Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
We’re not gonna have Landy, Nuke, Lehky to begin the season. So what does the roster look like to start the season as far as the forwards?

Drouin-MacK-Mikko
LOC-Mittelstadt-Wood
Kovy-Colton-Ritchie
Kelly-Wagner-Kiviranta

I guess that’s what we go with
If none of them are ready we'll probably sign a bum like Kubalik/Yamamato/Lablanc to fill-in until they're ready or claim a reclamation project.

Reactions: the_fan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Queue the agonized Montreal Canadiens fan (the lady). I was cracking up when they showed her reaction to the Kotka pick live.
F1CiTfh.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Elite forward hitting another higher tier would have an impact.
He's going to be the highest paid player in the league, that is already established. Unless he signs for like 15mil, don't see how that affects Rantanen.

Draisaitl could get 14.5, that doesn't give Rantanen the case for making more than MacKinnon. Different positions, different players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's going to be the highest paid player in the league, that is already established. Unless he signs for like 15mil, don't see how that affects Rantanen.

Draisaitl could get 14.5, that doesn't give Rantanen the case for making more than MacKinnon. Different positions, different players.
Rising tide lifts all boats. Probably a miniscule difference between 13.5 and 14... but 14.5-15-15.5 it starts to add up. Especially as we pierce the hit as a percentage of cap ceiling that McDavid set.

The biggest argument for Rants getting more than MacK is simply the cap growing over time. MacK was about 15.2% of the cap in the first year of his deal. That same amount on a ~92m cap is ~14m. Pasta was 13.6% of the cap... that same amount is a shade over 12.5. Now if Drai gets 16% of the cap (14.7m), we'd have a resetting of McDavid's 15.7%. That rising tide could add a few tenths to Pasta's percentage. Say a 13.9... which would put him at ~12.8m.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
How much is the cap rising in the next few seasons? What's a good guess of where it'll be at in say 3 years?

I just don't see how you can give Rantanen the same deal as MacK and contend unless the cap is really going to jump in 2-3 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How much is the cap rising in the next few seasons? What's a good guess of where it'll be at in say 3 years?

I just don't see how you can give Rantanen the same deal as MacK and contend unless the cap is really going to jump in 2-3 years.
It is basically mandated in the MoU that it is a 5% increase as long as revenues are fine (and they are currently... which is the critical number for the 25-26 cap based on the calculations). So 88m to ~92m for 25-26 Then we have the CBA risk in 2026. Where negotiations could go any which way and we really don't know until that negotiation is cleared. Given the financial health of the league being pretty good, as long as the Canadian TV deal doesn't go tits up or the RSO situation spiral in the next year... odds are it will increase somewhere in the 2-6% range.

The contending part is going to be over shortly anyway, even the wildly optimistic have to admit that. Rants' deal is as much about PR and fanfare as it is competing. The Avs simply can't take the hit of Rantanen walking... on the ice, or off.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
It is basically mandated in the MoU that it is a 5% increase as long as revenues are fine (and they are currently... which is the critical number for the 25-26 cap based on the calculations). So 88m to ~92m for 25-26 Then we have the CBA risk in 2026. Where negotiations could go any which way and we really don't know until that negotiation is cleared. Given the financial health of the league being pretty good, as long as the Canadian TV deal doesn't go tits up or the RSO situation spiral in the next year... odds are it will increase somewhere in the 2-6% range.

The contending part is going to be over shortly anyway, even the wildly optimistic have to admit that. Rants' deal is as much about PR and fanfare as it is competing. The Avs simply can't take the hit of Rantanen walking... on the ice, or off.

Makes sense.

Avs are absolutely in the spot where any season the wheels could come off now. If the Landy/Nuke situations work out I think we'll be a top 5 team but doubtful both work out. It's coming to an end soon for sure tho. Avs can't lose Mikko and they were never going to trade him but I hope they don't give him 13m or anything crazy like that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Makes sense.

Avs are absolutely in the spot where any season the wheels could come off now. If the Landy/Nuke situations work out I think we'll be a top 5 team but doubtful both work out. It's coming to an end soon for sure tho. Avs can't lose Mikko and they were never going to trade him but I hope they don't give him 13m or anything crazy like that.
And strictly IMO... the difference between 13 and 14m will not at all extend any contention. Yeah a million could be useful, but the other issues on the roster are far more critical than whatever Rants ends up getting. Selfishly I want Rants under 11m and would be very happy with 12m. 3 years from now and only 2 years into the deal... I just don't think it matters all that much.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

That’s the point.

Rants will absolutely get that deal if not more and you’re right, we won’t contend. Also have Cale due for another big raise that can be negotiated in 2 summers.

Our window is closing fast if not already closed.

We had MacK, Makar and Rantanen barely making $15m combined and won 1 Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad