO.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In only 2 years of rebuilding he got a potential all star 1C, a potential middle of the road 1C, a potential 1D and a potential 1G

Such a good GM for being able to tear it down and be lucky in a lottery :eyeroll:

Still has done awful job with his trades, aside from maybe this one. We don't know what the other teams were offering, but it's a steep price IMO considering the situation. If Askarov hits, well worth it of course.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Such a good GM for being able to tear it down and be lucky in a lottery :eyeroll:

Still has done awful job with his trades, aside from maybe this one. We don't know what the other teams were offering, but it's a steep price IMO considering the situation. If Askarov hits, well worth it of course.
I strongly disagree. It's hard to move old ass players and it's even harder to move long contracts with high AAV. When you combine old + high AAV + long contracts it's borderline unmovable but he still did it.

I really like the demolition job that Grier has done considering the absolute shitshow that he inherited... and now we're watching him stockpiling high end pieces like that. Damn.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I strongly disagree. It's hard to move old ass players and it's even harder to move long contracts with high AAV. When you combine old + high AAV + long contracts it's borderline unmovable but he still did it.

I really like the demolition job that Grier has done considering the absolute shitshow that he inherited.
Anyone could've moved Hertl and EK65 after the season he had and by retaining more, might've actually gotten proper value. Funny, how you are criticizing the Columbus ownership in the Around the league thread for taking poor value of Laine by not retaining, while Grier absolutely botched the value of Hertl and EK65 by doing some mickey mouse retentions that last for multiple years, taking up valuable retention slots that could also be used in brokering other deals. Maybe that was the ownership, who knows.

I do think the Sharks are moving well with their rebuild. But I think they could be even further along, if they had a smarter GM than Grier. Tearing down a team is pretty easy in the end. Then you just hope for lottery luck, which they got.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anyone could've moved Hertl and EK65 after the season he had and by retaining more, might've actually gotten proper value. Funny, how you are criticizing the Columbus ownership in the Around the league thread for taking poor value of Laine by not retaining, while Grier absolutely botched the value of Hertl and EK65 by doing some mickey mouse retentions that last for multiple years, taking up valuable retention slots that could also be used in brokering other deals. Maybe that was the ownership, who knows.

I do think the Sharks are moving well with their rebuild. But I think they could be even further along, if they had a smarter GM than Grier. Tearing down a team is pretty easy in the end. Then you just hope for lottery luck, which they got.
Dude, Laine's contract expires at age 28 (2 years left). EK at age 37 (had 5 years left). Hertl at age 36 (had over 6 years left).

The situations aren't the same at all.

The Pens and Vegas got f***ed, not the Sharks.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Dude, Laine's contract expires at age 28 (2 years left). EK at age 37 (had 5 years left). Hertl at age 36 (had over 6 years left).

The situations aren't the same at all.

The Pens and Vegas got f***ed, not the Sharks.
The Sharks did the right thing getting rid of those players, sure. But those trades were awful for the Sharks. They still retain some salary, so they are not completely out of them, and they are spending multiple years on valuable retention slots. And they did not get proper assets, because they didn't retain more. They half-assed the whole thing.

You either get out of those contracts in their entirety (which the Blue Jackets did with Laine) OR you retain like 50% and get a shit ton of assets. Now they did neither.

Reactions: Bender

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Sharks did the right thing getting rid of those players, sure. But those trades were awful for the Sharks. They still retain some salary, so they are not completely out of them, and they are spending multiple years on valuable retention slots. And they did not get proper assets, because they didn't retain more. They half-assed the whole thing.

You either get out of those contracts in their entirety (which the Blue Jackets did with Laine) OR you retain like 50% and get a shit ton of assets. Now they did neither.
The Sharks could have but projecting that you won't need the cap space for 4-5 years down the line is a lot tougher than 2 years.

Now if CBJ turn around and spend the Laine cap hit on other players it's going to be another story...but if ownership chose to pocket the money instead of getting a return and keeping their 2nd round pick it's a damn shame and IMO a lot worse than what the Sharks did.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Will be interesting to see what the Canucks do here. Lankinen is still available, but what message does that send to Silovs? But are they ready to just run with Silovs and some nobody?

Demko is eligible for an extension next summer. He would have to be pretty lights out and have the Canucks go deep this year to justify commitment at this point. Guy is made of glass.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Welp, didn't expect august to have this much action:laugh:

So, San Jose basically traded Hertl and a 3rd-rounder for Askarov?..
Also, boy, is Edstrom getting passed around:laugh::huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad