Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man, PuckPedia has been around for years, and they were handed a golden ticket with CapGeek going away, but they still haven't built a decent website.

Hurts my brain trying to read and find info. Too much info on the main team pages.

Just make it cleaner and change some of the stupid fonts they use and make them bigger. And don't bury the roster towards the bottom of the page under stuff like News. That's the main thing people are looking for, put it towards the top. You don't need News and a Twitter feed distracting the viewer by taking up so much space.

They've got a short window to figure this out. If they can't build a decent website this year, someone else will, and they will be the go to source from then on just based on reputation.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know much about Edstrom but on the surface it appears like a solid trade for the Sharks if Askarov hits.

Good for Grier for making a move that might actually help his team this time rather than the team he's trading with.

Reactions: dahrougem2

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Man, PuckPedia has been around for years, and they were handed a golden ticket with CapGeek going away, but they still haven't built a decent website.

Hurts my brain trying to read and find info. Too much info on the main team pages.

Just make it cleaner and change some of the stupid fonts they use and make them bigger. And don't bury the roster towards the bottom of the page under stuff like News. That's the main thing people are looking for, put it towards the top. You don't need News and a Twitter feed distracting the viewer by taking up so much space.

They've got a short window to figure this out. If they can't build a decent website this year, someone else will, and they will be the go to source from then on just based on reputation.
CapWages - NHL Salary Cap Data has a much better layout (basically identical to CapFriendly - hey it works). Don't know how reliable they are and how fast they are updating.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Will be interesting to see what the Canucks do here. Lankinen is still available, but what message does that send to Silovs? But are they ready to just run with Silovs and some nobody?

Demko is eligible for an extension next summer. He would have to be pretty lights out and have the Canucks go deep this year to justify commitment at this point. Guy is made of glass.

It was reported during the playoffs that he had a serious injury that might be an ACL. Canucks wouldn't confirm and even leaked to their favourite reporters that he hasn't been ruled out for the next round. People then crushed that reporter and called her every name in the book for claiming it was serious. Now he has already been ruled out for all of training camp, preseason, and the start of the season is in doubt.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
CapWages - NHL Salary Cap Data has a much better layout (basically identical to CapFriendly - hey it works). Don't know how reliable they are and how fast they are updating.

Yeah, I knew there was another option, but couldn't find the name. I've been checked out on hockey most of the summer.

Looks a little better. They need to space things out a bit more on their team pages though.

Thanks!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Preds are dangerous this year man. Not only have they improved that roster a lot... They have an unbelievable amount of quality draft pick capital to outbid everyone on the top guys they want at the deadline.

They look like a team that should threaten for home ice in the first round now that will only look even stronger when the playoffs actually start.

That being said, they're also old so who knows. A number of guys on that team are pretty good candidates for regression so they could just as easily struggle for a lot of the year and subsequently not even be buyers at the deadline.

Either way it feels like Trotz has a lot of options to work with. He's done a great job.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Barry Trotz after letting a player go:

iu

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I don't know about Aman, but Sherwood got a decent shot. He was fine, but didn't stand out enough to be upset with losing at the time. He was very good with the Eagles though.

I think the Avs have a history of underapreciating good 4th liners (less so recently), but if you're doing a risk/reward calculation for whether you give extra time to see if 1st round picks turn into good NHLers so you don't trade them too soon, versus giving extra time to pure 4th liners you might lose to UFA, I think you have to prioritize the 1st round picks.

Even if the results end up being the 4th liner was better than you thought, and the 1st round pick wasn't as good, it's still the right strategic decision IMO.
I'd agree for Jost it was worth it. He's marginal but showed he was a real NHL player and by all accounts has a good attitude.

But the Kauts and OOs of the world should be left in the AHL.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
A-Haaaaa! Our firstrounder is SMALLER than the Sharks's.

And everything that takes away the focus from the buyout column (read Ryan Johansen and Matt Duchene) is good distraction!

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd agree for Jost it was worth it. He's marginal but showed he was a real NHL player and by all accounts has a good attitude.

But the Kauts and OOs of the world should be left in the AHL.

I would agree on that distinction. They should have to play well enough to earn NHL games. That comment was more of a general one.

I'm ok with how they handled Kaut and OO though. OO's only had 2 NHL games. Kaut, I was ok with getting a few games a year. His final year he played his best, but I also think they had probably already decided to use him as a trade chip, so they wanted to showcase him by playing him more.

In a way, playing Kaut more, might have got them that pure 4th line type in Nieto anyway.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Preds are dangerous this year man. Not only have they improved that roster a lot... They have an unbelievable amount of quality draft pick capital to outbid everyone on the top guys they want at the deadline.

They look like a team that should threaten for home ice in the first round now that will only look even stronger when the playoffs actually start.

That being said, they're also old so who knows. A number of guys on that team are pretty good candidates for regression so they could just as easily struggle for a lot of the year and subsequently not even be buyers at the deadline.

Either way it feels like Trotz has a lot of options to work with. He's done a great job.
Trotz did a great job if ownership forced him to compete. They’ll get a dead cat bounce and maybe even win a round or two if everything works out perfectly.

But they aren’t going to win the cup and are going to be stuck in no man’s land for the foreseeable future… again.

Reactions: Linds

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Their C core doesn't scare me. ROR is still decent, but is also at an age where he's gonna fall off a cliff pretty heavily, Novak is decent but still not a plus 2C, Sissons is just not a good 3C and McCarron is also pretty meh 4C. Definitely have some pieces for the future but idk I'm not entirely worried about them yet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Trotz did a great job if ownership forced him to compete. They’ll get a dead cat bounce and maybe even win a round or two if everything works out perfectly.

But they aren’t going to win the cup and are going to be stuck in no man’s land for the foreseeable future… again.

Why do you think that?

They have 3 1st round picks this year and 2 2nds. In the last 2 drafts they've made 11 picks in the first 3 rounds.

It's not like they've completely mortgaged the future to build the team.they have now. Not even remotely close.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Preds need to hit a home run or two on game breakers. I think there pool already has a lot of good players, but not many who project to top guys. Picking in the middle or later of the 1st makes it hard to get those top guys too. If they find a couple though… they’ll be a top team again.

And we’re going to absolutely hate L’Heureux

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Preds need to hit a home run or two on game breakers. I think there pool already has a lot of good players, but not many who project to top guys. Picking in the middle or later of the 1st makes it hard to get those top guys too. If they find a couple though… they’ll be a top team again.

And we’re going to absolutely hate L’Heureux
I still wonder if L'Heureux was one the Avs really wanted in the Covid draft ahead of OO, since the Preds moved up to the pick ahead of the Avs to snag him, or if it's a coincident since that pick belonged to the Canes and they're always willing to trade down:dunno:

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Why do you think that?

They have 3 1st round picks this year and 2 2nds. In the last 2 drafts they've made 11 picks in the first 3 rounds.

It's not like they've completely mortgaged the future to build the team.they have now. Not even remotely close.
They can add a lot of cheap depth for the next few deadlines.

If their aging top guys fall off a cliff that depth may not matter. Worthy gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad